Legal to Drive or not?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Dec 2015 15:43 by AlanB747 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Help needed please? I am a Spanish resident with a Spanish registered car and Spanish driving licence. I will be moving back to the UK at the end of February 2016. I have received an offer to buy my car from me a day or so before my departure date and sell me a UK Regd vehicle in its place. Such an arrangement is attractive to me but I am not sure whether it would be legal for me as a Spanish resident to take delivery of and drive a UK reg'd vehicle. De-registering as a resident before taking delivery of the car seems a possible way to overcome this but I would need to make the trip home using my Spanish Licence as I will not be able to exchange this for a UK one until I actually arrive back in the UK and get a UK address. However,I have been told by several people that it is illegal for a Spanish non-resident to hold and/or drive a vehicle using a Spanish Licence. Is there a way of dealing with this situation through Trafico which would enable me to legally drive my ‘new’ car back to the UK and change my licence as soon as possible afterwards?

Like 0      
15 Dec 2015 16:08 by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1112 posts Send private message

Direct from the DVLA website:

You can drive in Great Britain on a full, valid driving licence from another EU country until you’re 70, or for 3 years after becoming resident in Great Britain, whichever is longer.


Like 0      
15 Dec 2015 16:55 by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1837 posts Send private message

.And in any event Spanish law only applies in Spain. Not France or UK. Make an advanced appointment in UK on line for an MOT if you need one and keep a copy.


This message was last edited by Mickyfinn on 15/12/2015.

Time is the school in which we learn Time is the fire in which we burn. Delmore Schwartz.

Like 0      
15 Dec 2015 17:49 by newbie Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

Thank you for your replies.  I am aware of the rules regarding driving on an EU licence whilst in the UK.   What I was asking is - am I as a Spanish Resident holding a Spanish driving licence legally allowed to drive a British registered car in Spain.  I have been told my a friend that to do so would be breaking the law and if I were to have an accident whilst travelling through Spain en route to the UK my insurance would be invalidated and I could be in trouble with the police.  I am reluctant to swap my Spanish registered car for the UK one if I am inviting possible problems.


This message was last edited by newbie on 15/12/2015.

Like 0      
15 Dec 2015 17:56 by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1112 posts Send private message

I'm assuming it's an EU driving license. The pink one with your photo on.

It is legal to drive on this in any EU country. I think the ones who told you about driving on the license are confusing the driving of a Spanish reg car in UK (or a UK one in Spain). If you couldn't drive a UK reg car with a Spanish license then you couldn't hire a car in UK as they are UK registered cars

PS There are also many, many non-residents in Spain driving Spanish reg cars with a UK license. People who have holiday homes with a Spanish reg car, for example and it is perfectly legal.






This message was last edited by mariedav on 15/12/2015.

Like 0      
15 Dec 2015 18:48 by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 779 posts Send private message

Think you and your friend are confusing being a Spanish Nationalist with being born in UK but conforming to the Spanish law of driving licence and by  signing on the foreign residents register.

Where is Johnzx when needed.

Like 0      
15 Dec 2015 19:49 by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1112 posts Send private message

"Baja" your Spanish residency as it won't be doing you any good then. Easy. Can't for the life of me see how it would invalidate insurance, though.

Like 0      
15 Dec 2015 20:37 by AlanB747 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

We had already considered relinquishing our residency as a possible solution but the question then is 'Is it permissible to hold and/or drive using a Spanish driving licence if you are a non-resident?  If the answer is no, you are driving illegally thus invalidating your insurance.  No?

Like 0      
15 Dec 2015 22:14 by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1112 posts Send private message

I don't think it's got anything to do with the license. I think it's more the driving a foreign plated vehicle so your license would still be valid. I agree, you can't drive a foreign registered car if you are a resident (either in Spain or in UK) but that's to do with registration of vehicles.

And there are plenty of residents in Spain driving Spanish registered vehicles with a UK license.

However, take your name off the register of foreign nationals resident in Spain if you are really worried about it. You can then drive the Spanish car until you swap it and then the UK car to drive home. There would be no advantage of staying on the register if you are leaving.



Like 0      
15 Dec 2015 22:33 by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 386 posts Send private message

I think that you have all misunderstood the problem. The simple answer is that under E.U. law it is illegal for any resident of an E.U. country to permanently OWN a foreign registered car in your country of residence.  However if you are only going to be in your country of residence with a foreign plated car for a short time and preferably have proof that the car will be leaving the country in a 'short' time then it is o.k. Normally accepted proof is a ferry ticket for that vehicle withing 6 months of it entering the country.

There is no problem in driving a foreign plated vehicle in your country of residence, the problem arrives when you own the foreign plated vehicle.


Like 0      
16 Dec 2015 09:35 by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1755 posts Send private message

As far as I understand any resident who holds a licence in that country cannot drive a foreign registered car in that country there are exceptions

I would call dvla and enquire at the traffic in Spain

Then ask your insurance company

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge”

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Loan offer at 2% Interest rate - 0 posts
dog travelling security - 4 posts
Community with a tourist license - 4 posts
where is best to advertise when looking for a used car - 3 posts
Angela - 7 posts
"False Lawyers" under investigation in Spain - 5 posts
CostaLuz Lawyers are the slowest Property Conveyancers in the country - 0 posts
TVaway IPTV - 6 posts
Xmas day lunch? Any recommendations in Malaga Centre or Benalmadena or surrounding area? - 2 posts
Spanish banks not issuing bank guarantees - Fortuna Golf development - 6 posts
Legal protection for communities - 12 posts
Must vote be taken annually on appointment of administrator. - 5 posts
Wanted A4 Wall mounted displays - 0 posts
Internet - 1 posts
Fortuna Golf Deposit Return - 11 posts
Fortuna Golf - 2 posts
Anyone got a Solmar contract handy please? - 1 posts
Act on Disabled perons and social inclusion in Spain - 0 posts
Renewing DL in Spain - 7 posts
rental - 6 posts
Employment - 3 posts
car hire in alicante airport - 29 posts
Obtaining a licence in Andalusia (Granada) - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x