UK EEC Referendum

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Nov 2015 10:59 AM by Nels Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

In the forthcoming referedum on UK membership of the EEC, we are told that ex pats who have lived abroad for less that 15 yrs can have a vote. Over that NO CHANCE. To vote they must register on the electoral role where they lived previously in the UK, BUT the problem is the paperwork is sent out to the voter approx one week prior to voting, with no chance of returning before the deadline for voting in the UK!!! (this happened in the last UK general election.)

If the referendum goes against us, then several things could happen, 

1. Our National Health cover here in Spain is stopped !

2. Our State pensions would be 'frozen' as in Australia.

3. We might be expected to take Spanish Nationality to avoid some problems, thereby some getting problems with inheritance tax.

4. We could be asked to pay a 'lump sum' to Spain,in advance to cover our health and social care because the UK at present pays for us, if I believe, we are retired, and over 65. Few could afford that!

Because ALL ex pats will in some way be effected would it be a good idea to make our feelings known in the following way?

I suggest INDIVIDUAL letters / e mails (facility on prime ministers web site) to be sent to 10 Downing street, (I did this with a recent TAX problem and Cameron's office dealt with it immediately and quickly) 

I suggest that members, state, and request that if the referendum goes against the Ex pats here in the EEC, that at least the status quo be kept as regards to those already here, and that changes only apply to those 'future' ex pats who can consider these points before they commit to ex pat life.

This would seem to be the kindest way to treat ex pat pensioners.

This message was last edited by Nels on 25/11/2015.

Like 1      
25 Nov 2015 11:17 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

BUT the problem is the paperwork is sent out to the voter approx one week prior to voting, with no chance of returning before the deadline for voting in the UK!!! (this happened in the last UK general election.)

Yes Nels that happened to my paperwork to, no chance to get the vote back in time.

You have to remember that there are approximately 100,000 Spanish people living in the UK - If the UK does vote to leave I'm hoping that there will be reciprocal agreements put in place to safeguard both sets of expats

Like 0      
25 Nov 2015 12:02 PM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

Just to be pedantic, it's the EU referendum. If it had remained the EEC maybe more people would be voting to stay in.

Like 1      
25 Nov 2015 2:03 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Nels

There are many (in fact most) agreements between UK & Spain which will not be affected by the UK leaving the EU. Unless of course the UK and Spain decide to re negotiate!

As an example the S1 form for health care is applicable in for expats who retire to Switzereland who are not part of EU

I doubt any of the 4 things you mentioned would (or even could) happen. I have seen nothing that remotely suggests that any of these could (or will) happen from any official source - have you or are they simply your guess?

I for one will be voting to stay in the EU

Like 1      
28 Nov 2015 6:26 PM by brittanyman Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hello,we are living in France now,but in the nineties we also lived on the Costa Blanca,I sincerely agree with the article about what if Britain leaves the EU,the present Tory government has no interest what so ever in British people who decide for what ever reason to go and live abroad,retired or not,I would be very upset if I had voted Tory in the last election,as they have not kept their promise to recind the stupid 15 year rule,as for voting in the EU Referendum,do what we did for the last General Election,contact the Town Hall,where you last lived in the UK,give them your old address,and also the name and address of a Proxy who can vote on your behalf,it takes a bit of time but its worth the effort!Also contact your MP in the borough where you last lived,you have to contact the House of Commons,but again its worth it!Tell him or her what would happen to you if the vote is an 'out'one,lay it on the line!especially if its a Tory!As expats we have a friend in the House of Lords,Lord Hannay,( cross-bencher) has tried unsuccessfully to recind the 15 year rule but was outvoted,yes you've guessed it!by Tory Lords,contact him and say what might happen if its 'out'.By the way all this can be achieved by e-mail,what would we do without it! Remember, after the referendum its to late, the Torys are capable of anything! Good Luck my fellow expats,keep on fighting!

Like 0      
28 Nov 2015 7:27 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Don't know why you harked on about the "Tories" in that. The strong opposition to extending the 15 year limit is actually from the Labour side of the house. The Lib Dems (Baroness Miller) proposed it but it was defeated by 214 to 116. Lord Lexton (Con) openly stated the

the Conservative Party is committed

to enfranchising them, but the promised Bill to do so has not appeared. The right thing to do, and this is a Government that pride themselves on doing the right thing, is to make provision for them to take part in the referendum through this Bill.

Lord Hamilton of Epsom (Lab) was strongly against and stated:

All the time, we seem to be trying to change the existing electoral register in favour of those who are more likely to vote to stay in than they are to leave. This is quite clearly changing the whole thing in favour of those who want to stay in the EU. I do not know why the noble Lord actually denies this. Does he really think that people living in the EU for more than 15 years will vote to come out? It is extremely unlikely. He knows that as well as anybody else. We have established that there is an electoral register and now we are starting to mess about with it.

And if you look at the vote, you will see the Labour peers were more "not content" than any other party.

Regardless of your views on in or out (and I'm still waiting for a detailed study on how it will or won't affect us) then trying to score cheap (and false) political points won't help in the slightest.

Like 1      
28 Nov 2015 7:54 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Sorry but I think if you have not lived in the UK for a period of time why should you get a vote on anything to do with the UK with the exceptions of govt or military overseas postings

If an individual chooses to reside and work permanently in another country and is a registered resident of that country and probably votes in that country then why should they get a say (vote) in what happens in the UK 

A 15 year period of absence is pretty fair and IMO it should be reduced to 5 years.

Like 2      
28 Nov 2015 8:08 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Unless you take out citizenship (as opposed to residency) you can't vote except for local (council) and European elections in Spain.  As this actual vote will affect all those living in the EU, then I think it only fair those Briish citizens actually living in the EU should get a say.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2015 8:15 PM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

Have to agree that people that voted with their feet to leave the Uk over 15 years ago should not get to vote in Uk elections. If you are worried about your status if or when the Uk votes to leave the EU you have the option of taking citizenship of whatever country you reside in. Seems fair to me.

Like 1      
28 Nov 2015 9:08 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

mariedav

how many poeple who did not live in scotland got to vote on Scotlands independance? If I recall correctly it was only residents of Scotland and even Scottish born who lived outside of scotland could not vote

Like 0      
28 Nov 2015 9:24 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

A bit different in this one, Tadd. In the Scottish one, anyone living in Scotland could vote regardless of where they originated. In the EU referendum then EU nationals resident in UK will not be allowed to vote. However Irish, Commonwealth, Cypriots,and Maltese will. Those living in Gibraltar will also be able to vote. Even members of the House of Lords can vote in it which they can't in general elections (along with certified insane and prisoners).

I agree that moving abroad should mean there is no right to vote in UK elections (such as council ones and general elections) but the EU referendum will have a direct impact on those of us living here so we should at least get some sort of say in it. It would be different on a matter purely affecting those citizens living in UK but this one certainly does not.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2015 9:30 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Have to agree that people that voted with their feet to leave the Uk over 15 years ago should not get to vote in Uk elections. If you are worried about your status if or when the Uk votes to leave the EU you have the option of taking citizenship of whatever country you reside in. Seems fair to me.

I'd go along with that if UK would not insist that I MUST pay the tax on my pension there. If they are going to spend my tax money I don't think it is unreasonable that get a say in what  they spend it on.

Like 2      
28 Nov 2015 11:07 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

5, 10.15 years - you have to draw the line somewhere!  15 years to me sounds about right.

Does he really think that people living in the EU for more than 15 years will vote to come out? It is extremely unlikely

I think it's probably unlikely that any UK expat living in the EU will vote to leave

Like 0      
29 Nov 2015 10:02 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

mareidav

Sorry but I do not see how the scottish vote differs (other than the fact the voting rules are different) the principle is the same

the people who live their had the vote to leave (and the ones who did not live their did not have a vote) the union (UK), the UK now have a vote to leave the union (EU).

Similar rules as Gib in 2002 qnd falklands in 2013

why should anyone who has not lived in the Uk for a number of years get a vote on how the country that they do not live in is run?

johnzx had a fair point about him paying UK tax on his pension however, can we take from this that only expat tax payers should get a vote or even worse only tax payers vote - i dont think that would be right

I really hope teh Uk stays in the EU

Like 1      
29 Nov 2015 11:02 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

On a broader front.     

Why should anyone who cannot display the knowledge to make a reasoned decision be allowed to decide  other people’s  futures.  

OK argumentative,   but who would be on a plane,  train, bus, under the surgeons knife, , etc. with a new applicant for the job , who has no experience of flying, driving etc. ?

Like 0      
29 Nov 2015 2:10 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

johnzx

I think you are stretching it a bitwink

Mind you I can think of a few on here who don't display the knowledge to make a reasoned decision wink

Like 0      
29 Nov 2015 3:30 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

If I had a vote,  I would need to do a lot more research before I could honestly say I have enough knowledge to vote responsibly.   Although it seems immodest,  think I have a lot more knowledge that many who will vote.

have dual nationality, so as an Irishman I don't really care what UK decides.  However, if UK did pull out, it might give the EU just the shot in the arm that is needed to stop their plans for a United States of Europe.

Like 0      
29 Nov 2015 3:32 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

On a different point, have any of you lobbied MEPs or the European Commissioners for reform of the EU?

Like 0      
29 Nov 2015 4:49 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

johnzx

I would love to see a united states of Europe with equality for all

as I have said before

do I care about the £ NO

do i care about sovereignty NO

do I care about national pride NO

do I care if the banks are ruled by London NO

Is the UK as great, fair and as special as it thinks NO

do I care about equal state health care for all YES
do I care about jobs for all YES

do I care about good housing for all YES

do I care about equal and fair pensions for all YES
do i care about equal and fair education for all YES
do I care about a fair welfare state for those that need it YES

I believe that together, in time, the EU can and will provide the YES's but the UK will never do it because of greed, selfishness, nationallistic stupidity and elitism

Like 1      
29 Nov 2015 5:21 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I would love to see a united states of Europe with equality for all  as I have said before

That would be fine.  if that's what the majority voted for, but the problem I see is that although most Brits (People living in the UK) might want more or less something similar to what you and I want ,  i.e your Yes’s and No’ ,  what if, a large majority of those living in the rest of the EU want something different. 

Say they were to vote NO to all your (our) yes's and YES to all your (our) no's.  

Then that’s what we would end up with.

At present UK citizens have 1 in 64 million votes  what happens to them

In a United State of Europe each citizen  would have a 1 in 742 million vote what happens to them.

So 64 million Brits could vote for a free National Health System, but would not have it if most of the other 678  million voted against it.

Just a thought.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 29/11/2015.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Driving car in Spain with UK road tax. - 16 posts
Sold our Spanish Holiday Home.. no regrets - 26 posts
Endesa Smartphone App - 0 posts
Lawyers fees for taxes - 3 posts
Autonomo Question - 6 posts
Going up - or Down? - 35 posts
¿ Any Househunters in Murcia w/c 30th November 2015 ? - 0 posts
Case Won - 3 posts
HEALTH INSURANCE - 5 posts
IBI on static caravans - 5 posts
Back dated refuse collection taxes from La Linea - 2 posts
Moving to Denia - 7 posts
Electricty use - 20 posts
Moving House with a lot of pot plants - 0 posts
Cleaning Contract UK - 1 posts
Fibre Optic Suppliers in Spain - 5 posts
Goose - 4 posts
Looking for a perfect school! - 9 posts
International Black and White Association - 4 posts
Prescriptions posted from overseas or made in Seville - 1 posts
occupation licence - 21 posts
looking for work in the murcia area - 6 posts
Paris - 39 posts
looking to buy exercise equiptment - 0 posts
ELS clients files - how can anyone access their files now the firm has closed?? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 31

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x