Lawyers fees for taxes

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Nov 2015 1:32 PM by Traceyc Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

We have recently purchased a house in Spain and the lawyer has set up direct debits to pay the electricity, water and community fees. They are wanting us to pay them 95€ + VAT each year as a legal care package to sort out any problems with bills and 105€ + VAT each year to calculate and submit our non resident tax.  This seems a lot of money to me,  are these things so difficult to manage in Spain that I would need their help or could I sort this out myself. I have thought about paying this for the first year to give me some guidance as I what needs to be paid when.  I would be grateful of any advice.

We know we must make a will and the lawyers are wanting us to do this through them, but is this necessary?

Like 0      
24 Nov 2015 2:01 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Utilities and community charges can be done by simply setting up a direct debit with the bank. No need to use a solicitor for this. The solicitor only gets involved if they are nominated fiscal reps and all the bills come to them for paying. Do it yourself including SUMA (local taxes) payments as well. Very easy just to set up the direct debits.

€105 a year to submit your non-res imputed tax return is also a bit high. I think we paid about 50 or 60 euro for the two of us. Non-res taxes aren't that difficult to do yourself once it's been set up.

We currently pay €140 a year between us for advice, full income tax returns and everything else you'd need a solicitor for.

Like 0      
24 Nov 2015 6:36 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Traceyc   We know we must make a will and the lawyers are wanting us to do this through them, but is this necessary?

Well it is of course most advisable but there is no MUST that one has to make a Will.

All Wills must be signed before a notary, that is so no matter who has drawn it up.

I have made a Will several times and I have helped my family do the same, never used a solicitor. Very straught forward, cost about 50 euros, at a notary's office..

Most Wills are very simple and in any case the notary will put you right in most cases. They use a pro-forma, which they call-up and amend.  Example:  I had forgotten to mention what I wanted, if we both died at the same time or my wife died before me.  The notary's clerk prompted me, as it is necessity to include that in the Will.

So,   "Very Simple"  and not expensive at 50€. Just make an appointment with a Notary.  Don't forget to take your original passport, it is the ONLY legal I.D. we Brits have.

PS  I was recently listening to a lawyer on the Radio.   He was talking about making Wills, but he did not mention, and for those who do not know, it is important,  in Spain the person inheriting pays the tax on what they are left, not the deceased's estate (as in UK).  And one cannot liquidate the asset (e.g. sell the house) to get the money to pay the tax

This message was last edited by johnzx on 25/11/2015.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2015 2:29 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

After Brussels IV, if you become resident in Spain and you still want  UK law to apply to your inheritance affairs, it is necessary, to make a Spanish will.

In rest of cases... it is, as Johnzx says just advisable

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Autonomo Question - 6 posts
Going up - or Down? - 35 posts
¿ Any Househunters in Murcia w/c 30th November 2015 ? - 0 posts
Case Won - 3 posts
HEALTH INSURANCE - 5 posts
IBI on static caravans - 5 posts
Back dated refuse collection taxes from La Linea - 2 posts
Moving to Denia - 7 posts
Electricty use - 20 posts
Moving House with a lot of pot plants - 0 posts
Cleaning Contract UK - 1 posts
Fibre Optic Suppliers in Spain - 5 posts
Goose - 4 posts
Looking for a perfect school! - 9 posts
International Black and White Association - 4 posts
Prescriptions posted from overseas or made in Seville - 1 posts
occupation licence - 21 posts
looking for work in the murcia area - 6 posts
Paris - 39 posts
looking to buy exercise equiptment - 0 posts
ELS clients files - how can anyone access their files now the firm has closed?? - 0 posts
A question for lawyers with regard to timeframe and processes involved in transference of monies following successful rulings (Ley 57/68) - 0 posts
AIC international lawyers in cabo cervera 03188 torrevieja-alicante - 1 posts
Great British Idioms - Do the Spanish have them - Do they understand or just think we are mad - 16 posts
is it worth me buying a car or just carrying on renting one - 16 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x