Looking for a perfect school!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Nov 2015 11:14 PM by SCAL Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi there, 

I'm a mom of two girls. My oldest is almost 16, highly academic. Wants to go to a University to be a Pediatrician.

My youngest is 13, almost 14. Good student also, but this one wants to be a Chef. We think we need to send my daughters to a International Private school. My first question is, what's the diference between a International Baccalauret and the European? We work from home, so we are fortuned to be able to move anywhere. My sister recomended the Alicante area.We would prefer to be close to the water. I'm open to sugestions, however does anyone have an insiders scoop on the International Private Schools of this area? I do want to provide my children with a nurturing, happy and interactive learning school. I can't find any reviews anywhere.

Very grateful for any help!

embed

Like 0      
17 Nov 2015 10:02 AM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

Are you already living in Spain or just planning to move there? It sounds as though you are an American. Your eldest daughter at 16, is just 2 years short of university. Would she need to change countries again, to go to an English speaking one? It might be better to wait until her schooling is finished and university chosen before the move. Also, as a point of interest, young people in Spain find it very difficult to get work so your younger daughter might struggle to find work as a chef. The International Baccalauret is becoming more common in mainstream schools in the UK but I don't know the difference between that and a European one. Someone on here might be able to help with that and advice on schools in the Alicante area. Good luck with your search.

Like 1      
17 Nov 2015 1:43 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If you're two children can speak fluent Spanish then go for it ,if they don't then think again .

Like 1      
17 Nov 2015 5:35 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

If you are prepared to consider Valencia, I can help with advice on schools, but as far as Alicante is concerned I can't help much there. If you do consider it let me know.

r

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
17 Nov 2015 5:51 PM by SCAL Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

First I would like to thank all of you for your help. No we're not livng in Spain, planning to move there next Summer!

And yes we live in the USA. My oldest have two more years of high school, and the youngest four years to go by next Summer. Because my oldest have just two more years we think the way to go is an International Private British school is the way to go, they speak spanish but not well enough to tackle a full on spanish school with it. To minimize that the International Brithish school! She would go then to a British or American University. We check with UCSD, and they appreciate and accept the IB from the british schools. My youngest the little chef, after trainning can go anywhere to work, not an issue, but a very good point! Thank you! We wore looking at the British International Schools Cambridge House, Lady Elizabeth, King's College in Alicante, and the school in Azura. Does anyone know anything about the schools listed here? Is there any other reasons I do not want to bring my children to Spain?

Optional

Like 0      
17 Nov 2015 6:48 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

Are you referring to Cambridge House in Valencia (Betera) ? 

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
17 Nov 2015 6:57 PM by SCAL Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Yes, Valencia is a possibility, em there for we wore looking at the British Private Schools in this area. I would love to hear from parents with children in does schools to, if possible. Thank you so much for all your help. I want to make this transition as painless to my children as possible.

Very grateful,

Optional

Like 0      
17 Nov 2015 7:00 PM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

Do consider Valencia and take up Ian's offer. It's a wonderful city, combining the old and new plus beach. A great place for children as well. IMO much nicer than Alicante. I only know it as a visitor so can't help with schools I'm afraid.

Like 0      
17 Nov 2015 7:42 PM by SCAL Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Of course, I would love to hear from Ian. We wore looking at towns between Alicante to Valencia. 

I like Xabia, but I'm not certain of the schools.

If we can live outside the town of Valencia, it would be ok. I think.

We like nature and would be comimg from a small community. It seems to me it would be to much of a transition

for my children to live in a "big" city. :-)

I will wait for more information. Thanks!

Optional

Like 0      
18 Nov 2015 6:59 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

Hi there. I know most private schools in the Valencia area. Some very well. My daughter went to Cambridge House and I know the school very well. As far as English schools go, it is the best in the region, in my opinion. Although sporting facilities are scarce, teaching quality and extra curricula activities were excellent. They follow the English system GCSE and A levels, not the IB. If you are interested in good sporting facilities too you would need to look at Caxton College, but I preferred the more 'homely' feel of Cambridge House personally.  

If you want to do the IB there are other schools such as The Amercian School and the The British School both are good schools, smaller but still sound teaching. The best thing I can recommend is visiting the schools and speaking to them all. Unless things have changed in the past couple of years I wouldn't hesitate at checking out Cambridge House, consistently at the top of the results table for British Schools in Spain and it is very family orientated. 

Please don't think that Valencia is a thriving city, even though it is the thrid biggest city it doesn't feel that big at all. I would consider it to be a big town with a village feel. The perfect mix. If you move to seasonal towns like Javea or Denia, Calpe, Altea ...etc   they are effectively holiday resorts with a very small popluation in the winter times so they are very quiet. Valencia offers so much more for children especially if they haven't grown up in the area. There are many lovely little villages on the outskirts of Valencia worth looking at. Cambridge House is in Betera which is just 15 km from Valencia centre.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

r

Ian

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

International Black and White Association - 4 posts
Prescriptions posted from overseas or made in Seville - 1 posts
occupation licence - 21 posts
looking for work in the murcia area - 6 posts
Paris - 39 posts
looking to buy exercise equiptment - 0 posts
ELS clients files - how can anyone access their files now the firm has closed?? - 0 posts
A question for lawyers with regard to timeframe and processes involved in transference of monies following successful rulings (Ley 57/68) - 0 posts
AIC international lawyers in cabo cervera 03188 torrevieja-alicante - 1 posts
Great British Idioms - Do the Spanish have them - Do they understand or just think we are mad - 16 posts
is it worth me buying a car or just carrying on renting one - 16 posts
Car insurance - 15 posts
mar de plata mazarron - 11 posts
Fire Stick - in Spain - 5 posts
Problems with form 210 (wealth tax) for tax due 2015 - 25 posts
How to do business with Spanish business owners/ companies? - 8 posts
50 Year Old House Inspections - 2 posts
Non-EU family members do not need visa to enter UK, says European court - 25 posts
REFERENDUM ON UK MEMBERSHIP OF THE EU - 8 posts
Speed camera at Lorca - 0 posts
Supplying info about crimes, tax evasion etc. - 9 posts
Importing LHD car - 14 posts
No gas mains - 2 posts
Benalmadena - 11 posts
Possible purchase at Hacienda del Alamo (HDA) - Dilemna - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x