Ideas for towns to stay in within 45 mins of Valencia and info on Valencia itself...

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Jul 2015 4:51 PM by emjharts Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

It is our first time flying to Valencia, we usually go to Malaga or Alicante airports and have been up as far as Denia.

This time we are planning on spending the first 4 nights in Valencia city itself as it looks like a lovely city and then we plan on hiring a car and driving somewhere within 45 mins to stay for the other 3 nights. We will probably go on AirBnb and find private apartments to stay in as we prefer that to hotels. So, firstly which parts of the city are good to stay in and safe to stay in with plenty of bars and restaurants? I've heard that the Colon area is the best but am open to more ideas.

Secondly, where is a nice town to stay in with 45 mins of Valencia airport? We prefer more non tourity places with lots of tapas bars and a lively nightlife (bars and restaurants). We have looked into Gandia and even though the beach looks lovely it loks as though there are alot of highrise buildings so not sure we would like that so any other ideas would really be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Like 0      
29 Jul 2015 5:19 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

Hi I have lived in Valencia for 15 years now. The Colon area of Valencia is the main highstreet so not a good place to stay. No nightlife there just shops and touristy restaurants.

Probably the best place to stay would be near the City of Arts and Science, north side of the river is better. This area is walking distance to shops, historical centre, restaurants, nightlife, parks and a short taxi ride to the beach/marina (4 min) or you can hire bicycles. It is also a safe area, not that there are many unsafe areas in Valencia, if any. 

Oliva is a lovely coastal town with beaches around 80 km south of Valencia, of course you also have Cullera which is slightly closer. Oliva adn Cullera are mainly Spanish and there is a great resort in Oliva called Oliva Nova where you rent apartments near the beach with golf as well (I haven't stayed there but have heard good things)...it might be an alternative.

Good luck

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
29 Jul 2015 5:23 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

Also going north - Alcocebre and Peñiscola are lovely coastal town. The one before on the map aren't really worth visiting...

Like 1      
30 Jul 2015 6:06 PM by emjharts Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Thanks Mac75, I am looking into places to stay in that area now. I think we may have decided just to stay in the city for the entire week but to hire a car for the last few days to tour around the coast and inland, however, before we do, is it OK driving around Valencia? My Husband does the driving and has been fine driving round Malaga and Alicante so should he be OK? Also, do you think that most places we would look at staying would have car parking? Is parking a problem on the streets?

Thanks, you have been a great help again.

Like 0      
30 Jul 2015 7:33 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

You're welcome. Valencia isn't complicate for driving, so I wouldn't worry, no worse than any other sity in Spain, maybe better. If you are looking at apartments , most in the area I mentioned will have parking. However in this area parking in the street isn't a problem in the evening, during the day a bit more complicated as it is a very popular area. If you have a GPS driving is very easy. Google maps navigation works great in Valencia as does Tom Tom.

Like 0      
03 Aug 2015 10:21 AM by MarkLovehart Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hey all,

This might interest everyone here, just stumbled across this article the other day which gives some tips on local Valencian restaurants -

Favorite restaurants in Valencia --- on the Typical non Spanish blog

Hope this is of some help,

Mark :)

Like 0      
03 Aug 2015 11:04 AM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

Valencia is a beautiful city and I'm sure you'll love it there. For getting around the city I's say a car isn't necessary as the city is compact and very walkable. It also has a very good metro if you need to go that little bit further. It's also too easy to get lost driving around the city if you're not familiar with it.

In terms of places to go within 45 mins, as suggested above, Cullera is well worth a visit and if you go there on the CV-500 you'll pass the Albufera nature reserve and a town there called El Palmar which is where Paella originates and there are a few good restaurants there. Just north of Valencia, and very close too is Port Saplaya which is worth a walk round and it's only about 10 mins from the centre of the city. If you want to go inland, Xativa castle is very nice, one of the better preserved castles in the area.

Like 0      
03 Aug 2015 2:28 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

There's some good advice here.

Cullera is a good call, but it depends when you go - this time of year it'll be heaving and it's quite small.

But Valencia is a marvellous city, the bus tour is recommended, but there's so much to do staying there for the 7 days makes sense.  As Mac75 the major weakness with Valencia is the rotten road network and parking.  So you need a place to stay in the centre.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hi Everyone - Looking To Retire - 40 posts
Is there anyone really willing to relocate to Spain soon? - 1 posts
Valencia SIP Cards - 2 posts
Looking for a lawyer near Alora - 0 posts
Proof of entitlement - 17 posts
use of membership number for discount on ferry travel - 1 posts
Car hire - 4 posts
Techie question - Fibre/Cat5/TV - 2 posts
Folding bike for sale. - 0 posts
Post Replies not reflecting despite having received a reply on Email from Forum User - 2 posts
3 months rental - 15 posts
miss sold insurance - 30 posts
Any Info on living in the Canals area - 2 posts
Lawyers in Alzira - 0 posts
Equity Release - 12 posts
Alicante Airport - 0 posts
CGT - 13 posts
Plumber/electriction for holiday let - 0 posts
marbella plumbers - 0 posts
Website set up for off plan deposits? - 5 posts
NIE in Torrevieja - 30 posts
car purchase and resident - 14 posts
buying off-plan comes more risky. Law 20/2015 abolishes Law 57/1968 and modifies Law 38/999 - 71 posts
What's the cost of Aircon installation in Spain? - 6 posts
Legal tip 1313.PROMOCIONES INROAL S.L. - BANK ACTION WON IN PROVINCIAL APPEAL COURT AGAINST BANCO MARE NOSTRUM (CAJA GRANADA) FOR A BUYER AT ANDARAX IN TERQUE, ALMERÍA - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x