Air lock in hot water pipe

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Jul 2015 10:56 AM by paddyw Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

I have a number of problems with my hot water heater and it has had to be drained three times in the last few days.  Now I find I have no hot water in the bathroom sink tap.  Everywhere else is working properly and therefore I have eliminated the heater as the problem.  The problem tap is the furthest away from the heater and the flow has never been as good as the other taps in the house.  The tap is the small basin mixer type.  If I had two taps I would connect a piece of hose between the two and let the cold water pressure clear the air lock in the hot pipe. I was wondering about applying the same principle to the two pipes supplying the mixed.  Connecting them and forcing cold water downing the hot pipe.

i would be grateful for any other suggestions.

Thank you

PaddyW

Like 0      
31 Jul 2015 11:09 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

paddyw

no reason why this should not work as long as the "good pipe / tap" is direct from the mains

alternatively switch off water at the stops cock mains and drain water by opening all taps. once drained swithch of all tasp then open stop cock and then switch on taps a little bit at first teh slowly incease flow

failing this call a plumber

good luck

Like 0      
31 Jul 2015 12:41 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Are your hot water taps fed by a header tank in the attic or via a hot water boiler that is fed from the mains CWS.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2015 1:51 PM by Polly1960 Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

Test - eos tech dept . please ignore

Like 0      
31 Jul 2015 2:14 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Paddy. The chance of the problem being caused by an air lock is practically nil as the system is pressurised.

From the description it sounds like the quantity of water (pressure) flowing from the tap is insufficient to maintain sufficient gas supply to produce hot water.

Check to see if you have a stopcock on the supply to the tap,  if you have, check that it is fully turned on.

Most taps in Spain have a metal filter,  which is screwed onto the tap where the water comes out. That often becomes blocked with calcium particles (like the fur in a kettle).  A build up will reduce the water flow.  If you have a filter,  remove it and clean, or you can buy, very cheaply, a replacement from a ferretería  (hardware shop).

That you drained the heater also might mean some deposits in it were washed into the hot water supply pipes.  Which would also add to blocking the filter.

If you have never cleaned the filters on the other taps I would do that too to avoid future problems

I just found this web page. It explains better what I have said:-

http://commonsensehome.com/how-to-remove-hard-water-buildup-from-faucets-and-showerheads/

This message was last edited by johnzx on 01/08/2015.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 01/08/2015.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Loan for a new property - 9 posts
urbanización Camposol de Mazarrón - 51 posts
Ideas for towns to stay in within 45 mins of Valencia and info on Valencia itself... - 7 posts
Hi Everyone - Looking To Retire - 40 posts
Is there anyone really willing to relocate to Spain soon? - 1 posts
Valencia SIP Cards - 2 posts
Looking for a lawyer near Alora - 0 posts
Proof of entitlement - 17 posts
use of membership number for discount on ferry travel - 1 posts
Car hire - 4 posts
Techie question - Fibre/Cat5/TV - 2 posts
Folding bike for sale. - 0 posts
Post Replies not reflecting despite having received a reply on Email from Forum User - 2 posts
3 months rental - 15 posts
miss sold insurance - 30 posts
Any Info on living in the Canals area - 2 posts
Lawyers in Alzira - 0 posts
Equity Release - 12 posts
Alicante Airport - 0 posts
CGT - 13 posts
Plumber/electriction for holiday let - 0 posts
marbella plumbers - 0 posts
Website set up for off plan deposits? - 5 posts
NIE in Torrevieja - 30 posts
car purchase and resident - 14 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x