UK Driving License - Discontinuance of the Counterpart

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jun 2015 9:38 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Yes, Robertt, couldn't agree more. 

The media do stir things up, in this case about something that probably wont happen because it hasn't even happened in the past with a car rental company checking driving licences, I know, and no doubt so do you  know plenty who have rented cars and have never shown this paper part of the licence, most people I know haven't even never carried it with them, and also didn't know that section had a time limit of ten years on it.

How many people rented cars having no problems.... With an expired paper section?

Basically until it's been proved that you cant rent a car without this number by at least more then a good few, at the moment it's absolutely rubbish. 

Like 0      
04 Jun 2015 4:10 PM by robertt8696 Star rating in Midlands, UK. 479 posts Send private message

Marie, you do not need to take your National Insurance document with you, all you need to do is quote your NI number and your licence number to the DVLA to enable you to get the access code enabling the licence details to be disclosed, which is valid for 72 hours, so no need to carry this information with you when going on holiday. Personally my NI number is committed to memory anyway!

Like 0      
04 Jun 2015 8:43 PM by MikeandHelen Star rating. 193 posts Send private message

Marie,

National Insurance cards are no longer issued anyway, but the DVLA now have access to your DWP records, ID Cards without the ID card. This also carries accross to the Voter's register.

Mike. 

Like 0      
05 Jun 2015 12:44 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

but the DVLA now have access to your DWP records, ID Cards without the ID card. This also carries accross to the Voter's register.

Can you substantiate that Mike with some official links? 

As long as you have a pulse and a credit card most Spanish car hire companies wont give a jot

Like 1      
05 Jun 2015 9:26 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Mariedav     "............how many people carry something with their NI number on it when going on holiday? "

For some time now, I have had a list of numbers, and general info which I might need when away from home, in an email, sent to myself, which I have then not delete.   Anytime I need something from that list, providing I can get access to my Hotmail account, I can get the info

Importantly I have there the EMEI  codes (unique serial numbers for mine and my wife’s mobiles).  If the phone is lost or stolen, with that number, the police can block that phone ever being used again.  

QUOTE:_  

There are several ways to find the 15-digit IMEI code (International Mobile Equipment Identity):

• Type in the short code *#06# on your mobile and press the call key.
  • Remove the battery from your mobile and look for the code on the back of your device.
  • Consult the purchase receipt or warranty of your mobile.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2015 9:51 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

As long as you have a pulse and a credit card most Spanish car hire companies wont give a jot

Now thats a breath of fresh air, and the truth, nothing but the truth...Me lud.

Spain would sooner knock your house down, take so much more tax of you, shut your service's down, without a second glance with no correct paperwork in place, then refuse you a car rental over a piece of paper they never knew you had in the first place.

** EDITED - Inciting **

Eveing all...Hello hello what have we here then? another inciting post deleated for telling the truth...Wonder who the tea leaf is then? never mind, on your way now...Goodnight all.

This message was last edited by baz1946 on 05/06/2015.
This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 6/5/2015 5:50:00 PM.

Like 2      
06 Jun 2015 12:23 AM by MikeandHelen Star rating. 193 posts Send private message

TeamGB

Have a look at https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence 

You are asked for your Driving License number and NI number to 'prove' your identity. 

Also the UK Govt Identity Assurance program https://identityassurance.blog.gov.uk/

Mike. 

Like 0      
06 Jun 2015 1:40 AM by robertt8696 Star rating in Midlands, UK. 479 posts Send private message

Mike, the only reason the DVLA want proof of your identity is to give you the code which allows your details, electronically stored, to be accessed by anyone permitted by yourself. The reason they want your NI number is so that it is a certain form of identification in addition to your driving licence number. Two forms of identification are far more secure than one, and they are doing this to allow permitted access to people YOU specify, while at the same time affording a fair amount of security regarding your driving licence details held on file. There is nothing suspicious about this, it is for your benefit. The resulting code that is then issued is only valid for 72 hours before its authority terminates, another feature of the security afforded your personal details. Also, that code will then only be issued by you, so is pretty secure in its method. Hope that clears things up somewhat. 

Like 1      
06 Jun 2015 9:53 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

MikeandHelen

Thanks for your links, interesting.

I was more inetrested to find out how the electoral role was linked into this but can't find any info on it.

Like 0      
08 Jun 2015 9:33 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

And, with this being the first day, loads of people are reporting getting ERROR 500 Internal Server Error or
 Error 405 Method Not Allowed when trying to access the details on the official site.

Overloading? Good old British government IT systems.

Like 0      
08 Jun 2015 11:16 PM by MikeandHelen Star rating. 193 posts Send private message

Team GB, Thanks, glad you found the comments interesting.

Have a look at the Guardian article about the electoral roll http://www.theguardian.com/public-leaders-network/2015/feb/05/missing-voters-individual-electoral-registration-disaster 

Whilst the Conservative government made great play of cancelling the ID cards system, they went ahead with bringing together government databases. Only recently has the DVLA had access to the DWP records, enabling them to match the two and ask for your NINO to check your identity. Simularily, Passport Data is matched to DVLA records, you can use your Passport Photo when renewing a photocard driving license.

My favourite quote from the DVLA was from an unnamed official who said about the computerisation of the system back in the early seventies 'We didn't have a feasabilty study because we were going to do it anyway'. Doing away with the Tax Disc has been poorly implemented, as has the withdrawal of the counterpart.  

Only a few countries in Europe has a 'points' penalty system, most countries fine or ban drivers therefore points are not really relevant (to the insurance) when a car is hired. The validity of an access code for 72 hours could be a pain if you are doing a multti centre holiday and hiring cars in different locations.

A basic problem with the plastic card driving license along with paper based systems is validity. Just because they are in possesion of a person does not mean they are valid, that person culd have points or be banned and not handed their licens in, it could be fake or be a Fraudulently Obtained Genuine (FOG) document....

No system is perfect. Rather hilariously I was stopped at 11.15 last Monday morning because my (Old) Range Rover was shown on the Police computer as off the road - I'd taxed it at 10.10.  

Mike.       

Like 0      
09 Jun 2015 12:56 PM by robertt8696 Star rating in Midlands, UK. 479 posts Send private message

Mike and Helen, I agree that almost anything that starts as a new system seems ill thought out, but as time passes and it settles down, such things are usually fit for purpose. As to you being stopped in your vehicle when having taxed it an hour previously, the data held on system most likely had not updated itself, but think on the good side, you were stopped for no tax. Why is that good you ask? well if you had not taxed the vehicle and someone had stolen it from your property without your authorisation, if it had been taxed the Police would never have stopped it, so it potentially did you a favour! If it actually had been stolen they may have got clean away with it without automatic roadside checking.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

a good car insurer - 2 posts
Holiday rental, is it worth it. - 4 posts
Hello, is there anybody there..... - 7 posts
Rent a Car Lisbon - 0 posts
Wanted drummer - 0 posts
Iberian Lynx - 0 posts
Where do I buy white goods (Washing Machine) In Murcia Region? - 15 posts
brittany ferries guest codes - 1 posts
Lawyers fees for selling ... - 26 posts
moving in - 3 posts
Spanish lifestyle magazines? - 0 posts
School in Duquesa...? - 0 posts
School in Duquesa...? - 0 posts
Hi everyone... - 0 posts
Hi all - 0 posts
Dame noches in pots part shade - 4 posts
Ello - 0 posts
Bankruptcy - 2 posts
Art supply shops in Almeria province - 1 posts
Butano/Propano gas installation inspections - 4 posts
Modelo 720 - 8 posts
tolls from murcia airport - 5 posts
Looking for furniture - Costa Del Sol - 1 posts
Is this a good deal - 20 years fixed @ 2.6% - 5 posts
Scottish couple and dog travelling from santander to sax looking for b and b - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 32

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x