Exchange rate

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Mar 2015 8:33 PM by cbrammeld Star rating. 172 posts Send private message

Has the euro started to go in to freefall now.

On Saturday I was getting €1.354 to the £ but today its €1.3766 and mastercard exchange rate is €1.39445

The £ isnt getting stronger just the € is getting weaker. Great news for holiday makers this summer

Like 0      
09 Mar 2015 8:56 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Bad news if you're sellling a house and moving back to the UK- you might be able to afford a shed!

Bad news if you're working out your assets declaration- if you didn't have to submit before, you might find your assets are over 50 k because of the exchange rate

If you submitted before, you might have to do it again, as your assets might have gone up by 20 k

Bad news if an IHT bill has to be paid on assets in the UK - you'll pay much more, and even exceed the alliance threshold

Like 1      
09 Mar 2015 9:56 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

cbram

The ECB started their so-called quantative easing which means putting more euros on the market hence the drop in the €.

camposol, always looking on the bright side of life as usual.

Good news if you get your pension or income from UK in pounds. Good news if you're thinking of buying in Spain. Good news if you're planning on staying in Spain especially with inflation running at minus figures for the last 2 months. Yes, the asset declaration had to be completed because my bonds are now over the 50K threshold. Good news is that I'm nearly 3,000 euro better off (same in pounds, though). Still have to pay tax on the interest here but as interest rates in UK have nosedived I'm paying a lot less (not good nor bad as I'm paying less tax but getting less interest).

Since the exchange rate used in December 2013 compared with December 2014 was an increase of 8 cents, you'd have to have a lot of money for your assets to rise 20,000 euro simply on the back of the exchange rate. If you've got that amount of money you probably wouldn't bother too much about the declaration.

IHT from UK? MIght as well talk about the 20% tax on lottery winnings.

Like 3      
09 Mar 2015 10:53 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Many people have assets , bank accounts, houses etc in UK, and with this exchange rate it means they will be of higher value when calculating the worldwide IHT if the deceased and survivor were resident in Spain.

Like 1      
10 Mar 2015 12:54 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I suppose every piece of silver has a cloudy lining. Or something like that.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2015 9:59 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

More income tax to pay if your income is in Sterling.sad

Like 0      
10 Mar 2015 12:26 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

The pound has just gone above the €1.40 mark for the first time since November 2007.How high will it go?

Like 0      
10 Mar 2015 2:07 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

As far as I'm concerned, it can't go low enough.

When I go back to the UK I want to be able to afford more than a shed!

Like 1      
10 Mar 2015 2:17 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

1.40 thats great news im off to Holland next week might be able to buy the wife some tulips, or maybe not.

Like 2      
24 Mar 2015 9:53 AM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Why does the BOE assassinate the GBP when it finds a new ceiling? We hit €1.42 =£1.00 last week which caused a UK panic with high export prices – so BOE chief Mark Carney mutters about “persistent external deflationary forces arising from the combination of continued foreign low inflation and the protracted effects of sterling's strength" and his side-kick Andrew Haldane really put the boot into sterling when he said the possibility of an interest rate cut is not out of the question. The euro now sits at 1.36 = £1.00 and GBP will continue to fall against a very sick € with the general election looming. God forbid Milliband ‘wins’ and forms an alliance with SNP!

These prophets of doom can’t keep this up forever and if they keep shaking the Champagne bottle the cork will fly out. The exchange should be at €1.45 = £1.00 so it has to break free in the next few weeks……….. even as high as €1.50 when the BOE is forced to take the pressure off and raise interest rates.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Do you live here - 12 posts
Changes to IHT in Murcia? - 4 posts
jr - 0 posts
Cheltenham in spain - 0 posts
Assets worth more than you think! - 0 posts
Changing Community Statutes - 0 posts
Insuring a Spanish car not in my name please help - 23 posts
how to avoid spanish inheritance tax - 12 posts
thats is so - 0 posts
Car boot sale near Almoradi - 0 posts
CLOSING A SPANISH BANK ACCOUNT - 11 posts
It's that 720 time again! - 9 posts
finca and inland Alicante life - 0 posts
Helo Android TV good by Satellite TV - 20 posts
Where can I watch Six Nations Rugby on Saturday 21st mijas , fuengirola, el faro area pls - 14 posts
Mazarron Area - 2 posts
Driving over to Spain and leaving the car on private land - 4 posts
3 Million Year Old Jawbone Found In Ethiopia - 0 posts
Road tax - 2 posts
Bitdefender Total Security 2015 - 0 posts
Things That I Like And Dislike About Spain - 53 posts
Power shift with Iberdrola - 7 posts
calculation of capital gains tax - 2 posts
Sold up and still waiting for 3% Retention Tax - 5 posts
40,000 signatures collected for Palomares nuclear fall-out clean-up - 77 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x