Credit cards and car hire

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Jan 2015 4:34 PM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Hi,

I am trying to book car hire in Greece in June but finding it very difficult without a credit card.

As I have only a small wage paid into my bank - Santander each month, i doubt if they will give me a credit card but can´t seem to book a car without one.

Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks,

Amatista

Like 0      
20 Jan 2015 8:10 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

You have to have a credit card = there are no exceptions as far as I know. How would the hire company get re-imbursed if you wrote the car off?

Like 0      
21 Jan 2015 8:13 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

They wouldn't need to be reimbursed as I would take full comprehensive insurance but thanks anyway. There are companies who would take a debit card only but they charge more. Thanks anyway. Jane

Like 0      
21 Jan 2015 9:40 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Are you in Spain? The reason I ask is because in the UK you would probably get a Virgin Credit Card, they are, to say the least, a bit short on doing any type of extensive credit checks before they hand them out,   (Know what I mean)  but don't know if Virgin do them for address's in Spain.

I shouldn't worry to much if you don't get the information exactly to 100% how they want it, just ask Branson, he's a master at what to say, and not what to say, when needs must.

Like 0      
21 Jan 2015 10:08 AM by gps-javea Star rating in Javea. 1 posts Send private message

gps-javea´s avatar

Hi,

If you have a bank account with almost any bank unless you have a bad credit history the chances are they will issue you with a credit card. (even with a small limit on it)

Regarding the "written off car" this would be covered by insurance as if you had a credit card with a small limit it wouldn't be enough to cover the damage anyhow.

Like 0      
21 Jan 2015 10:41 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Thanks for that - i have applied to bank.

Jane

Like 0      
21 Jan 2015 5:28 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

amatista   21 Jan 2015 08:13    They wouldn't need to be reimbursed as I would take full comprehensive insurance but thanks anyway. There are companies who would take a debit card only but they charge more. Thanks anyway. Jane

Don't take it for granted that any insurance on a hire car will cover you for anything which might happen.

Ask and ask again.

I took a car bock to a hire company at Heathrow  one time.   The guy in front of me had just collected a smashed windscreen a few yards before pulling into the garage.  He, like like me, had CDW, full cover etc.  The damage still cost him £300.

Like 0      
21 Jan 2015 6:41 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

The cerdit card is need (in the main) is to ensure you pay any excess or any uninsured elements.

Like 0      
21 Jan 2015 7:56 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

We hired a car in Crete some years ago. Like idiots, our credit card had expired without us noticing. We were able to use a debit card (Maestro at the time) but had to take the full insurance and leave a €450 deposit to cover the excess. The €450 was returned when we took the car back.

I always check the expiry date on the credit card before we go anywhere now.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

offer less rent than advertised? what's protocol? - 7 posts
On and off internet connection - 5 posts
Replacement house alarm battery - 4 posts
Ballot for president - 4 posts
3 network feel at home coming to Spain in April. - 1 posts
Leaving Spain, tax deregistration form 030. - 1 posts
Visiting Alicante area to view property - 27 posts
Need help on setting up a hand car valeting business in spain - 24 posts
Best house and contents insurance for holiday home - 29 posts
Dishwasher - 4 posts
Second Hand Furniture Required - 1 posts
Law firm wins a case - 7 posts
Anyone for Tennis - 0 posts
good restaurant - 0 posts
Photo Url problem - 2 posts
Easter parades - 0 posts
DESPERATE APPEAL FOR A FOSTER PLACE OR FOREVER HOME .... - 0 posts
Tv programmes re buying in Spain - 23 posts
Advice on water bill - 6 posts
Question on succession law in Spain - 15 posts
Fran - 3 posts
NEW! Null mortgages by the Supreme Court - 0 posts
virtual cadastral map Spain - 1 posts
€900 to put electric in my name? - 3 posts
Help and Advice on rentals in Mojon Hills - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x