Question on succession law in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Jan 2015 6:19 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Iif someone dies in Spain, bearing in mind that 2/3 of the assets go to the children, what happens when there are no children to leave them to?

Do the assets automatically then go to the spouse or whoever is named in the will?"

Like 1      
13 Jan 2015 7:15 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Well I have been told that as Roy has made the apartment over to me if anything  happens to

him, so I assume it goes to me. But I am worried now how much I have to pay to take his name

of the deeds.

This message was last edited by pat and roy on 13/01/2015.

Like 0      
13 Jan 2015 7:25 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

But do you have the specific clause in your will that you wish your assets to be dealt with as per law of your nationality?

Have you read about changes to the succession law in Spain , starting mid August?

If not,  it will go to other members of your family if that clause is not present, even if  the will States he is leaving it to you.

Apart from changing the name on the deeds,

What about inheritance tax? Fine if you live in an area with generous allowances, not so if it's somewhere like Murcia where allowances have been abolished

Like 0      
13 Jan 2015 7:33 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

We live in Formentera so not sure about that. Will have to dig the will out and have a look. But I doubt

if it does have that clause in it. So they can overide me and give it to the children is that what you are saying?

Like 0      
13 Jan 2015 7:44 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Yes-spanish succession law does not allow you to choose who you leave it to,  2/3 has to go to children, I think the remaining 1/3 can be left to someone of choice.

UK law does allow you to leave it to whom you like, that's why you have to have this specific clause in your Spanish will that you wish for the law of your nationality to apply to your Spanish wil.

UK and Denmark have not signed up to this new law yet,  like other European countries have done, vfbut if they do then the same  clause will have to be in the UK will as well.

It is best to have a UK will for assets in UK, and a Spanish will for assets in Spain

Like 0      
13 Jan 2015 9:02 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

juansheetisplenty´s avatar

Camposol, I have read differing opinions on whether UK's decison not to join actually helps or hinders the situation with a process called "Renvoi". I don't know the detail, but it seems it is not as clear as it used to be with UK residents holding Spanish assets, and whether seperate wills are now required. I am not qualified to opine on this. Certainly UK ctiizens now resident in SPain can cover matters by stipulating jurisdiction in a SPanish will.

Saludos

This message was last edited by juansheetisplenty on 13/01/2015.

Like 0      
13 Jan 2015 10:53 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

In reply to the original question, when we first made our wills it was explained that 2/3 of the deceased share would go to the children (both natural and adopted) but the right to remain in the property remains with the surviving spouse. In other words, even though the kids will own 2/3 of half the property, they have no rights to it until the surviving spouse dies.

In the case of there being no children, the surviving spouse inherits the deceased's half. We were also told that it was important to note that property and goods were treated as two separate items.

It was also pointed out that, as foreign residents, so not Spanish citizens, we could leave the property to our spouse without involving the children. That was back in 2008 so long before the new rules came in.

Late last year we were asked by the solicitors to include a clause stating that inheritance would be as per the laws of where we were citizens, in this case UK. It was not simply a case of simply adding that clause into the will but making completely new ones which we though was a bit of a waste of money.

We were also told that, because UK had not signed up to this agreement, it would be better to have one will for Spanish assets and one for UK assets as the UK says the law of the country of residence applies. It was also important that these wills did not contradict each other.

So, we had a Spanish will leaving half the property to the survivor and then to the children on that death. We had to change that to exactly the same thing but with the clause that both property and assets would be subject to the law of UK. They did give us a discount for the second wills but still thought it a bit of a waste of meney.

We also have wills in UK doing exactly the same thing, dividing UK assets to the surviving spouse and then split equally among the kids on that death and, importantly, naming the surviving spouse as beneficiary for any pension rights.

Phew, what a rigmarole.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2015 2:21 AM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

So will I still have to pay inheritance tax, I am not looking at selling

at the moment. But would like this clarified, cannot seem to get in touch

with the solicitor we used.   But should I take Roys name of the deeds.

Plus utilities?

Like 0      
14 Jan 2015 10:24 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

If only Roy's name on the deeds then you need advice from a lawyer to change to yours. If in both names it can probably stay as is.  

As I understand it original wills stand until August 2015 thereafter the wording has to change and to do this, if no other changes are to be made, it is more economical to go independently to notary who will give you a new copy of your will with the addition.  Cost c €50, 

The Spanish IT way is good in that it reduces any possible payment by inheritors, providing there is more than 1, because after demise of first parent the share involves little or no payment and value of estate is then greatly reduced in event of demise of 2nd parent. Well, that's how I read the situation.

As regards  to any inheritance tax you may have to pay Pat it will depend on the rules of where you live plus many other factors  involved...... It is a minefield that even the experts have different opinions on. However hopefully the lawyer you use will make the process as stress free as possible for you.

Like 1      
14 Jan 2015 5:29 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

How have you worked it out that Spanish IT is a good thing?

It's an horrendous thing -pouses should be exempt from IHT anyway- how can it be fair to pay tax on the assets of the Deceased, having built them up together over many years with money that has already been taxed?

How can it be fair that if you live in Andalucia, you will probably pay no IHT, as they have a generous allowance, but if you live in Murcia you will probably pay thousands because it abolished all its regional alliances in 2013?

The Spanish IHT is the most  unjust, harsh, penalising taxI have ever come across.

You can't sell the property to pay the tax, and if you don't pay within 6 months, interest will be added.

How's that for heaping misery on the bereaved?

Pat and Roy- it's impossible to say if you will have to pay tax, as it depends on:

The regiona you live in, and the value of the assets.obviously if you live in Murcia region you will be paying it, Valencia region, probably not .

The state gives an abysmal allowance of just under 16 k euros per person., which won't make a dent in the average inheritance

Before the EU ruling which states that non residents must be treated in the same way as residents regarding IHT, a resident had to have lived in the region for 5 years before being able to take advantage of the regional allowances.

As non residents obviously will not be able to fulfil this requirement, I wonder if 

a) this requirement will be scrapped

B) non residents will have to have owned the property for 5 years, and residents have lived there for 5 years

Perhaps Maria de Castro will know?

Like 1      
14 Jan 2015 5:55 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Legal tip 841. European inheritances 
18 October 2012 @ 14:22 

Here a great link with answers and questions on European Inheritance:

http://www.notaries-of-europe.eu/files/press-releases/Successions-Q&A-07-06-12-en.pdf

1. Will the new Community rules facilitate pan-European inheritance? What are the most important 
innovations? 

The new rules introduce a number of changes which represent some significant steps forward as far as European 
citizens’ rights are concerned:

- Harmonisation of the rules governing conflicting laws which define the law applicable to inheritance at European 
level. Henceforth it will be principally the law governing the final residence of the deceased which will be applicable. 
This harmonisation will facilitate the planning of inheritance for EU citizens or for those from third countries.

- Possibility for the deceased to choose a legal system other than that of his/her habitual residence to settle his/her 
legacy. While still living, he/she may choose the law of his/her nationality via the will, or, if appropriate, via a 
succession agreement.

- The single nature of the law applicable to the inheritance. The applicable legal system will govern the entirety of the 
inheritance. Thus no distinction will be made between real estate and movable goods, as used to be the case in 
certain States such as France.

- Creation of a European Succession Certificate which will streamline the settlement of cross-border inheritance, 
particularly on matters of proof effects and legitimisation. For example, it will constitute the proof of the status of heir 
in all Member States.

- In the absence of the requirement of legalisation or a similar requirement, acceptance and  circulation  of 
authenticated deeds within the European Union are facilitated by the rules.

2. As a European citizen resident in an EU country other than that of my nationality, I should like at this 
time to draw up a will and select the law which applies to my legacy. Is this possible? 

The rules will become applicable  in the summer of 2015. However, thanks to the temporary provisions of the rules, 
European citizens will be able to select the legal system applicable to their success as soon as it comes into force 
(summer of 2012).

In order to ensure that their choice is clear, they may, if appropriate, call on the services of a Notary. As a general rule,
the www.successions-europe.eu website provides an overview of the right of inheritance in the Member States in 23 
languages. This is an ideal tool for identifying basics answers to questions before calling in the Notary.

3. May I select the inheritance law of one specific State even if I do not reside there?

Yes, but this choice is exclusively limited by the rules deriving from the laws of the nationality of the deceased.

4. What happens where there are no immediate heirs? Is an international search for heirs undertaken?
The rules propose no solution to the matter of a search for heirs. The law of the court seised continues to govern the 
matter of discovering whether, and where appropriate, in what way the relevant authority should proceed to search for 
heirs.

5. Which laws are applicable outside of Europe?

Outside of Europe, the question of the law applicable to inheritance continues to be settled differently. In some countries 
priority is given to the law of nationality, while in others, to the law of last residence. Others still make a distinction 
between real estate (the law of the location of the real estate) and movable goods (the law of the habitual residence). In 
the absence of legislative authority, European regulations are, of course, in no position to settle these differences in 
other countries.

Within the European Union, however, these new  rules on conflict of laws are universally applicable, including for 
residents of non-EU Member States. Hence the legacy of a Chinese living in Poland will henceforth be governed by 
Polish law, notwithstanding the right of the deceased when living to select Chinese law. It should be noted that Denmark, 
the UK and Ireland have not adopted the rules.

6. On tax questions, do the new rules change anything?

The rules do not apply to fiscal matters and have no effect on death duties to be paid by heirs.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
14 Jan 2015 6:03 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Well thank you all for your help.

But will not be able to get over for another 6 months anyway. So Roy's name

can stay there. Nothing is straightfordward in Spain as I have learnt over the years.

Thank you all!

Like 0      
14 Jan 2015 6:04 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

And for those interested, a quick explanation on Spain Inheritance Law:

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
14 Jan 2015 6:07 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

juansheetisplenty´s avatar

A question for Maria.

If a UK resident owns Spanish property, and has a UK will, is there any impact of the change. For example does the UK will now have to state that the UK law governs all assets including UK and Spain, or does it follow that because the UK resident has made the will in the UK, that this is assumed? IN other words is a separate Spanish will no longer necessary?

Appreciate your input.

This message was last edited by juansheetisplenty on 14/01/2015.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2015 6:30 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

As a UK resident owning property in Spain you need no new will to have the transmission-by-death of your Spain assets made in accordance to the will in the Uk.

It was never necessary, although many people made and makes specific Spanish wills to avoid burocratic complications to their heirs.Those " instrumental wills" for naming them in a way you will better undestand, had always to be in full accordance to the National Inheritance Law. They still have to if you grant them. They were... just an instrument to the real UK ones.

It will not be necessary after August 2015 as UK is not under these regulations. So your old UK will, will still be fully valid .

Even if the UK were under this new regulation, as you want your residency- same as nationality Inheritance Law to be applied, you would not have to make a new will.

This new Law is of special importance to foreign people, residents in Spain who dies after August 2015. If not granted/stated otherwise, all their inheritance affairs after death will be submitted to Courts and Legislation of Spain( with some special features and exceptions) 

If you want to avoid this, you can --- from now, you do not need to wait till August--- make a will in Spain by which you  choose your nationality Law to regulate the whole inheritance.

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 14/01/2015.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
18 Jan 2015 12:04 AM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Thank you Floella yes both our names are on the deeds. So I will leave it as it is for now.

This message was last edited by pat and roy on 18/01/2015.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Fran - 3 posts
NEW! Null mortgages by the Supreme Court - 0 posts
virtual cadastral map Spain - 1 posts
€900 to put electric in my name? - 3 posts
Help and Advice on rentals in Mojon Hills - 9 posts
Reregistering a car over 25 years old. - 1 posts
driving from uk to the costa blanca - 3 posts
Dog friendly hotel near Spanish border - 0 posts
Dogs vs caterpillars, sandflies and other maladies - 3 posts
Long Term Rental Sought - 10 posts
Apartment wanted for July, August, September rental for two careful tenants. Anywhere Costa del sol. - 0 posts
Looking for Rented Property - 0 posts
New to EyeonSpain - 5 posts
Cerrado de Calderon area? primary school? good area? - 0 posts
When buying.. choosing a solicitor.. needs to be local ? / Javea - 0 posts
Room to let wanted from 3rd MARCH 2015...Malaga as far as marbella - 1 posts
Los alcazares or algorfa - 0 posts
Wintering in Spain.....we're booked! - 8 posts
Man and/or Van Needed - 2 posts
Astra - 2 posts
A question for law firms relating to major delays and speedy accountability of Banks - 0 posts
SPECIAL APPEAL – FIFI NEEDS YOUR HELP! - 0 posts
taxes - 0 posts
Piano Lessons Orihuela Costa. - 0 posts
Painter&Decorator - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x