Spain Sucks

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Sep 2013 7:02 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

To qualify for his non EU wife’s residency a retired Briton on a state pension now has to show evidence of a continuous €4,000 balance in a Spanish bank. He also has to prove a guaranteed income of €1,000 each month. Excuse me! She has her own homes and total healthcare cover so why five grand in the bank?

Ostensibly it is to ensure his wife is not a drain on the state. Pretty rich coming from a rigid and heartless qualifying system. Its functionaries will leave you lying under a truck if they cannot find a SIP card in your rifled pockets.

The truth is they want only big spenders who will compensate for Spain’s begging bowl economy and failings in fiscal management. It looks likely that the couple will relocate to the UK; there to more easily obtain a UK passport.

One can only generalise but after years of living and working in Spain I think the Spanish take non-Spanish investment for granted. Civil servants treat foreigners (and Spaniards) with contempt. A business staffed by local government functionaries would be bankrupted in 24 hours.

Contemptuous of European law and opinion they are notorious for corruption, especially in property development. My region and perhaps yours too is reasonably prosperous. If it were not for Spain’s EU membership and their sucking the tits of Northern Europeans it would perhaps revert to a donkey economy of fishing villages and citrus fruit groves.

There can hardly be a Spaniard who doesn’t benefit from the incomes of northern Europeans. I am offended when they constantly bite the hand that feeds it. Without such investment millions more would be unemployed; if it goes into reverse they will be.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 4      
27 Sep 2013 9:29 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Ouch! Feeling a little bitter today, Mike?

By the way, brilliant piece, and couldn't agree more - hope this gets published everywhere! yes

This message was last edited by Roberto on 27/09/2013.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 2      
27 Sep 2013 12:21 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

There you go..... and yes, it is shameless wealth-apartheid. I do not think Spain, with its record of corruption and its dismissive attitude towards EU laws (except when shaking the begging bowl) should be in the EU.  Probably was better under the Moors.

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/spain-news/opinion/The_Mexico_of_Europe.shtml

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

Like 4      
27 Sep 2013 2:03 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I found Spain very welcoming when I brought my Filipino wife to Spain 6 years ago.  It cost me 30 euros for the visa and then a small amount on paperwork fees when she was here.

Spain, unlike UK, has signed an EU Directive that families should not be separated.   When I asked at the embassy in Manila if my wife would be allowed to live with me in Spain if we got married, they said, “Where else would she live except with you ? “  The British embassy were unpleasant and unhelpful at every turn, so much so, that I made a formal complaint against the Consul.

Amongst our Filipino friends and their EU spouses I don’t know anyone who thinks they have been unfairly treated in Spain.  Of course the law may have changed, making it more difficult, as it has for EU citizens,  but compared it with the UK requirements and you will find Spain so much better.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 27/09/2013.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 27/09/2013.

Like 2      
27 Sep 2013 2:32 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

The term you use 'bite the hand that feeds it' does perfectly sum up Spain and the Spanish people. It's a term that comes to my mind on a regular basis but I'm not sure many Spanish people even realise how much they rely on the money of others to keep themselves and their economy afloat (sort of afloat).

Like 4      
27 Sep 2013 5:33 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Can't speak for Spain but a friend has been trying to get the paperwork to get his Japanese fiancee into the UK and is meeting a lot of obstacles.  It is also very expensive.   He is self employed so finding it hard to prove he has the minimum income required to get her visa.   He is very young and does not make a lot, but I think the minimum you have to demonstrate is around £19000 a year?

Like 2      
27 Sep 2013 6:23 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

This clip says it all; I never tire of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0xY5nzHvKE

Like 2      
27 Sep 2013 7:39 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

I've seen that clip before...its brilliant! :-)

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 1      
27 Sep 2013 8:34 PM by fazarelli Star rating. 282 posts Send private message

Great post and great video! Brilliant!

Like 1      
27 Sep 2013 9:09 PM by gnik Star rating in calahonda. 28 posts Send private message

Brilliant post couldn't agree more

Like 1      
28 Sep 2013 12:03 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

I do not know the percentages of non-Spanish who reside in Spain but I am sure they are NOT the majority or major contributor to the Spanish economy especially as many work on the fiddle and pay zero taxes etc. and most live on the costas

I am sure many Spanish try and fiddle the system but they are also in the minority as many do pay taxes etc

Yes Spain may be bureaucratic and make people jump through unnecessary hoops to get what they want. Personally I would prefer that to the hand out state we have in the UK.

Like 1      
28 Sep 2013 1:13 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

Tadd.....Missing the point since 1966

Like 0      
28 Sep 2013 2:22 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

Sain sucks so i prefer to live here  lol

Like 0      
30 Sep 2013 9:24 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar

" Its functionaries will leave you lying under a truck if they cannot find a SIP card in your rifled pockets."

That is certainly not my experience and frankly I consider this a ridiculous statement,. If Spain is that bad why don't you leave. You have obviously made a decent living here for a few years otherwise you would have left before now.

There is a lot about Spain that is not perfect but there is also a lot to like.I certainly would not consider moving back to the U.K. neither would the many people I have had this discussion with.Most of the whingers seem to have been here a while and remember great exchange rates etc and times when it was easy to make easy money here,now they complain because things are harder. Many of these people, and I know a few, have been fiddling the system ,avoiding tax etc. ( not suggesting you are one of them) yet they are the first to critisise the country.If you think there is no corrution in the Uk and better health care and a more justice go back and sample it. I know where I would rather be .

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 1      
01 Oct 2013 10:25 AM by norm de plume Star rating in North Tenerife and L.... 162 posts Send private message

I have spent 2 days of my life trying to pay my imputed income tax.  The Hacienda has had my cheque since December 2012, and just sat on it.  The jobsworths have refused to acknowledge there is anything wrong with their system - par for the course.  As I have said before, the Spanish Civil Service exists for its own benefit and no one else's.

My complaint to Brussels about the discrimination in Inheritance Taxes has resulted in a half-hearted and unsatisfactory attempt by the SpanishGovernment to remedy the situation, and will now go before the European Court later this year.

Like 0      
01 Oct 2013 12:01 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar

Good luck with that. Must admit I have never had any problems paying tax or with beauocrasy in general.Residencia, NIE,taxes, health system etc have all very smoothly. Guess I have been lucky.

On the other hand the local council in the UK managed to "lose" my application for planning permission which caused a delay of 3 months and cost me 20K plus as the recesssion kicked in the week they finally got it right, the aaaaaaaUK tax office also managed to "lose" my paperwork when changing to Spanish Tax ( but strangely they had my Spanish address that was on the lost paperwork) and a similar thing happened with the Pensions office so I guess you just never know when the beaurocRATS are going to bite.

This message was last edited by Acapulco on 01/10/2013.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
01 Oct 2013 12:52 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I am sure many Spanish try and fiddle the system but they are also in the minority as many do pay taxes etc

Tadd1966, I think you're being a bit naive here.  Fiddling the system in Spain is a national passtime and is widespread.  I know a lot of Spaniards and they all fiddle the system to different degrees.  It's one of the reasons the country is in such a mess...

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 3      
01 Oct 2013 1:23 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

As people have come to realise the implications of the tax situation in Spain, many have chosen to spend less than 183 days here in order to avoid the horrendous IHT which creates a burden for their families, and CGT on their lump sums, insurances, savings plans, proceeds from house sales in UK .Many have gone back to the UK purely for this reason.It's all very well to go on about sun, fiestas  and menu del dias, but at the end of the day, understandably, people want to protect their hard earned savings and assets from the greedy grip of the Spanish taxman.Spain is then missing out on a lot of money. If they want to attract people to retire here full time, and benefit from  the resultant spending on consumer goods and services etc, they must make their tax regime more attractive and less punitive.

Like 4      
01 Oct 2013 6:52 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Absolutely. Only time will tell how much revenue Spain has lost as a result of the ill-thought out 720. On top of that, there are increasing instances being reported of foreigners being charged at public hospitals (either when using their EHIC or Spanish SS card) Here's a copy of a post I made on another thread:

There's an interesting point of view expressed by a Spanish tax consultant in this week's Sur in English - I can't reproduce it here but it can be read on page 9 of the pdf version here http://services.surinenglish.com/virtual/20130927/

He argues for making Spain more attractive to foreigners, specifically from a tax point of view, because (in his opinion) Spain needs foreigners like never before.

I doubt if his argument will be heard by those in power though.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
16 Dec 2013 4:08 PM by BrianDunphy Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Thinking about doing business in Spain? 
DON'T! 
Doing in business in Spain is not a nightmare, because you can wake up from a nightmare. 

This is the worst country that you can imagine when it comes to running a business. From getting a phone line, to banking and dealing with the government - all is a Byzantine disaster where no one will every try to solve a problem. 

I am quite sure problem resolution is defined by most Spanish companies as "Piss the client off long enough so that they will eventually go away so that the customer service agent can get back to sitting on their ass in peace all with the knowledge that it is nearly impossible to fire them! Customer service can be summed up simply as a big "F*CK YOU to the client.

Like 2      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Backward Spain - 10 posts
Form 211 - 2 posts
Peter presentation - 2 posts
Help with WIFI and Phone wanted - 6 posts
Contacting Movistar - 8 posts
The TV Sharks are circling - 0 posts
‘Second homes tax’ for residents on worldwide property - 13 posts
Estate in Pilar De la Horadada - 2 posts
Ford Iveco 7500kg Truck For Sale - 1 posts
Tile Painting - 4 posts
Flamenco Dresses - 2 posts
Online Spanish Food - 6 posts
Au Pairs for CostaLuz Lawyers team - 0 posts
Starting a scooter hire business - 5 posts
Non resident cif number - 26 posts
Press fit plumbing systems - 4 posts
Rental Investment - Apartment or Villa? - 3 posts
changing windows 7 language - 6 posts
Goldcar – even more ways to get us to part with our money. - 1 posts
Latest update Astra 20-09-2013 - 1 posts
Water Fines - 2 posts
PVA bonding - repairing a badly rendered wall - 1 posts
Planning permission - 9 posts
Things to know before moving to Spain - 2 posts
UK TV channels in Spain. - 17 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 31

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x