Will the Internet ever get full

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Sep 2013 1:23 PM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

I have often wondered if the Internet could get to the stage when it was full and what would happen if it did. I have checked the net and nobody seems to be able to 'Yes' or 'No' with certainty. Any teccies or EOS Geeks know the answer to this one?

Like 1      
09 Sep 2013 8:38 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

I am not a computer geek but as I understand it we are not far away from reaching the limit, it is estimated that within 4-5 years the current infrastructure will reach its limit, I think I remember reading that we are just over half way there, but data usage on the internet grows at a rapid pace. The problem isn't so much will it ever get full, to which the answer is yes definitely if we do nothing about it, but can we solve the problem in the time frame. Runnung more cables would increase the bandwidth and cope with more data so as a system it is scalable but can we scale it up at the same speed as data  increases. It is very expensive and very slow to physically increase the capacity of the internet by running more cables etc. People are looking into making the internet more intelligent by filtering out information you don't need, as every piece of information is bits & bytes, and if the information can be more tailored the network will be more efficient, faster and take longer to reach its limit, but inevitably it will be just a question of laying more cable/wires and satellite networks and increasing data centres. 

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 1      
09 Sep 2013 10:02 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2328 posts Send private message

Maybe fibre optic cables will cure the problem, while copper cable can carry only about 3,000 phone calls at once, one fibre will handle well over 31,000 at once, and thousands of fibre cables make up one copper cable.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

pool and gardener wanted. - 0 posts
Peter - 3 posts
CFPB concerned about reverse mortgag-es - 0 posts
best place to buy beach chairs and parasol in or near Los Alcazares - 0 posts
spanish postal service - 1 posts
Part time kitchen helper required - 0 posts
Waitress required. English as a first language. Fuengirola area - 0 posts
Spanish digital tv - 4 posts
gestor help - 3 posts
Tours - 5 posts
spainish sip card - 7 posts
Registering for healthcare - 3 posts
Spanish court suspends demolition of British couples home pending appeal to ECHR - 45 posts
Easyjet flights till 15/6/2014 are out this morning - 2 posts
Administration/Bankruptcy - 9 posts
Exchange Spanish car to a UK car - 1 posts
Are you going back to the UK? Wanting to? - 0 posts
When it comes to buying a property, whose side is the agent on? - 24 posts
Any Members of Eye on Spain who own/rent on Sol de Mar 1, Playa Flamenca? - 0 posts
bonjela - 7 posts
QUICK EASYJET QUESTION - 3 posts
NEW! Supreme Court and no mortgage in off plan businesses - 0 posts
Is it true? - 9 posts
new arrangements for prescriptions - 18 posts
Part exchange car - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x