Is it true?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Sep 2013 2:31 PM by saljim Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

I have been told by an aquaintance ( ? ) that as an expat with a British passport that I am eligible to vote in a UK election, could anyone out there say if this is true and if so then how do I do it?

Like 0      
02 Sep 2013 2:35 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Yes it is but only for I believe 15 years after you leave UK.

As a resident in Spain you can voter in the Spanish local and European elections

Like 0      
02 Sep 2013 2:40 PM by saljim Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Hi there,

Thank you for your quick reply. I only arrived here in Oct. last year so could you tell me how I do it as I'm a complete rookie.

Like 0      
02 Sep 2013 2:45 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

You have to write to the town hall in the district in which you lived and paid Council tax,  before moving to Spain;they will send you an application form. You can appoint someone to vote by proxy, if you like or vote in person if you are in the UK. We did this, and voted in the General Election and Council Elections, though I have let it lapse now. They will send you reminder forms to send back within a time limit, if you want to stay on the list for future elections.

Like 0      
02 Sep 2013 2:49 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Google:--       right to vote in UK after leaving

for full info.

Like 0      
02 Sep 2013 4:16 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Another alternative offered is to vote by post, but up to now the timing of the forms etc has been far too tight for it to be effective, so you should NOT take this option. Some work is being done across party lines, to extend not only the timescale of this option, but also to grant the right to vote beyond the 15 year limit. Access "Labour International" website for more information locally here in Spain. I understand that a another party is also present here!

Like 0      
02 Sep 2013 4:22 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Why would you want to? Surely you leave a country, this country,  because you want a better life and are fed up with the way things are here, if you do vote you only vote to get people in power that might not be any good for the occupants of this country you left,  your out of it so any bad politics wont affect you.

Like 0      
02 Sep 2013 4:27 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Why would you want to?

People with UK government pensions (not State Pension)  must pay tax on that pension in the UK,  thus they should have the right to say how their taxes are spent.  At present it is Taxation Without Representation

This message was last edited by elaineG on 02/09/2013.

Like 0      
02 Sep 2013 4:34 PM by saljim Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Thanks to all.

is it true?

Like 0      
02 Sep 2013 4:39 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Yes, I know that about the government pensions, forces one's and all, what politician ever does what they say they will after you have voted them in? You could vote Father Christmas in but you would still have no control over how your taxes are being spent.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

new arrangements for prescriptions - 18 posts
Part exchange car - 9 posts
Domestic recycling bin - 0 posts
Domestic recycling bins - 3 posts
Selling in Spain - 9 posts
Just living on my pension in Spain is no problem! - 1 posts
FLEECED LIKE SHEEP - 2 posts
Re-connection of water & electricity in Pego - 4 posts
HC Energia - Help! - 1 posts
Update: ITV's Tonight will fly British would-be property buyers out to Spain to view €600 plots - 13 posts
Suma tax - 3 posts
Introducing Alotofwind... - 6 posts
Legal tip 1016. Law on Foreign investments in Spain. Bit six - 0 posts
Gibraltar, Spain wins, a light-hearted view. - 1 posts
Still Spot On - 2 posts
ITV's Tonight seeks Brits considering inland plots or villages for as little as €600 - 7 posts
Parking in the Port of Cartagena.. what a nice surprise ? - 0 posts
Non Resident Income Tax - 3 posts
Mijas Golf 24 hour Power Cut - 0 posts
Buy a plot of land in Spain for £500 - 26 posts
internet connection speed - 6 posts
Villa or finca wanted for winter rental from november to april - 2 posts
confused!! - 2 posts
Import procedure - 0 posts
Sleeping Easy? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x