applying for health care

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Aug 2013 12:14 AM by jeryf Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Hi, My Wife and I have now obtained our green residencia cards and want to register with the spainish health care.

We have been told that we can simply walk into the Fuengirola office but others say we need to ring for an appointment.

Also we have been conflicting lists of the documents that we need to take with us in order to register.

I set forth below what we think are the docs and perhaps a kind person who has recently registered will advise whether there are any other docs needed or whether any listed are not required.

original passport  + copy

original NIE           + copy

marriage cert       + copy

padron from town hall

residencia card   + copy

3 passport photos

proof of income

proof of private medical insurance

S1 + copy.

Many thanks

Like 0      
26 Aug 2013 1:11 PM by solwayiceman Star rating in Scotland. 50 posts Send private message

Hi you dont need photos, private health ins?, but you need more copies ie origonal + 2 copy with everthing. You are better to phone or get on internet for appiontment, as you just cant walk in or should I say thats here in Alicante.

Like 0      
26 Aug 2013 1:46 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Jeryf I think you will need just your S1, which proves you are entitled, and the registration document (green piece of paper)

original passport  + copy  ................................  NO (but as you are required to carry proof of ID at all times and your original PP is your only legal proof, you should have it with you anyway.

original NIE  …........………………………   ...     The EU Citizens Registration Cert replaces it.

marriage cert  ……………………..........….     No

padron from town hall……………  ...............   No

residencia card   ………………………..……..  no longer exist for EU citizens (since 2007)

EU Citizens Registration Cert ……………………..  YES

3 passport photos  ………………….   NO

proof of income  ………………………  NO

proof of private medical insurance ……….    NO

S1      ………………………………………………………  YES

Like 0      
26 Aug 2013 2:02 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Is a notarised copy of residency and passport acceptable? The repercussions of losing a passport etc are .terrible

Like 0      
26 Aug 2013 2:22 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Only the original PP or a copy certified by UK Passport Office or the British Consul.

PS  I know that all sorts of 'odds and ends, used bus tickets' even maybe, get accepted by ‘people who know no better shops, garages, restaurants etc, but the Police, Notaries, the courts etc  ‘do know better’  and need the PP

That said, I too get away with alternatives (long since expired Residencia Card, Spanish D/L etc) except when I go to ‘official’ offices and then I always take the original PP:.

This message was last edited by elaineG on 26/08/2013.

Like 0      
26 Aug 2013 2:30 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Don't know where you live elaineg, but I can assure you that, in the Valencia region, they won't entertain your request without a padron certificate. The sign in our town hall states you can apply for a healthcard only when you have gone upstairs to go on the padron. Passport was required to get the padron certificate and the EHIC card was needed along with the S1 and padron for the healthcard.

Like 0      
26 Aug 2013 2:40 PM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

Hi All

Please could someone recommend private healthcare options as when we shortly retire to Spain we will not be of state pensionable age for a number of years.

Am I right in that we could have around 2 years cover from the UK (we have worked and paid NI in the UK for over 30 years) before we need private healthcare?

thanks

Kerry

Like 0      
26 Aug 2013 2:44 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Bobaol, well as we know there are a lot of Spaniards who do not actually read the instructions from Central government and thus variations flourish, however on this occasion, maybe it’s a variation between the Health Authorities.

That said: Jeryf, should have registered on the Padron as they are living here, and that too is a legal requirement.

Again your town hall seem out of line.  They require proof of the NIE and the address where one is living in the town. And of course as I said,  we all must have our proof of ID with us at all times, so that goes without saying, I hope.

Like 0      
26 Aug 2013 2:50 PM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

KerryB.
I don't know when you're intending to retire to Spain, but you need to be aware that there is currently a consultation ( think it ends soon) whereby the UK will stop issuing the S1 form ( based on your NI contributions as opposed to being of pensionable age) from the 1st April 2014.

Like 0      
26 Aug 2013 3:28 PM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

Thanks Kathyslad for the information

We are planning to retire end of 2015 so will apply to us then

So much for the European Union !!

Like 0      
26 Aug 2013 5:42 PM by wencra Star rating in mollina - malaga. 66 posts Send private message

wencra´s avatar

hi Kathyslad does that mean that you can only get medical cover if you are pensionable age and if below you need private medical cover if retiring early?

Like 0      
26 Aug 2013 6:33 PM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

that is my understanding

the s1 form used to give you around 2 years cover via uk but that appears to be going from next year

Like 0      
28 Aug 2013 11:52 PM by jeryf Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Hi elaineG, thank you for the info. To show my ignorance do you know whether my NIE will be accepted or do I need to exchange this for the the EU citizens reg cert. Thanks

Like 0      
29 Aug 2013 8:40 AM by kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

hi Kathyslad does that mean that you can only get medical cover if you are pensionable age and if below you need private medical cover if retiring early?

Thats correct, unless you were registered on the Foreigners Register (the Green certificate) before 24th April 2012. In which case you qualify for state health cover, providing you earn under €100,000. You also have to obtain a letter from the UK saying you are not entitled to health cover there (becuase you don't live there), and apply for a SIP card. Otherwise, you will need privtae health cover to be able to register anyway.

Like 0      
29 Aug 2013 8:41 AM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Jery F

If you are in Spain permanently for 90 days, or if you live here (you are applying for health cover so you do live here) then you must be registered on the EU citizen Register.

Like 0      
29 Aug 2013 10:30 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

A little of track a bit but read the Daily Mail today, the Letters page, about the chap who went into hospital in Spain.

Like 0      
29 Aug 2013 11:14 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Here The Guardia Civil accept a spanish driving licence as proof of ID.IT has all the info of the old tarjeta , except the fingerprint.

Eu citizens cannot be asked to carry a passport as they cannot be treated differntly from a Spanish national, & they do not have to carry there id at all times any more & haven't done for about 2 years.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
29 Aug 2013 12:06 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Gus,

........................ EU citizens cannot be asked to carry a passport as they cannot be treated differently from a Spanish national, & they do not have to carry there id at all times any more & haven't done for about 2 years.

But Spaniard are required to carry ID at alltimes,  but they of cousre have their DNI    (Documento Nacional Identidad), which is their legal ID.  With it they can travel throughout the EU.

Thus everyone is treated the same.    As I said, the only Legal ID,  for Brits in Spain, is their PP.  If Brits had a national ID card then that would be their legal ID

PS  Gus,  If you are so convinced you can use your D/L, try signonga  document before a Notrary, or arguing the point with the police, or  flying to another EU country with it.   "I don’t think so."

PPS I did say, "That said, I too get away with alternatives (my long since expired Residencia Card, Spanish D/L etc) except when I go to ‘official’ offices and then I always take the original PP:"      Oh, and when I travel to other EU countries!!!!!!

This message was last edited by elaineG on 29/08/2013.

Like 0      
29 Aug 2013 2:46 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar

Looks like I snuck in just in time then - I'm in the process of sorting residency (no don't shout at me - I didn't say residencia!!!), and just got my S1 form yesterday from the Overseas Health section in Newcastle, which will cover me until January 2015.

Latest blog-post covers this ..... http://tamaraessexspanishblog.wordpress.com/2013/08/29/70-goodbye-to-the-nhs/  and the traumas of cutting myself adrift from the NHS.

Also published on Eye on Spain - use the link in my signature.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
29 Aug 2013 5:09 PM by wencra Star rating in mollina - malaga. 66 posts Send private message

wencra´s avatar

on applying for the S1 do you have to be already registered in spain or can you appy in the uk before you move out there?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

TO ALL BLOGGERS & ADMIN - 0 posts
problems with my kindle. - 5 posts
problem with web page - 5 posts
habitation certificate - 40 posts
Blog changes!! WHERE ARE PHOTOS I UPLOADED? - 10 posts
Goodfly - 0 posts
administrators - 3 posts
I am looking at geting a new bench top any recommendations? - 3 posts
Disapponted visit to Spain - 10 posts
swimming pools - 2 posts
Social Security Payments- Optional? - 1 posts
Windows - 1 posts
Legal tip 1010. Law on Foreign investments in Spain. Bit four - 0 posts
Have you been affected by a Cowboy Builder? - 23 posts
JUST WHO IS DOING THE SHOPLIFTING - 11 posts
fulhampatrick - 0 posts
Need a new kitchen and or bench top - 0 posts
Google Chrome Bug - 2 posts
Spain: fertile lands in return for European assistance and credits. - 0 posts
Bank accounts in the UK - 5 posts
Gibraltar border cntrols - 1 posts
EHIC vs Travel Insurance - 10 posts
Private and public healthcare - 0 posts
Foreign investment in Spain. Bit three - 0 posts
Health & Safety certificate. - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 29

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x