Bank accounts in the UK

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Aug 2013 1:44 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

When phoning my bank in the UK about a different matter, the advisor mentioned that if you are resident in another country you cannot have a savings account in the UK. I said, that's funny, I've been here 12 years with the full knowledge of the bank, with current and savings accounts;I have also been allowed to open a different account with the bank as advised by them.How could I have  done this if the bank does not allow it. I know you can keep an ISA but not put any more money in when no longer a UK resident.

Thousands of Ex pats must have savings in UK, Indeed they were enterd on the 720 assets form(if law abiding ex pats!)

Some apparently do not inform the bank of their move to Spain, have statements delivered to relatives and sent on out here.

What have others experienced with their banks in regard to savings in the UK?

This message was last edited by camposol on 20/08/2013.

This message was last edited by camposol on 20/08/2013.

Like 0      
20 Aug 2013 2:41 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

I had 3 flex accounts plus a saving account with Nationwide when I came to Spain 25 years ago.  

About 10 years ago I needed a credit card.   I was told as I lived o/s UK, although I could keep my existing accounts, I could not open any new ones.  A couple of emails to CEO and I got my credit card account

About two years ago NW withdrew one of my 3 debit cards and gave me a Cash card. Useless as I live in Spain. A couple of weeks ago they spontaneously cancelled the cash card and I now have a new Debit Card, so back to 3 debits and one Credit card.

All my accounts, except one, have my Spanish address.  However, I had one card with an UK address,  as it was convenient if I wanted something delivered in the UK (some suppliers will only do that if the account address is also in UK).     I was told that was not possible, but after a chat on the phone, I now have one card with the UK address as the registered address.

Like 0      
20 Aug 2013 3:59 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
I informed natwest of my address in Spain. Sice then, I have been back to UK and opened a savings account in my name and one in my wife's name, no problems. The only hiccup was that they didn't send me a new debit card on my current account and I had to phone them to get one.
I think your advisor is getting his facts wrong.

Like 0      
20 Aug 2013 4:17 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

I have been here for 17 years fulltime, and have held  LTSB current and savings accounts in both my own and my wife's names throughout. There has never been any question as to validity. I have always held the view, however, that on leaving UK one should maintain at least one pre-existing UK bank account to avoid any potential difficulty with opening new ones from a non UK address

I have had difficulties with Nationwide. A bit bloodyminded in my view.

Like 0      
20 Aug 2013 4:41 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Opening a new account (for sure if you do not already have one with them) with Nationwide would seem to not possible unless you live (not just an address) in UK.   This is the relevant page form the online application.

There is no provision for an overseas address  unless it is BFPO. 

The residential Status mean owner/sharing/rent etc.

This message was last edited by elaineG on 20/08/2013.

Like 0      
20 Aug 2013 10:32 PM by fyfin Star rating in Turre Almeria. 54 posts Send private message

fyfin´s avatar

We had no problems of informing Nationwide and Norwich & Peterborough BS of our change of address to Spain. I suspect there would be problems opening new accounts though as suggested previously i.e you have to be a UK resident.

It's been really useful keeping the N&P Gold a/c as we get commission free withdrawals from cah machines in Spain at the proper interbank rate of exchange.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Gibraltar border cntrols - 1 posts
EHIC vs Travel Insurance - 10 posts
Private and public healthcare - 0 posts
Foreign investment in Spain. Bit three - 0 posts
Health & Safety certificate. - 0 posts
EX-18 Completed Form Example - 13 posts
question re delivery of items via amazon es if not home at the time - 9 posts
Tony - 0 posts
First Aid in Spain - 1 posts
RYANAIR - 125 posts
Legal tip 1008. Foreign investments in Spain. Bit two - 0 posts
Legal tip 1006. Foreign investment in Spain. Bit one - 0 posts
seeking trustworthy letting agent almeria area - 0 posts
Law firm to get my money back from CBL and a developer in Spain - 3 posts
Cajamar bank - 6 posts
Each to their own I suppose - 8 posts
Car Information - 11 posts
Vuelta 2013 - 2 posts
FORD PUMA FOR SALE - 1 posts
Portugal makes unexpectedly dramatic exit from recession - could Spain follow suit? - 0 posts
Boat Trip - 6 posts
Foreign Office to complain to Madrid after Gibraltar motorists endure five hour delays - 0 posts
Importance of fencing in garden - 1 posts
IHT a query - 34 posts
Murcia supermarket opening times - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x