resident or non resident tax

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 May 2013 6:28 AM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

The tax was only reinstated for two years as an "emergency measure". Also, it is based on individual wealth..so....couples will be assessed for wealth tax separately, and jointly held assets are treated as belonging to each individual on a 50:50 basis, so the threshold for a married couple is therefore €1.4 million. Therefore if a property is held in joint names the exempt threshold value of the property increases to 600'000 Euros.

The primary residence is treated as exempt, for an individual, up to a value of €300,000. Double for a jointly held residence.

Like 0      
17 May 2013 9:27 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

66D, it appears,  is referring to the position of Tax resident, as he referred to ‘primary residence’  which would only apply to those who are tax resident in Spain.

However, Roberto you were asking specifically about the Patrimonio tax liabilities re non-residents.   (I did say I not want to get into this!)

Non-tax--residents also have the 300,000 exemption, for each joint owner (could be more than two)  of a property, and 700,000 per person exemption for other assets held in Spain  (unlike tax residents where obligation to pay Patrimonio Tax  applies to their worldwide wealth). 

So, if a 'Non-tax-resident'  has several properties, they get the 300,000 allowance on the ‘first’ property, then if the remaining properties, and their other assets in Spain, have a combined value of more than 700,000,  then Patrimonio Tax must be paid on the excess.

(As I said I wanted to leave it at the level, which affects most people; those with loads of money will probably have professional financial advice, assisting them to ‘avoid’ paying ‘too much’)

This message was last edited by johnzx on 17/05/2013.

Like 0      
17 May 2013 10:04 AM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

66d35 said:  "The tax was only reinstated for two years as an "emergency measure".

This is true but recently the Government announced that although the initital intention was for the tax to be reinstated for only two years (2012 and 2013), the economic situation has made it necessary to add another two years (2014 and 2015).  Let's just hope it doesn't get extended any further, but I am not betting on it.  The same goes for the increased Personal Income Tax rates.

Like 0      
17 May 2013 10:49 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Lobin
                   "The tax was only reinstated for two years as an "emergency measure".

But,   it was originally introduced in 1977,  as a temporary measure, so don’t ever hold your breath guys !

Like 0      
17 May 2013 10:50 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

http://costaluzlawyers.es/images/guides/spanish_taxes_free_guide.pdf

Please let us know if you have any question/s.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
17 May 2013 11:10 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The OP had a question - he still hasn't got an answer!

OK, now I admit I'm bored!!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
17 May 2013 11:28 AM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

OK, Roberto, although I agree with you that the OP is no longer following the thread.

The tax rates and tax allowances are completely different for resident and non-resident taxpayers.  The tax base is also different.  The rates and allowance vary from year to year.  They are available in the website of the AEAT (Agencia Estatal de Administracion Tributaria), the Spanish Tax Revenue service.

One can only choose to be a resident or non-resident taxpayer by altering the circumstances, mainly changing the length of time one stays in Spain in each calendar year.  It has nothing to do with having a "residencia or being registered in the EU Residents Registry". These latter issues are administrative issues and not tax relevant except to say that if one has residencia or is registered in the EU Registry the tax authorities will assume one is also tax resident.

This assumption can be overcome, possibly with some difficulty, if one is able to prove that either due to the length of time of one's stay in Spain or by application of the tie breaker clause in an applicable Tax Treaty with the other country, one is not a tax resident of Spain.  This would not be an easy task as under the tax rules, one is taxed as a resident if one stays more than 183 days in a calendar year or has the intention of staying in this country more than that period of time.  Negating the intention when one is registered or has a residencia is very difficult although at least in pure theory, not impossible.

Like 0      
17 May 2013 5:14 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Good answer  

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 May 2013 6:52 PM by jeryf Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Hi, I am  very new to this forum and was taken aback by the rude bully boy tactics adopted by  johnzx. It is said "that he who shouts has nothing to say".

Ignoring him I am most grateful for the remaining posts which I found friendly,constructive and helpful. 

Apologies that my original question was not clear. I have an NIE number and do not own property in spain. I do not have residencia

but pay spanish income tax upon my uk income. From what you guys have said it would appear that I should not be paying tax without firstly obtaining residencia. 

I was under the impresion that spanish income tax can be paid by both resiidents and non residents. Hence my badly phrased question

whether the percentage of  tax and allowances applied to income is different  between residents and non residents.

It looks like I should hurry down to my national police station and get residencia. Should I still have the situation wrapped well and truly round my neck I would appreciate being told by one of you guys who is not given to" shouting." Thanks.

Like 0      
19 May 2013 5:23 AM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

There is no such thing as residencia any more. It was abolished years ago.

Please see other (extensive) threads on this topic. There is an "EU Citizens Register". This is not 'residencia' and actually has zero to do with your tax situation. You become liable for Spanish (and worldwide) income taxes in Spain if you spend more than 183 days in any 12 month period here.

Spanish income tax is not payable by non (fiscal) residents. Only by fiscal residents. You are fiscally resident if you spend 183 or more days here. If you are still confused about this, I would suggest seeking professional advice from a qualified tax advisor who will look at your personal situation and be able to determine your precise status. Obvously, if you are not a fiscal resident of Spain I have no idea why you would be even registered for Spanish income tax.

Like 0      
19 May 2013 9:02 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

66d    
                              There is no such thing as Residencia anymore. It was abolished years ago.

66d is absolutely correct (in as far as EU citizens are concerned, however, it does still exist for non-EU citizens who must have it). 

To be precise it ceased to exit for new applicants from April 2007. Thus no EU citizen has had a Residencia card since April 2012, when the last cards expired.

Incidentally, it means that the only legally acceptable ID that a UK citizen has, is their ORIGINAL passport, or a copy authorised by the British Consul / or UK Passport Office (and nobody else).

Before ‘some of my friends’ here come to shoot me down, I know that others pieces of paper are generally accepted by supermarket, garages etc. (i.e. people who know no better) but in most case the Courts, Police, Notaries etc. will not accept anything else.  On a day to day basis, I still use my Residencia Card which expired in 2007.  Is still accepted by supermarkets etc.

Like 0      
19 May 2013 11:40 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Oh dear, the swivel-eyed loons are taking over again, banging on about the literal meaning of the word residencia. It is quite clear that in this (and pretty much any other) context it merely refers to the state of being classed as a resident in Spain. Whether that status is recorded on a credit card sized ID card, or a green sheet of A4, is irrelevant. None of this drivel about what is acceptable ID at a supermarket is helping the OP understand his tax situation.

Jeryf, it might help us if you could explain when and why you obtained an NIE? Unless you did at one time register as a resident, or you bought a property here, it's hard to see why you even have one. Perhaps you work(ed) here, but in that case you would normally have had to register as a resident first also. And could you elaborate a little on exactly what type of "UK income" you pay tax on in Spain? pensions? Savings interest? And how do you pay it? It seems unlkely that you are filing a Spanish tax return on your own (no offence meant) so who does it for you? If you have a gestor doing it, surely they are the people to advise you on this matter.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
19 May 2013 11:55 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I did say,  "Before ‘some of my friends’ here come to shoot me down"

But one of them could not  resist the opportunity to be critical. Bless him.

Using the term  'resident' is fine when describing a person who lives in a certain place but using a term which has a specific mean such as  'Residencia' which does relate to certain groups but not to others,  can be totally misleading. especially for those who are not as knowledge as some 'of my friends.'    Hence 66d saying "There is no such thing as Residencia any more"  is relevant.

Like 0      
19 May 2013 6:39 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Which part of your post(s) refers to tax? Please, if you have no advice for the OP and nothing constructive to contribute, ** EDITED - Inciting **.

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 20/05/2013.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
19 May 2013 8:05 PM by eos_moderators Star rating in España. 173 posts Send private message

eos_moderators´s avatar

Let's please keep this thread polite at all times, before it gets out of hand and completely off topic

Like 0      
30 Jun 2013 6:45 PM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

Apologies as this may appear a stupid question but can you be tax resident in Spain but still keep your UK nationality.

We have just bought a property in spain and intend spending a few weeks a year in Spain until we retire in a couple of years time. We are planning to sell our UK property and leaving the money in the bank.

We plan to spend around 6 months or longer in Spain along with 3 months per year in Florida and perhaps 3 months travelling.(all outside UK)

My question is without a UK property, and if we spent more than 6 months per year in Spain, I realise we would become tax resident but would we also lose our UK nationality and passport.

We will probably return to the UK eventually when grandchildren hopefully come along in the future.

thanks for help as always

regards

Kerry

Like 0      
30 Jun 2013 6:50 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
You never lose your nationality or passport. You merely register as a EU citizen.

Like 0      
30 Jun 2013 6:59 PM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

thanks bobaol

off on a slight tangent.. would we lose our right on UK healthcare when we finally return to the UK?

I realise that as we are not of pensionable age we would need to take out private healthcare in Spain and Florida, etc. certainly until we state pensionable age (66 in our case). But I am not sure whether if we eventually return to the UK before aged 66 whether our NI contributions paid in for around 35 years to date would cover us for healthcare.

Kerry 

This message was last edited by KERRYB on 30/06/2013.

Like 0      
01 Jul 2013 2:58 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Healthcare in the UK is not contribution based but residency based. Therefore once the UK  becomes your usual place of residence you would be entitled to NHS treatment after a qualifying period of (I think) 6 months. Although in practice, once you have a UK address most GP surgeries do not ask too many questions and would accept you on their list. That may change in the future!

Have a look at the Government website and on this forum as the question has been asked before.

Like 0      
01 Jul 2013 7:22 PM by valtay Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Wife & I are Non-Resident in Spain and thinking of renting out our property. There is an outstanding mortgage. Would there be deductible allowances for this and other expenses associated with the property and what rate of tax would be payable on the rent after deductions? I understand the tax rate is 24.75% for 2012/2013. Would it be the same for 2014? If anyone has any knowledge on this, would apprecaite advice. Thanks. valtay

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

What would happen if UK "bailed out" of the EU after 40 years of membership. ? - 160 posts
Subsidence cover in spanish buildings insurance - 15 posts
Lloyds international Bank - 10 posts
can you move to spain with no UK or Spanish bank account - 10 posts
Relocating to Murcia - 4 posts
Can I get free advice on starting a business - 7 posts
Taking your Laywer to Court In Spain - 6 posts
Transforming finance - 0 posts
Looking for my pool architect from 2006..(or a new one) - 2 posts
Butano/Propano GAS wall mounted boilers - 4 posts
Spain Officially insolvent get your money out - 9 posts
So Fergys retirement is official - at last - 0 posts
2 Cool Ikea Loft Beds for quick sale €30 each or €50 for the two - Fuengirola - 0 posts
Local Impartial Solicitor Needed for Property Law - 0 posts
embargos - 4 posts
Renewing passport - 7 posts
EHIC Problems? - 19 posts
Where On The Costas? - Phil From Belfast - 1 posts
the plot thickens - 4 posts
Holiday house swap Spain - U.K. - 1 posts
moving to Spain - 11 posts
decorative concrete - 4 posts
legal advice - 6 posts
Costa Calida - 2 posts
Spain still offers a lower cost of living - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 41

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x