I have bought a LHD Spanish Registered Car in the UK is it really that difficult to transfer into my name

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Apr 2013 4:47 PM by tinamoralee Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

I have read so many information sites and am beginning to think we have done something we may regret - having purchased our Spanish registered car in the UK from a dealer we have driven down to the home we own in Spain (only used for holidays) - and we now need to transfer it into our name - we have NIE numbers and we have a copy of the persons passport that sold the car to the dealer

Has anyone else done the same and is it as hard as it is appearing to be from what we have read

Like 0      
17 Apr 2013 5:58 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

It worked very well for us.

I got the car insured in Spain whilst we were still in the UK, this ment that driving the car for our last week in the UK and down to the ferry at Portsmouth I was only covered 'third party', when we arrived in Spain it was fully comprehensive.

This is what you need, should have.

1/ Tajeta Tecnica De Vehiculos - Technical Card
2/ Permissio De Circulacion - Log Book
3/ Previous Owners Passport - Copy
4/ Previous Owners NI Number - Copy
5/ Comprador (Sale Contract) Signed By the Vendorer (Previous Owner)
6/ Traffico Report showing no Fines/Accidents or Embargo’s  - This is called a Infome and can be purchased on line here http://www.informes-trafico.es/index.php or though Traffico in Spain or local administrator (Gestoria) - this is equivilent to a HPI check in the uk, A MUST HAVE - many Spanish cars that end up back in the UK have debt on them still and this goes with the car and not with owner.

Items 1-5 you will need to transfer the car - item 6 the Informe is your choice but better to know that there are no embargos on the car before you start the process

When we got to Spain I just gave all the paperwork to a Gestoria and let them do the transfer, I think they only charged 80€ plus of cause taxes and fees.

Good Luck

Like 1      
18 Apr 2013 11:25 AM by tinamoralee Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Wow thank you for your reply feeling much better after reading your message we have the documents you have listed but not a sale contract signed by the previous owner I will get on the case for that fingers crossed it will work as well for us. Thank you again nice to have positive response. We love Spain but sometimes to keep legal is tough

Like 0      
18 Apr 2013 11:54 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi

If you nip in to your nearest Gestoria office they should let you have a Comprador ask them to show you the box where the previous owner should sign if it's not clear to you, I think you can also pick them up from the Post Office but not 100% sure.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2013 11:58 AM by tinamoralee Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thank you I have just ordered a vehicle report bit late but at least we can check and deal with any problems should they arise

Like 0      
18 Apr 2013 1:45 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I be may be completely wrong, but I have in the back of my memory that one cannot legally sell/buy a Spanish Reg vehicle outside Spain.  I can't find anything on the internet though.

Some years ago the police were questioning sellers of Non Spanish registered cars which were being offered for sale in a boot market here.  I understood they too were saying it was illegal to sell/buy a non-Spanish reg Vehicle in Spain.

Just a thought, but may be worth checking out.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2013 3:16 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I be may be completely wrong, but I have in the back of my memory that one cannot legally sell/buy a Spanish Reg vehicle outside Spain. I can't find anything on the internet though.

Wouldn't say completely wrong John, but i know for a fact that you can buy a Spanish reg car legally in the UK, I have done on plenty of occasions, if they went back i don't know, French reg one's as well and they went back to France, Southern Ireland are okay but can be hassle.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2013 5:33 PM by I_Love_javea Star rating in Gibraltar / Morocco .... 125 posts Send private message

Why not!

Shiny happy people - where?

Like 0      
18 Apr 2013 9:38 PM by tinamoralee Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

It's legal to buy in UK that we have checked forum given great guidance thank you

Like 0      
19 Apr 2013 8:48 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Tina

It's legal to buy in UK that we have checked

Hope you are right and that you checked with Trafico, as anyone else could be suspect.

Like 0      
19 Apr 2013 1:00 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

For no 5 , factura, if you haven't got one just make your own.

lay it out as ;

VEHICULO                                                               VEHICLE

Marca                                                                         Make

Modelo                                                                      Model

Numero de Matriculación                                     Reg. number

Bastidor                                                                    chassis number

ITV : Si/No                                                                  MOT until whatever date

Impuesto de tracción mecanica: si/no                  Road tax paid up to date

VENDEDOR                                                                 Seller

Nombre                                                                        Name

Dirección                                                                    address

Numero de NIE                                                        NIE number

Precio                                                                         purchase price

Firma y fecha                                                             sign & date

COMPRADOR                                                           buyer

Nombre

Dirección

Numero de NIE

Firma y Fecha

OBSERVACIONES.

In here would go how it is being sold  I.e. If it has no itv & is being sold as spares/repair

Normally when sold with itv& current,paid, road tax all that would be here is ;

Vehículo vendido como vista y sin garantía                                                                       Sold as seen & without gaurantee

If you are asking the buyer to pay all transfer costs then add this

El comprador para pagar el  coste de transferencia de vehículo.                           Buyer to pay transfer costs.

If you are asking the buyer to pay this years road tax then add this in here;

El comprador para pagar el  Impuesto vehiculos traccion mecanica de 2013

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
19 Apr 2013 1:20 PM by tinamoralee Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

well worth using this forum - BIG thanks for that

Like 0      
19 Apr 2013 2:17 PM by tinamoralee Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

We now have our report and all good - getting somewhere

By the way our solicitor is Spain confirmed in writing that it is perfectly legal to purchase a Spanish registered car in the UK and return to Spain with it

Like 0      
19 May 2015 12:59 AM by cocherojo Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi everyone, 

You may not be able to help, but have tried googleing so many things and can´t find a thing at all. We brought our Spanish car to the UK, because we used to live in Guernsey and there was no trouble to insurance it over there. But when we arrived to England, we realized that the insurence companies over here are far to expensive, if they actually insure the car. We are now thinking of selling the car, but we don´t know where to do it, or if anyone knows of any insurance companies that do what we need for a reasonable price, would be much appreciate it as well.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Vanessa and Luis 

Like 0      
19 May 2015 11:12 AM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

Vanessa and Luis, If you are domiciled in the UK you can't drive a foreign plated car. Obviously if you are only visiting you can drive it for up to 6 months. I am assuming that you have transferred your car on to UK plates and need insurance for a LHD car? If so, it's is probabaly best to consult an insurance broker, who would know the companies to approach.

Like 0      
19 May 2015 2:53 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

With a constant stream of people coming and going the UK has quite a buoyant second hand market for Spanish registered cars, you can either go to a dealer or sell privately. In the main, private buyers and sellers use either ebay or Gumtree

There would be a number of dealers prepared to buy your car (google them) but I suspect they will offer you far less than you are expecting.

Did you de register the car in Spain with Trafico? (Baja) Unfortunantley most people don't which means that the road tax is accuring all the time in Spain

Like 0      
19 May 2015 3:12 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

I was looking on the Autotrader site for a BMW X3 and spotted one that was circa £5K under list, when the euforia wore off I noticed that it was a left hooker and could only be exported, any idea what the latter was all about? 

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
19 May 2015 3:23 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hep

Most probably not made for the European market from the manufacturer, So no COC (and no hope of getting one) or EU harmonisation re VAT etc. You find a lot of these vehicles offered for sale out side the EU were made for the Chinese, Russian or Middle East markets.

This message was last edited by Team GB on 19/05/2015.

Like 0      
19 May 2015 3:34 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

GB45: You are not quite correct in stating that a U.K. resident can't drive a foreign plated car as one can. What you are not allowed to do is OWN a foreign plated car that is used on the U.K. roads. Also there is the 6 month rule which states that a foreign plated car (irrespective of ownership) is only allowed in the U.K. for 6 months in any period of 12 months. It is important that if you are using a foreign plated car you should carry proof of when the vehicle entered the U.K. and also when it is leaving the U.K.

Like 0      
19 May 2015 5:20 PM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

Sorry Steone, you are quite right. It was my bad wording, I should have said OWN not DRIVE.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Abortion reform in Spain : Madness! - 33 posts
Change of address - 5 posts
Expat Solutions - 19 posts
retail shop rental for florist business. - 12 posts
Will a cheap airline fly to cordoba? - 2 posts
hello - 21 posts
uk / spain - 0 posts
3G in Spain - 2 posts
New and seeking guidance - 10 posts
Medical insurance - 11 posts
Need a recommendation for a good restaurant in Malaga old town. - 3 posts
Does this happen to others ???? - 1 posts
Where to buy sewing machines? - 4 posts
EGM's - 6 posts
What is going on with card sharing? - 0 posts
New photos loaded on Camposol Community Forum Page - 3 posts
Neighbour from hell - 13 posts
Insolvency - 6 posts
upto date advice if poss please - 1 posts
belgium/french pesion? - 0 posts
Newbee!!! - 0 posts
Help!!!! UK to SPAIN. ANYONE GOT SPACE IN A VAN/LORRY????? - 4 posts
Inland Sky TV Spain - 9 posts
HELP!!!! UK to SPAIN ANY SPACE IN A VAN???? - 0 posts
latest threads first, please! - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 23

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x