Hoping to move my family and I to Spain!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Apr 2013 10:58 AM by DaveLynn Star rating in Walsall, West Midlan.... 5 posts Send private message

DaveLynn´s avatar

Hi Everyone, where do I start??

Well I am hoping to move my family and I to Spain. I have many questions, so basically if I tell you all about us, any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

So....I am married and we have an 18 year old son. I work, my wife doesn't and our son is looking to go back to college in september, which I assume he could do anywhere!! (comments please!!!) We also have 7 cats, that we would be looking to bring with us. Not sure how this would work, so again advice on this would be fantastic.

Workwise, I have a bus/coach drivers licence and experience to go with it. Currently, I work in the transport training sector, primarily NVQ's and drivers CPC for those of you that understand that!

So question no.1 - What are the chances of finding work related to what I do here? or...something/anything different? What do I need to expect?

My wife doesn't work (although she'd kill me for saying so!!) she looks after the house and the rest of us and crochets.

Is it easy to find work, find a house to rent?? What are the legalities involved, especially re the cats!??

So thats about it so far, just to kick things off.....I look forward to your comments!!! :)

Like 0      
03 Apr 2013 11:51 AM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

I have sent you a private message

Like 0      
03 Apr 2013 12:01 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I would say your chances of finding a job are close to zero.  Sorry to sound harsh but this is the reality with undemployment at over 26%.  A lot of people are having to leave Spain now to find work.

And after your son has finished studying, what is he going to do for work in Spain?  Youth unemployment is 60% and looks like staying high for the forseeable future...

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2013 12:11 PM by DaveLynn Star rating in Walsall, West Midlan.... 5 posts Send private message

DaveLynn´s avatar

Thanks for you comments Sanchez, I had no idea things were so dire over there. :(

Like 0      
03 Apr 2013 12:16 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

Hi Dave

Welcome to EOS. Re your son, when you say college do you mean university or is he in his final year of A levels? Either way the systems in Spain are different and he would obviously need to have a high level of fluency to achieve anything in Spain. If he doesn't speak Spanish, I will be honest, he doesn't have a hope of continuing his studies here so I wouldn't assume he can do it anywhere. It would take him about  a year of solid grind in Spain to achieve a decent level of Spanish and possibly two to be able to study higher education, but then again that depends on the person. I studied in Madrid and found the first year very difficult in deed but I had already developed a base before coming but it wasn't until about 18months later that I really felt fluent enough to tackle anything.

Finding work is very difficult at the moment and I would imagine your sector would be rather complicated but I don't know it well. maybe here other can advise better. But you should expect it to be extremely and painfully difficult to find a job especially related to what you want to do. The only jobs that seem to be available and in demand for foreignors at the moment are languages based positions, ie teaching or course management as it is booming at the moment with the need to learn English and leave the country! So if you were to have a Celta teaching certificate or something similar you may well find work as an English teacher.

Renting an apartment is very easy, you need proof of income or assets and there are a million flats to choose from :)

In reference to the legalities there are tons of threads on every aspect of moving to Spain, I suggest you navigate around the site and get involved in the threads that interest you.

Hope that helps a little !

and welcome

Ian

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
03 Apr 2013 12:40 PM by DaveLynn Star rating in Walsall, West Midlan.... 5 posts Send private message

DaveLynn´s avatar

Thanks Ian, 

It interest me the point you made about my son's studies. He is 18 but intending on going back to college (16-18 in UK) not university, although he hopes to continue on to University. He doesnt speak any spanish at the moment as neither do we. That would be something we would look into at least gaining basic proficiency. 

In terms of work, I am not concerned about particularly getting work in my area, however, I do have training qualifications and I have also considered enrolling on a CELTA course! (What a coincedence!!)

Porpertywise, I have been having a little look around. We don't really want an apartment, and we do prefer slightly more rural surroundings, but not too far out as my wife doesn't drive. We are really looking at houses. The biggest consideration is the pets issue. So far from comments that have been made, it may not be viable, but I am happy to take further advice on that, especially as we plan to rent and not buy.

Oh well, so thats a good start and definitely food for thought!

Thanks a lot!! :)

Like 0      
03 Apr 2013 3:21 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Dave-I'm really surprised you did not know what the situation is like as regards work. There has been so much about Spain in the UK press.

Your priorities should be health cover and having sufficient money to tide you over while you decide whether to stay here or not.

If you have a house in UK best to keep it.

You will also need to know about being registered for tax in Spain;Lately there have been some unwelcome new laws.

Many do bring their cats here, but there are so many running around wild, so it it would be best if you found somewhere very rural.Stray dogs are a big problem too.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2013 3:30 PM by davidjrowe Star rating in Casares Pueblo. 37 posts Send private message

stay in the UK, work here is hard to get, the cost of living is high and the Spanish dont want us here. The only reason to be here is the SUN and nothing else.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2013 3:43 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

davidjrowe- I agree with you, but there are many on EOS who won't!

Like 0      
03 Apr 2013 3:47 PM by DaveLynn Star rating in Walsall, West Midlan.... 5 posts Send private message

DaveLynn´s avatar

Well then maybe the question I need to ask is why do I want move to spain? Primarily to improve mine and my familys quality of life. Is that achievable??

Like 0      
03 Apr 2013 3:56 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Depends what you mean by quality of life- some will say its less stressful, though I have yet to find it so. Some say it's cheaper-maybe in some aspects, but overall No.Yes you will have the sun but it is not a cureall, and weather is not like Place in the sun all the time. If you cannot find work what will you do? Help with the many animal charities?Can you afford not to work? What will your son do? Perhaps better for him to study in UK.Could you do a half and half, and have a holiday home in Spain?

Bet you feel everyone is putting you off! Many of us would say if we knew then what we know now....

Take time to go through different threads of living in Spain, and weigh everything up.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2013 4:14 PM by davidjrowe Star rating in Casares Pueblo. 37 posts Send private message

Yes i agree with the last post, it is not easy here. Some people would ask "if you dislike it that much move back to UK" however my daughter is 14 and has gone through all her edducation here in Spanish School, my wifes English is not good and Spanish is the language of our house.

My wife has a full time job with a Spanish company and has a full contract.

The weather helps and yes there are some parts of the quality of life which are better. But is is not like coming for a holiday. If you work sometimes the hours are longer than in the UK, the average Spanish wage here is under 1000 Euros per month. Supermarkets are more expensive than the UK, Internet & mobile bills more expensive.

The red tape is awful and if you do not speak the language they treat you just like the English treat immigrants in the UK who arrive and do not speak the language.

It is not an easy move to make and for some people it is the worst thing they have ever done. The best way to leave Marbella with 1,000,000 in the bank is arrive with 100,000,000

Like 0      
03 Apr 2013 4:23 PM by DaveLynn Star rating in Walsall, West Midlan.... 5 posts Send private message

DaveLynn´s avatar

Ok I take these points, a huge incentive to make the move is that they (the government, or whoever is in control!) just make it that little bit harder to make a life and I am at a point where, I am living to work and not the other way round! Everything goes up and I would just like a simple life and be able to enjoy my family and my life. It is true that this is common situation globally, but when you read about hundreds of thousands of UK citizens ditching good ole blighty for a better life abroad, it seems a very enticing option. 

So much to think about and research....

I fear that I am suffering from " the grass is greener....." syndrome, which is definitely the wrong reason to make any move!

Thanks for the advice, I will keep on researching.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2013 4:34 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Get some language under your belt would be my strong suggestion. You mention that you plan to get some basic proficiency - remember it all sounds very different (and faster!)here than it does on the tapes! You really do need a good grasp of the grammar if you plan to work, as you DO need to know the difference between something that happened, something that is happening, and something that is going to happen. That's more learning than folks who just need to point and grunt in shops.

However, negatives aside, there are plenty of people here who definitely feel it was a great thing to have done, life definitely CAN be significantly cheaper than the UK if you eat and shop where the locals shop and use local tradespeople rather than some expat who has re-invented himself as a plumber or satellite dish engineer and charges the Brits excessively because many of them can't speak to the cheap local Spanish trader.

There was a thread on here which set out a basic budget really clearly, and the consensus was that you can live really comfortably for under 1000 euros per month including rent or mortgage.

I think the most important question regarding where to live is not so much the geography but they STYLE of living. Know yourselves, and decide whether you want the villa or farmhouse in the campo, the beachside apartment, an "urbanisation" (a community with a President and a monthly charge for communal services), or a village / town amongst mostly Spanish people. There are pluses and minuses to all of those. For me, knowing which of those you want is the crucial first step, then exactly where matters much less.

Good luck - I hope you make it happen! Renting is a doddle, there are millions of places and prices are low just now.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
03 Apr 2013 4:45 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

One of the  important things is, that when you register on the foreigners register you have to prove that you can support yourself and your family. I don't know how old you are? retiring early? when you are a pensioner you have a specific amount to live on,  and you can rely on it, so perhaps it's easier.Of course, if you are very wealthy thats one big problem out of the Way!

Some out here live under the radar and are quite happy to ignore their liabilities  so for them it is less stressful,but those trying to live legally seem to spend their life trying to get everything sorted.  Some like to spend their days boozing and their evenings at karaoke, so they are quite relaxed and if that's what they want, thats fine for them but you sound as if you would like to spend your days doing something interesting as well as just relaxing, so perhaps charity work, or running groups is for you, if you don't need an income.

Yes, they do leave good old Blighty, but some wish they hadn't and it's hard to sell a house and go back.

I'm sure you'll find the answer-why not just rent for a few months , research it all and consider everything.It's not a quick or easy decision

Tmaraessex-its interesting you comment on buying Spanish to reduce costs, when davijrowe is married to a Spanish lady and comments how expensive it is in Spain!

This message was last edited by camposol on 03/04/2013.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2013 4:52 PM by steve and anita Star rating in in San Cayetano. 324 posts Send private message

steve and anita´s avatar

Work here in Spain is very very difficult to find. I was employed and on full contract until my boss started to not pay his staff, this was 2 months ago and still no money has come forward, i walked out a month ago and threatend him with legal action, still no money, so now we are in the difficult situation of having very little money to live on and have to soon make the move back to the UK. Have heard this from many people lately, not being paid, I thought I was lucky having an English boss, how wrong I was. You cannot live on sunshine alone.

Regards,

Like 0      
03 Apr 2013 4:55 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

"The red tape is awful and if you do not speak the language they treat you just like the English treat immigrants in the UK who arrive and do not speak the language."

I am glad to hear that.....!! i am off to the benefits office for my free,house car and annual £26,000 salary...!!!

On the original posting...

Dont bring your son please...he will have no hope of getting into college here or gaining employment.

I would say your chances of finding work are 1% at best.

The cats will cost you about 2-3k to transport.

I know the UK is an awful place to live but as least you have a support network over there,it can be painful here when you are on your uppers.

This is from someone who absolutely loves it here and has raised a family here and continue to do so but i have seen a lot of people fail due to inexperience and you will see a few posts to reflect this..once you are here if you dont like the lifestyle its hard to get out.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2013 4:57 PM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

just do it

sure there is no work and stuff but life is too short to worry

just make sure you have 50 or 60k in the bank to cover you for the first year

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
03 Apr 2013 6:07 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

If everything so far (all of which I totally agree with) hasn't put you off, please do ensure you have you cats fully vaccinated against FIV (feline HIV); it is rife here, and there's a huge feral population. If your cats ever go out of the house, it's not the language barrier they need to worry about. 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
03 Apr 2013 7:19 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Your quality of life would be improved IF you had sufficient finances ( 2,000 euros a month minimum to include renting and health care)and didn't need to work. Otherwise you are better off in UK.
Although there are many many good things about Spain finding employment even for the Spanish is not one of them.
Am sure once the British weather improves you will feel happier to stay insitu.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Communication with clients by Costa Luz Lawyers - 9 posts
housing shortage in malaga - 0 posts
Squatting - 11 posts
ANYBODY NEED ANYTHING BRINGING FROM UK TO SPAIN AROUND MAY 20TH - CAN BRING DOGS IF NEEDED - 0 posts
Building Costs Spain - 2 posts
Embargo on our house info please - 11 posts
European Ombudsman seminar "It's our Europe: Let's get active!" April 23rd 2013 - 3 posts
Crossing a line in the sand - 3 posts
Dorothy - 5 posts
Is it right Maria C refuses to speak to her client over negligence? - 21 posts
Apartments for Sale..La Condesa de Mijas - 6 posts
All Inclusive Cruise Valencia - 2 posts
For Sale Bookcase 3 piece suite and computer station with chair 1.3 dish - 1 posts
interlinking communities - 1 posts
non resident tax - 3 posts
driving lessons - 3 posts
bingo - 0 posts
Cyprus 60% haircut, about time too! - 24 posts
Walking in the Subbetica - 8 posts
Smart TV with built in Freesat - 2 posts
Tabacs location - 4 posts
The UKs freezing easter climate. Starting a rush to Spain - 2 posts
State schools Marbella - 1 posts
Bank of Spain, Official exchange rates for 2012 - 3 posts
shop licence in Mijas - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 47

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x