IBI After Selling

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Feb 2013 12:45 PM by deegeew Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

A friend of mine sold his apartment in Feb 2012, he paid all taxes due before moving back to the UK.  Sadly in January he died, his family have now received a bill from the Ayuntamiento for nearly €400, through the Inmobilliria he used to sell, asking for payment of IBI for the period  Jun - Oct  2012 which is after they sold.

As I am living in Spain have been trying to help out with this problem, the imobilliria said it has to be paid and to pay them, which I have no intention of doing, the Ayuntamiento said it should be paid, but nobody can tell my why, when the propery was sold.

Anyone esle had a similar problem with payment of IBI after the property has been sold.

Like 0      
21 Feb 2013 1:26 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Whoever owns the property on 1st January is responsible for the IBI for the coming year. The solicitor handling the sale on behalf of the buyers should have retained that sum to cover it.

Like 0      
21 Feb 2013 1:36 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

A friend of mine sold his apartment in Feb 2012, he paid all taxes due before moving back to the UK

But apparently he did not do so.

I  believe Bobaol is absolutely correct, however, just like in the UK it has been the ‘normal practice’ with the properties I  ( and my son also) have bought and sold for the bill to be proportioned for the period each has owned the property.

If the solicitor failed to make that stipulation in the contract then I guess the seller in this case is responsible. 

(I have said several times I have never used a solicitor in our transactions, so we have never relied on one to get it right)

I don’t know if you are aware that the seller is also responsible for paying the plus valir tax, unless that too has been modified in the contract.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 21/02/2013.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 21/02/2013.

Like 0      
21 Feb 2013 3:02 PM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

we have just sold our property in december 2012

and were told by our solicitor that it had to be completed before

the 1st of january or we would have had to pay the i.b.i. for 2013.

we also had to pay the plus valia tax. on the property.

coolyes

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Caravan Parking Place Wanted - 0 posts
legal 'larger style'taxis from AlicanteAirport to Torrevieja - 1 posts
British citizens in Spain urged to make correct use of European Health Insurance Cards (EHICs) - 10 posts
The UK Mortgage rates might help your Spanish property dream. - 2 posts
Infant Schooling here in Spain - 2 posts
El COTO VERA - 1 posts
BBC 2 HD on it's way to satellite - 0 posts
Changes to Eutelsat 28A UK & English TV Costa Blanca & Calida - 0 posts
Car Hire Spain.. Whens the best time to book ? - 2 posts
Southern Spain - 2 posts
IBERIAN AIRLINE STRIKES - 1 posts
Astra 2E & 2G - upcoming UK satellite TV changes. - 1 posts
Legal tip 901. Grazalema-- our family hometown--mentioned among best in Spain by FT - 0 posts
Lecture on New Foreign Laws - 0 posts
What is the best thing for damp ? - 9 posts
Looking for King Billy! - 1 posts
Job available in Valencia - no replies so far! - 0 posts
Expats from Jersey - 1 posts
travel insurance from spain to usa for short trip - 8 posts
new taxation - what are the penalties if your overseas assets are under 50K? - 30 posts
Moving On - 9 posts
Pool Fencing Regulations - 9 posts
Tax on property when sold - 16 posts
Bank Account charges - 9 posts
Water bill - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x