British citizens in Spain urged to make correct use of European Health Insurance Cards (EHICs)

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Feb 2013 1:49 PM by UKinSpain Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

A campaign to explain how British citizens in Spain should use UK-issued European Health Insurance Cards (EHICs) has been launched by the UK Department of Health and the Valencia Health Authority.

The EHIC Campaign aims to greatly raise awareness among British citizens and Spanish healthcare staff in the Valencia Autonomous Community over the next 15 months. The innovative partnership between  a UK government department and a Spanish regional authority has been recognised by the European Union, which is  funding  the campaign.

Launching the campaign in Alicante, David Pennington, Head of the Department of Health’s International Healthcare team, said:

“Many British citizens living in Spain are confused about how to access state healthcare and many use their EHIC cards when they should be accessing healthcare in another way. This campaign explains who can use a UK-issued EHIC and what it’s for. It also tells people about other ways to access state healthcare in Spain, depending on their circumstances.”

What you should know about the UK European Health Insurance Card

The UK European Health Insurance Card should only be used to access medically-necessary state treatment during the course of a temporary stay in Spain. It does not provide access to all state treatment but for those in Spain on a temporary stay, it is the correct way to access state healthcare.

However British citizens who live mainly in Spain should change the way they are registered, because for them the UK European Health Insurance Card is not the correct form of health cover. The new EHIC marketing and advertising campaign will explain how to do this.

The campaign will also explain to the administrative staff of the Valencia Health Authority how the UK covers its citizens in Spain and how the UK reimburses Spain for the cost of medical care provided to British citizens.

British citizens can find comprehensive information on the use of EHICs at the healthcareinspain site.  An extensive radio and newspaper advertising campaign will further promote the correct use of EHICs, and leaflets will be distributed through health centres and at public events.

There will be 18 public talks, starting in Denia on 27th February and in Orihuela Costa on 28th February. More details can be found on the healthcareinspain website.

Some two million British tourists visit the Valencia region every year and there are an estimated 300,000 British residents in the region, some 40% of the total in Spain. Although the campaign is centered on Valencia, much of the information is relevant to British citizens across Spain.

Like 0      
20 Feb 2013 2:49 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Might be a good idea to provide a link for the "healthcareinspain website" 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
20 Feb 2013 2:55 PM by UKinSpain Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

Hello Roberto,

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately the site does not permit the inclusion of website addresses in postings, so we had to modify our message in order to comply with this rule. Hopefully, readers will be able to find the site by googling healthcareinspain.eu

Like 0      
20 Feb 2013 3:06 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

That's the link then (there's always a way). Googling just healthcareinspain won't help (need a bit more SEO!) I tried healthcareinspain.com, but that's not your site either. 

I think I'm allowed: http://healthcareinspain.eu/

After all, it's not a commercial post, it's public interest. 

This message was last edited by Roberto on 20/02/2013.

This message was last edited by Roberto on 20/02/2013.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
20 Feb 2013 3:37 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Hi Roberto
                    I just typed -----     healthcareinspain.eu -------  in the address bar,  and it took me straight to the web page.

I cannot imagine EOS will be concerned about a Government web site address being posted.

Like 0      
20 Feb 2013 3:38 PM by pommers Star rating in Almoradi, Spain. 606 posts Send private message

pommers´s avatar

Thanks for this. I'll sede you at one of the meetings

Like 0      
20 Feb 2013 3:48 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

John, how clever of you. Presumably you instinctively knew the domain extension then? Of course, you could have just clicked the link I posted.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
20 Feb 2013 3:59 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Roberto,
                                Of course, you could have just clicked the link I posted.

Thanks for your accolade (but we know it was not really that clever !!! ).

I did the search before you posted it, but in any case,  I already knew the web address, it was to ‘test’ my guess that it would go to the site anyway.

Like 0      
20 Feb 2013 6:58 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

" The campaign will look to inform British nationals in Spain about the correct way to use the European Health Insurance Card ('EHIC') "

jointly funded by the Uk dept. of Health & the Valencian health authority.

Only one problem with all this is that everyone in Valencia will know what is what. All the other regions will ignore it , like Andalucia where when you show a Valencian health card whilst working away they tell you that it is not acceptable & you need an EHIC to be treated in Andalucia. You have no hope .

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
20 Feb 2013 7:07 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Must admit I was thinking along the same lines - the British public, resident or tourists, generally know what's what (although not necessarily obeying the rules) - it's the Spanish authorities that need educating the most.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
20 Feb 2013 10:45 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

I have private medical insurance and a state health card but I still carry a valid EHIC in my wallet.

If I collapse on the streets of Mijas Costa with a heart attack and the medicos go through my wallet they can use what ever they like.

Belt and Braces spring to mind

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

The UK Mortgage rates might help your Spanish property dream. - 2 posts
Infant Schooling here in Spain - 2 posts
El COTO VERA - 1 posts
BBC 2 HD on it's way to satellite - 0 posts
Changes to Eutelsat 28A UK & English TV Costa Blanca & Calida - 0 posts
Car Hire Spain.. Whens the best time to book ? - 2 posts
Southern Spain - 2 posts
IBERIAN AIRLINE STRIKES - 1 posts
Astra 2E & 2G - upcoming UK satellite TV changes. - 1 posts
Legal tip 901. Grazalema-- our family hometown--mentioned among best in Spain by FT - 0 posts
Lecture on New Foreign Laws - 0 posts
What is the best thing for damp ? - 9 posts
Looking for King Billy! - 1 posts
Job available in Valencia - no replies so far! - 0 posts
Expats from Jersey - 1 posts
travel insurance from spain to usa for short trip - 8 posts
new taxation - what are the penalties if your overseas assets are under 50K? - 30 posts
Moving On - 9 posts
Pool Fencing Regulations - 9 posts
Tax on property when sold - 16 posts
Bank Account charges - 9 posts
Water bill - 12 posts
Storage Wanted - 0 posts
Jet Boat For Sale, Winter Bargain - 0 posts
Lloyds Bank International - Free Global Travel Insurance..... - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x