Turkey "tips" please!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Dec 2012 6:54 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

Hi everyone, Chistmas is soon upon us and I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on browning a turkey. I have a standard oven (no fan) and I do cook a fantastic succulent turkey year after year but I never seem to be able to brown it enough and get that lovely golden colour without drying out the breast. I normally wrap my turkey in tin foil and unwrap it for the last 45 min, it gets a light golden colour  but not that lovely deep golden colour. Any tips??

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
03 Dec 2012 11:02 AM by Cove Robert Star rating. 214 posts Send private message

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/turkey-in-a-bag/

Enjoy!

Like 0      
03 Dec 2012 12:45 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

Thanks for that.

I use oven backs all the time for chickens but haven't been able to find them big enough for turkeys.

Any ideas where I can get them?

Like 0      
03 Dec 2012 1:15 PM by Cove Robert Star rating. 214 posts Send private message

If you can not find them in your area try these sites.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/bags_foils_and_wraps/baco_giant_sized_turkey_roasting_bags_2.html

http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/info_page/FAQs_Turkey.asp

Alternatively, but this might be equally problematic re size, try using some kind of roasting dish with a lid. Plenty of basting and the bird should be fine.

Like 0      
03 Dec 2012 3:26 PM by elviriadreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

elviriadreamer´s avatar

Hi Mac

This is how I get a "Golden Bird".

Clean and prepare as usual. Stuff as usual but add 1/2 satsumas and 1/2 onions in opposite end to retain moisture. Baste with goose fat (only use this) and leave for one hour to "sink in".

Cover with foil and place in oven on Christmas eve to cook on low overnight.

In the morning remove foil, turn up oven and baste with pan juices every 30/40 minutes until ready to remove AND EAT FOR THE NEXT GOODNESS KNOWS HOW MANY DAYS!

A little cheat if needed...mix a little warm honey and chicken granules to a fine paste and smear all over for the last 30/45 mins for a golden brown look.

HAPPY EATING  :) 

Like 0      
03 Dec 2012 11:31 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

Thanks for the tips! 

Like 0      
04 Dec 2012 9:08 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
So Mac, all round to your place Christmas Eve then? :-)

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
04 Dec 2012 11:34 AM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

Something like that. Every year its the same! Everyone round for the big Christmas lunch! Turkey, stuffing and all the trimming!

The Spanish love it aswell!

Like 0      
04 Dec 2012 9:41 PM by ElviriaDreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

ElviriaDreamer´s avatar

If a man called Mr Schlund turns up for dinner Mac, make sure you put drawing pins on his seat before he sits down to eat!

Eternally Grateful  :)

Like 0      
05 Dec 2012 12:11 AM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

Understood! :)  

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Is property crime one of the motives for moving back home? - 24 posts
buying good quality sofa bed in the santa pola area - 1 posts
Humax Foxsat-HDR - 3 posts
Loss of TV channels - 16 posts
is football becoming more popular or less popular in spain these years? - 5 posts
Property Reforms in Granada - 0 posts
Of Coefficients and expense allocations ~ HELP! - 1 posts
El Tayo, Los Palacios, Formentera del Segura - 3 posts
Beware Valencia-Holiday security deposit scam - 2 posts
Should Estate Agents in Spain be Regulated ??? - 4 posts
Astra 2F - change over from 1N - Initial transponder list - 31 posts
Orange Gas Bottle = Mijas Costa - 3 posts
Recovery of costs - 3 posts
Spanish Title Deeds Insurance - 3 posts
Help? - 2 posts
licences and taxes for growing veg on own land - 0 posts
80% OF ALL JOBS ARE NOT ADVERTISED IN SPAIN - 1 posts
Watching UK TV in Spain - 41 posts
Couching - 0 posts
Cats on Complex - 2 posts
Free Language Exchange Anyone? - 0 posts
Capital Gains tax - 0 posts
agm agenda - 4 posts
EX18 Form - 0 posts
Endesagas - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x