Loss of TV channels

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Dec 2012 4:22 PM by jinxy Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

Hi, I live in Manilva and have a Humax Foxsat-HDR but when I switched on today I was confronted with a message on the screen SEARCHING FOR NEW CHANNELS AND SOFTWARE UPDATE - this has been on the screen for several hours and I cannot get rid. If I turn off and then back on it appears again..... consequently no tv to watch. Does anyone have any idea on how to resolve this situation? Hope someone out there can help. 

Like 0      
05 Dec 2012 1:57 PM by crisco Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

There is a new satellite Astra 2F that is coming online. It has a tighter footprint for UK Freesat and Sky channels. This means you will need a larger dish or/and possible realignment. Not all channels have been moved or will be moved.  Expect a lot of complaints ! I have lost Channel 4HD and 5*  Waiting to see if more go. Live in Malaga .

Like 0      
05 Dec 2012 2:55 PM by davejberry Star rating in Lloret de Mar, Catal.... 2 posts Send private message

Hi guys, I'm a new member today, found this forum when I googled loss of freesat.

Living 50km north of Barcelona and have had great reception on an 80cm dish until yesterday. I never even suffered from loss in the evenings like some do. As of yesterday however, I have lost the channel 5 boquet. i only watch in SD. Looking for more info when or if more channels are gonna move from 1N to 2F as my dish is four floors above me on the roof and I may need special permission if anything much bigger than a 1.2m dish is needed.

Like 0      
05 Dec 2012 3:28 PM by jinxy Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

Hi, don´t know what on earth is happening but after being without any programmes for several hours I decided to switch on and lo and behold all the programmes had come back AND with a better picture than I had had for ages. Just hope that the situation does not go back again. Good luck with yours.

Like 0      
05 Dec 2012 5:55 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

For no reason we have suddenly lost ITV1 (but not ITV+1) and Channel 5 and 5+1. 

Like 0      
05 Dec 2012 5:58 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
See this other ongoing thread which explains it all .....

http://www.eyeonspain.com/forums/posts-long-17041.aspx

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
05 Dec 2012 5:59 PM by Keith28 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

I also live in Manilva and have lost the entire suite of Channel 5 freeview channels (5*, 5 USA, etc) as of yesterday. I've tried rescanning and a software update on the box but no change. All other freeview channels on my list are OK. Not sure the size of the dish but it is a community one and looks pretty big.

Any suggestions or help much appreciated

Like 0      
05 Dec 2012 6:00 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar

See this other ongoing thread which explains it all .....

http://www.eyeonspain.com/forums/posts-long-17041.aspx

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
06 Dec 2012 1:41 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

The OPs problem was nothing to do with the new satelite - as Freesat data is not on any of the Astra satellites!

I've tried rescanning and a software update on the box but no change

Scanning and software updte will make no difference. The channels are still on the same frequencies, but have moved satellites. It simply means your dish isnow too small to receive these signals.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
06 Dec 2012 5:00 PM by crisco Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Channel 4 is a UK Broadcaster and as such, we only have the rights to broadcast our channels in the UK and some of our digital channels in the Republic of Ireland. If you have been receiving our channels outside of these areas, then you have been receiving what is called 'gratuitous reception'. As we purchase the rights to show programmes within this geographic area only, it has been necessary to tighten our broadcast footprint which would be why you can no longer receive our channels.

Regards,

Sandra Carter
Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries

Like 0      
06 Dec 2012 5:11 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Dear Sat&PCguy - don't forget that we don't always use the right words! Many of us call it freesat because that's what it says on the box we bought, and because that's what the shop assistant called it, even if it technically isn't! I think we're using it incorrectly as a generic term for TV we get free through a satellite dish.

Like 0      
06 Dec 2012 6:24 PM by Keith28 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

So, we now need a bigger dish just to get back what we had before. If you cut to the chase, it's just another case of 'new technology' forcing us to buy new kit when the stuff we had before worked fine. And why bother thinking up a new scam when the tried and tested one still works so well...?

Regarding the response from Channel 4, I'd be surprised if their advertisers (who pay their wages after all) would want to encourage them to cut down the number of potential viewers of their programmes, wherever they may live.

Like 0      
07 Dec 2012 10:49 AM by El alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

Hi. this is copied from an email that I received from the engineer that looks after my system in the Costa Calida.

All TV stations now moved, Satellite in new position all seems to be OK at your place and reception of all main stations on 1m dish. 

Looks like Costa del Sol have lost out, may require 2m + dishes whereas before only 1m required.

Like 0      
07 Dec 2012 11:25 AM by crisco Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

I was curious as to why the TV companies have allowed this to happen. According to Channel 5 it is because the TV programs they broadcast have only been licenced to be shown in the UK As technology advances the satellite are more directional. Ch5 says expect more channels to be lost next year. So it looks like we have to hide our ip to watch on demand or use p2p and filmon.com etc.

Like 0      
07 Dec 2012 6:14 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

All TV stations now moved

No they have not. Only 5 out of the many frequencies have moved.

There are still 15plus frequencies to be moved from Astra 1N to a new satellite, and all those on Astra 2a and 2b to move to new satellite. Gieven the last new satellite is scgheduled for launch in early 2014, recepion changes will continue for a while yet.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
07 Dec 2012 10:18 PM by sean96c Star rating. 60 posts Send private message

Anybody familiar with the term "signal leakage"

If you are, any ideas on how to fix it?

Like 0      
09 Dec 2012 9:02 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

in laymans terms, signal leakage is where other signals leak into a cable and disrupt the cables signals.

One example is DECT / wireless phones. Some of the use a signal that is the sam eas some satellite frequencies - and so if the dect phone is located near the cable, then it can disrupt some channels. This is one reason why a year or so ago, channels like rue Movies had to change satellite frequenices, as they were prone to interferance from phones.

One solution is to locate the interferance and reduce it.

Another is to get better quality high sheilding cable. From what I understand, some of the cheaper "aluminium" cable is less sheilded than higher quality copper sheilded cable. Also cable using foil rather than braided cable helps. And check the connections at either end of the cable to make sure they are done correectly, and protected from weather elements

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

is football becoming more popular or less popular in spain these years? - 5 posts
Property Reforms in Granada - 0 posts
Of Coefficients and expense allocations ~ HELP! - 1 posts
El Tayo, Los Palacios, Formentera del Segura - 3 posts
Beware Valencia-Holiday security deposit scam - 2 posts
Should Estate Agents in Spain be Regulated ??? - 4 posts
Astra 2F - change over from 1N - Initial transponder list - 31 posts
Orange Gas Bottle = Mijas Costa - 3 posts
Recovery of costs - 3 posts
Spanish Title Deeds Insurance - 3 posts
Help? - 2 posts
licences and taxes for growing veg on own land - 0 posts
80% OF ALL JOBS ARE NOT ADVERTISED IN SPAIN - 1 posts
Watching UK TV in Spain - 41 posts
Couching - 0 posts
Cats on Complex - 2 posts
Free Language Exchange Anyone? - 0 posts
Capital Gains tax - 0 posts
agm agenda - 4 posts
EX18 Form - 0 posts
Endesagas - 0 posts
Visiting the UK - 18 posts
Pramount update - 3 posts
Contact lenses Quesada? - 2 posts
Anyone know a good gestor in Motril/Salobreña? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x