Advertising

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Aug 2012 9:37 AM by Lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

Lifeline´s avatar

Why do some  of the items that I have been researching appear on the EOS screen now?

For example, I was researching companies to buy loose tea on-line and this appeared the following day.

Would it still happen if I log in and out every time?

Are they only appearing on MY screen?

Daveil

Like 0      
17 Aug 2012 10:07 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Not a hundred`percent sure how it works, but we are all tracked when we are on a browser, web site etc, and every computer has its unique ID, so when you go to a web site that’s why you start getting info about the subject you searched on or area where you live. Like dating sites where all the girls/men come from your area.

Not magic but tracking.

No one is really anonymous, even with those sites which offer ‘anonymous searching’  believe me.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2012 10:37 AM by Abyss_Rover Star rating in Mallorca. 72 posts Send private message

I agree with johnzx. I believe it's google advertising, that many web sites use to generate income. Portions of the screen are dedicated to google advert, that are selected dependant on your recent or previous searches.

The new European privacy laws are set to change the way this is done and other forms of tracking. I'm not sure if this will stop it all together but I think it will cause a bit of a stir.

Personally I find it annoying and I have found that there are various "ad blockers" that can stop a lot of it. I have the old fashioned attitude, that a forum is for chatting, a flight booking site is for booking flights and an advertising site is for advertising. I guess the next thing will be tv adverts based on what you're thinking?

This message was last edited by Abyss_Rover on 17/08/2012.

www.finditfme.com The new, advanced way to find what you are looking for.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2012 11:09 AM by patman Star rating in Chester and Los Alca.... 84 posts Send private message

patman´s avatar

You can stop or limit ads by using the Ads Preference Manager. (Google for it) , or you can remove all your cookies.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2012 12:43 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The point I was making is that one cannot surf anonymously even with the programs which claim to ‘hide your ID’

I was barred from a forum (because I had the temerity to disagree with  a couple of guys who were in the clique and the others then ganged up).  Anyway, I signed back in using a program claimed to hide who I was (it works fine for Iplayer etc) but the forum site discovered who I was and barred me again.  I tried a number of tricks but they found me each time.   Even when I did so from another country when I was on holiday.

(I am signed back in now, but on a new laptop, which they cannot connect with me. And I don’t disagree with the ‘inner circle’ ).

As I said, none of us can be really  anonymous .

Like 0      
17 Aug 2012 2:02 PM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

John, don't these programs hide your IP, not your ID? Which is why the forum admin still knew who you were, and now don't as you have a new laptop.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2012 2:13 PM by patman Star rating in Chester and Los Alca.... 84 posts Send private message

patman´s avatar

Normally the IP address on a pc surfiing the web is not fixed. It is allocated by the internet service provider at the time of access. Cookies are often used for identification.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2012 8:10 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Each time you visit a website, a "cookie" is left on your PC recording what type of content you have been browsing. It doesn't know who you are. Google will then use the context of the sites you have been viewing to target advertising based on your supposed interests. For example, earlier on I logged into my bank account - now the ads on EOS are mostly for financial products and services. If I visit a different site now, chances are the ads I see may have something to do with Spain. The idea is that you, the user, will have a more relevant browsing experience, the advertiser is therefore more likely to get people clicking on their ads because they are hopefully based on the stuff you're interested in, so the advertiser will get a better return on his investment, and be more inclined to spend more on Google advertising, as well as the host (in this case EOS) making more (they get a share of the money Google get from the advertiser) enabling them to maintain the quality of the (free) content the user enjoys, and Google will make more money! It's supposed to be a win win situation, with the user, advertiser, host and of course Google all benefiting. If you would prefer to see ads that are totally irrelevant to you, just clear your browser cookies every time you start (or finish) your session, although I don't really see why it should be annoying to see ads about things that you have already shown an interest in. You can learn more here: http://tinyurl.com/c5v6dqc

"I guess the next thing will be tv adverts based on what you're thinking" - well, maybe not what you're thinking, but TV ads are also targeted to their audience - ads for energy drinks while you're watching the soccer, for example, and if you have a SKY subscription through a UK address, you surely must have noticed at some point ads for businesses that are based in your UK region? A furniture warehouse in Warrington isn't going to gain much by advertising to someone who (according to SKY's information) is watching in Brighton, after all. Targeted advertising is nothing new, it's just that it's far more sophisticated online.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
17 Aug 2012 10:04 PM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

Apologies, I wasn't clear enough in my previous post. When I talk about ID and  'who you were', I mean the unique computer ID, not that they know your actual identity.

Like 0      
27 Sep 2012 6:52 PM by natalia1930 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Spam **

Like 0      
27 Sep 2012 7:13 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

A computer has a unique serial number, that can be traced.  That is why, although I changed my ID and even used programs to hide my actual IP, they still knew who I was-.

I am still pstig on that forum but I am usig a new PC

It rather like to police. I have  friend who traces cases of on-line child abuse. They have no problems ID'ing the posters, no matter what efforts that take to hide.

Like 0      
27 Sep 2012 7:28 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I assume the point of your post, John, is that the EOS hit squad will track down Natalia1930 and eliminate her? 

Even if she is not just a scammer and is actually working directly for Liberty, which I doubt, spamming a forum like this shows an astonishing lack of business sense - it just destroys any semblance of credibility that she may have had previously. I expect the moderators will remove all her posts fairly soon, and this post won't make any sense to anyone reading it afterwards!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Sep 2012 7:34 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I was replying to an earlier post, which was in reply to  an even earlier one of mine

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Post Purchase Checks - 0 posts
Help needed with Blog editing - 5 posts
Copy of E mail from Flybe about UK Aviation Taxes... - 2 posts
Change of statute - 6 posts
Will they take the gamble - 2 posts
Sunglasses and driving. - 35 posts
Where should tax be paid UK or Spain ? - 14 posts
Wanted Long term rental in Turre - 0 posts
child seating on coaches - 1 posts
Upholster for foam - 2 posts
Secure storage space wanted - 1 posts
Hi from manilva - 0 posts
Please help the Bees - 0 posts
Community fee penalties - 3 posts
Changing car documents - 9 posts
Changing name of car documents - 2 posts
Iwant to swap my 3 bed semi in Bridgend S Wales for an apartment near Estepona - 0 posts
Beware when selling your car in Spain. - 0 posts
Bobbie - 1 posts
Movifresh - 1 posts
Yet another thread hijacked by the "hard done by" generation!!! - 6 posts
What does Europe need to sort out this mess? - 27 posts
Credit card PINs - 19 posts
Everything I should know, when buying a car in Spain. - 6 posts
air source heat pumps and alternative energy sources - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x