Change of statute

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Aug 2012 12:00 PM by gitana Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

At our latest AGM the vice president proposed to adopt a statute in the constitution prohibiting rental tenants from housing pets. It was proposed that the community does not become a home for rental owners who have pets and that any tenant renting property is excluded from housing any form of pet.

Surely this is discrimination against tenants...and what is the difference between a property owner having a pet and a tenant?  Surely it is up to the individual owner's discretion on allowing their tenant to have a pet.  As far as I am aware this cannot be applied and that property owners and tenants cannot be treated differently.

Could someone please point me in the right direction to determine if this is legal or not.

Like 0      
18 Aug 2012 11:19 PM by Jacksonsadmin Star rating in Marbella , Malaga. 78 posts Send private message

Hello Gitana;  

Firstly the tenant inherits the rights of the owner by way of written contract.The community officers may ask for written consent from the owner from time to time when faced with requests from the tenant. Hence the ammendment sort at the meeting was flawed.

Secondly it is difficult to ammend & introduce new statutes in communities as unanimity is required in the voting.Did this occur at your meeting? Most statutes are created at the incorporation point of the community for this reason.

I enclose below the relevent clause of the LPH which applies.

Section 17
The resolutions of the owners’ general assembly shall be subject to the following rules:
First.
Unanimity shall only be required for the validity of those resolutions involving the approval or
amendment of the rules contained in the master deed or in the community statutes.

I hope this helps.

F.Parkinson. Jacksons Administradores SL

f.parkinson @ jacksonsadministradoressl.es www.jacksons-group.com

Like 0      
18 Aug 2012 11:59 PM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

Vey interesting F.Parkinson.

This is precisely the situation my friend is in, Owners are allowed dogs, but not in the communal areas. But they banned tenants from having dogs - her tenants arrived with a tiny dog without telling her.

So, provided there was 'unanimity' at the vote, it's OK for the community to enforce the 'no dogs for tenants' rule?

Like 0      
19 Aug 2012 12:11 AM by Jacksonsadmin Star rating in Marbella , Malaga. 78 posts Send private message

Hello Aly ; Whilst the community may have fulfilled their requirements of  the LPH with regard to statutes in the voting if unanimity was present ; it does not change the tenant's rights of inheritance of the owner's rights who is the community member. IE if the owners can have a dog but not in communal areas then so can the tenant as they have the use of the owners rights.

Hence the flaw in the ammendment voted on. 

I hope this explains it.

Regards 

F.Parkinson Jacksons Administradores SL

f.parkinson @ jacksonsadministradoressl.es www.jacksons-group.com

Like 0      
19 Aug 2012 12:35 AM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

Thank you very much. Something else we will be discussing with the administrators!

Like 0      
20 Aug 2012 11:21 AM by DMS Star rating in Spain. 27 posts Send private message

DMS´s avatar

Basically, the overiding factor is the Law, so any statutes must be lawful. It doesn't matter how many people in a community vote for something, if it is against the law then it cannot be applied. So the in the case of domestic animals, it is against the law to prohibit them inside a property.

Like 0      
20 Aug 2012 2:05 PM by gitana Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

Thank you so much to all the people who have replied and assisted me with this problem.  It appears that some communities are applying rules and regulations at whim even though they may have checked things out with their administrators.  Apparently the administrators for our community do not see anything wrong in treating property owners and tenants differently.  In most cases, property owners and tenants do not know their rights and are unsure how to ascertain the legalities of them. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Will they take the gamble - 2 posts
Sunglasses and driving. - 35 posts
Where should tax be paid UK or Spain ? - 14 posts
Wanted Long term rental in Turre - 0 posts
child seating on coaches - 1 posts
Upholster for foam - 2 posts
Secure storage space wanted - 1 posts
Hi from manilva - 0 posts
Please help the Bees - 0 posts
Community fee penalties - 3 posts
Changing car documents - 9 posts
Changing name of car documents - 2 posts
Iwant to swap my 3 bed semi in Bridgend S Wales for an apartment near Estepona - 0 posts
Beware when selling your car in Spain. - 0 posts
Bobbie - 1 posts
Movifresh - 1 posts
Yet another thread hijacked by the "hard done by" generation!!! - 6 posts
What does Europe need to sort out this mess? - 27 posts
Credit card PINs - 19 posts
Everything I should know, when buying a car in Spain. - 6 posts
air source heat pumps and alternative energy sources - 1 posts
Health advise - do you need health advise - 0 posts
LOOKING FOR 5 MONTHS RENTAL IN MOJACAR PLAYA - 0 posts
SLINGBOX TV CONTROLLER. - 1 posts
I'm looking for spanish car left hand drive - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x