Sunglasses and driving.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Aug 2012 10:20 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

When I wanted permanently tinted bi-focal 'sunglasses,'  I could not have them as dark as I wanted as the optician said the amount of tint permitted for drivers,  is controlled by law.

This probable arose because SpecSavers ´light reactive’ lenses do not work behind a windscreen, or at least that was what they said when I complained that they were not going sufficiently dark,     I thus have two pairs,  one reactive the other permanently tinted.

Like 0      
16 Aug 2012 11:01 AM by prospain Star rating in Spain & Hong Kong. 38 posts Send private message

prospain´s avatar

Well that’s great. Problem solved then. Is this a Spain thing only? Or is it Eye On Everywhere?

Like 0      
16 Aug 2012 11:04 AM by mobailey Star rating in San Cayetano. 461 posts Send private message

mobailey´s avatar

The reactolite lenses sold in the UK do not react the same undere the stronger light in Spain as they do in the UK but I don,t know why, was just told this by specsavers in the UK.  The best type of sunglasses for driving are Polarized  as they cut out the glare from the sun on other surfaces around you, we changed to them recently and have ceretainly see a difference.  This was on the recommendation of a Spanish Optician.

This message was last edited by mobailey on 16/08/2012.

Mo&Bryan www.bryansblinds.com &  www.discovercostacalida.info Why not see if can we help  

Like 0      
16 Aug 2012 1:17 PM by theequaliser Star rating in Spain. 26 posts Send private message

theequaliser´s avatar

I recently got a ticket in Alicante for my sunglasses being more then 1/4 inch thick on the sides. I've never heard of this law and was wondering if I have a case against the sun glass manufacturer. They should put a warning in all their boxes stating that it is illegal to wear their product while driving in Spain. This ticket is considered a moving traffic violation and will take points of my driving license and make my insurance increase.

Like 0      
16 Aug 2012 1:23 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sorry if I did not make it clear that I was referring to Spain.

Having completed my profile I thought readers would realise that.

Like 0      
16 Aug 2012 6:49 PM by Abyss_Rover Star rating in Mallorca. 72 posts Send private message

I have never had any problems with my faithful Ray.Ban's. I wouldn't think of driving under the Spanish sun without them. In fact, they live in my car, not for walking in the street, only for driving.

Maybe those who need visual correction could ask if Ray.Ban offer this option?

www.finditfme.com The new, advanced way to find what you are looking for.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2012 9:05 AM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

Variable tint lenses are generally known as 'photo chromic' lenses and have the advantage of changing their colour density when exposed to UV light. UV causes a change in the lens's chemical structure. When the UV source fades, the lenses revert to their previously clear state. While these lenses are ideal for general wear, they are not suitable for driving because Spanish car windscreens filter out UV light and therefore slow down and limit the reaction of the photo chromic lenses. You could find yourself driving with lenses too dark or too light for the prevailing conditions. To overcome these problems several manufacturers have produced lenses which can also be made to your prescription which adapt to the varying light conditions when driving. A Spanish optician will guide you to the best option for your needs.

Drivers can be ticketed for second-degree negligent driving when they are engaged in an activity that “operates a motor vehicle in a manner that is both negligent and endangers or is likely to endanger any person or property,” according to the law in most countries.

Although Al Pacino did not get a ticket in ‘’Scent of a Woman’’. It could all be down to luck.

al pacino

Like 0      
17 Aug 2012 11:20 AM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

Let's complicate this further.

I have two pairs of prescription glasses, one pair that react to light, and the other that are 'sunglasses'. Both pairs dispensed by Specsavers Uk. (I also have an old light reactive pair from Specsavers Spain, that I keep in the car).

The Spanish plated car that I drive originally came from Germany - so will the windscreen be filtering out the UV light? And what about the windscreens of cars imported by ex-pat Brits?

Like 0      
17 Aug 2012 11:26 AM by Abyss_Rover Star rating in Mallorca. 72 posts Send private message

This should be interesting

This message was last edited by Abyss_Rover on 17/08/2012.

www.finditfme.com The new, advanced way to find what you are looking for.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2012 11:51 AM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

All modern cars going back quite a lot of years have windscreens filtering out the UV light as standard no matter which country they come from. No doubt someone on EOS will find a Morris 1,000 from Timbuktu that has not.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2012 11:54 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Very! I find it hard to believe that "Spanish" windscreens are any different from the vast majority of all windscreens. Whether or not the UV filtering qualities are what prevent reactive lenses darkening is questionable too. The lenses react to direct sunlight - unless you've got one of those windscreens that extend halfway along the roof, most of the time when you're driving, your face is actually in the shade, regardless of what you're looking at.

@Johnzx - if you hadn't mentioned to the optician what you wanted them for, you could have had them as dark as you like surely? (and with your connections, no danger of an Al Pacino moment, I'm sure) But you still would have need a non-tinted pair for night driving.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
17 Aug 2012 12:19 PM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

‘’! I find it hard to believe that "Spanish" windscreens are any different from the vast majority of all windscreens’’

They are not, whoever said they were?

Whether or not the UV filtering qualities are what prevent reactive lenses darkening is questionable too.

You should go do your homework and research before making made up comments.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2012 12:41 PM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

'because Spanish car windscreens filter out UV light '

From your earlier post potblack, which is why I asked if windscreens on cars from elsewhere were the same.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2012 12:44 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Just to add a little to the confusion. 

My wife has specs which were supplied in the Philippines, they work perfectly well in the car. 

SpecSavers were unable to explain that.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2012 7:05 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

@potblack:  You said: "....Spanish car windscreens filter out UV light", the clear implication being that others do not. I was obviously not the only one to interpret it that way - unfortunately, I posted my comment while you were clarifying your previous post. And I suggest if you are so sure of your research, you post links to unimpeachable sources before casting aspersions on my "made up comments".  

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Aug 2012 6:09 AM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

www.theaa.com/public_affairs/reports/driving-in-sunglasses.html

Whether or not the UV filtering qualities are what prevent reactive lenses darkening is questionable too.

So Roberto, where's your unimpeachable sources?

Like 0      
18 Aug 2012 1:35 PM by mobailey Star rating in San Cayetano. 461 posts Send private message

mobailey´s avatar

Take a look at   http://www.explainthatstuff.com/photochromiclenses.html

A related problem is that photochromic lenses don't always work effectively in cars, because windscreens naturally screen out most of the ultraviolet light. That means drivers really need a second pair of tinted or polarised sunglasses just for driving in.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windshield

Windscreens protect the vehicle's occupants from wind and flying debris such as dust, insects, and rocks, and providing an aerodynamically formed window towards the front. UV Coating may be applied to screen out harmful ultraviolet radiation. However, this is usually unnecessary since most auto glass is safety glass that has a Plexiglas coating to prevent shattering. Even if a small amount of UV-B were to be transmitted through the glass, it would be absorbed by the plastic.

hope this helps

Mo&Bryan www.bryansblinds.com &  www.discovercostacalida.info Why not see if can we help  

Like 0      
18 Aug 2012 7:13 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Potblack, if you remember, you're the one that rather insultingly told me to go do my homework and research, again the clear implication being that you had. I suggested that rather than criticising other's opinions, you back yours up. Now you have - very good, thank you, and I stand corrected. Now I respectfully suggest that you go do your homework and research in to how to be a little more polite. 

Mark Twain

Like 0      
19 Aug 2012 1:06 AM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

Potblack, I'm curious to know why you added 'Spanish' to your 'copy and paste' post? 

Like 0      
19 Aug 2012 6:12 AM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

Potblack, I'm curious to know why you added 'Spanish' to your 'copy and paste' post? 

Johnxz When I wanted permanently tinted bi-focal 'sunglasses,'  I could not have them as dark as I wanted as the optician said the amount of tint permitted for drivers,  is controlled by law.

I believed ‘’controlled by law’’ was referring in this instance to Spanish law.

I also assumed that by Johnxz profile he was referring to Spain.

This forum is EOS ‘’Eye on Spain’’ and not ‘’Eye on Somewhere’’.

No doubt someone on EOS will find a Morris 1,000 from Timbuktu that has not. I sought to steer clear of that possibility.

Also, do car windscreens filter out UV light, in Moscow, Kabul & Beijing? I have no idea and was not prepared to go to that intensity of research.

Roberto  Whether or not the UV filtering qualities are what prevent reactive lenses darkening is questionable too.

I suggested that rather than criticising other's opinions, you back yours up.

If you had posted ‘’in my opinion’’ it would have been more  suitable.  I still uphold your declaration in that format, was made up, and without any thought. Pointing out to other members that your statement was deceptive, imaginary and without legitimacy or verification was not ill-mannered. I was merely correcting a bogus statement for the benefit of everyone. Conceivably you made the statement because you were jaded and felt left out. With 3,317 posts to your name you should be superior and set examples to others.

eossupporter-trans

This message was last edited by potblack on 19/08/2012.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Where should tax be paid UK or Spain ? - 14 posts
Wanted Long term rental in Turre - 0 posts
child seating on coaches - 1 posts
Upholster for foam - 2 posts
Secure storage space wanted - 1 posts
Hi from manilva - 0 posts
Please help the Bees - 0 posts
Community fee penalties - 3 posts
Changing car documents - 9 posts
Changing name of car documents - 2 posts
Iwant to swap my 3 bed semi in Bridgend S Wales for an apartment near Estepona - 0 posts
Beware when selling your car in Spain. - 0 posts
Bobbie - 1 posts
Movifresh - 1 posts
Yet another thread hijacked by the "hard done by" generation!!! - 6 posts
What does Europe need to sort out this mess? - 27 posts
Credit card PINs - 19 posts
Everything I should know, when buying a car in Spain. - 6 posts
air source heat pumps and alternative energy sources - 1 posts
Health advise - do you need health advise - 0 posts
LOOKING FOR 5 MONTHS RENTAL IN MOJACAR PLAYA - 0 posts
SLINGBOX TV CONTROLLER. - 1 posts
I'm looking for spanish car left hand drive - 8 posts
LOOKING FOR A 2-WEEK RENTAL from 22nd September - 0 posts
fort collins property management companies - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 36

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x