Community fee penalties

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Aug 2012 12:25 PM by johnfrith Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Hello everyone. This is my first post. Hope everyone is well.

Just wondered if anyone had any advice on my situation. I had financial problems and couldn't pay my community fees for a while. I was trying to get a statement from the agent in order to settle the account when I got an email from the lawyer threatening legal action, and with a 10% penalty against each outstanding payment. I have since paid the base amount, but am contesting the penalties as they seem abusive. I also had been given no warning that they might be applied. I have not been invited to community meetings, or received minutes that the charges were being introduced, even though the agent has my email address.

Do I have to pay them? Thanks in advance.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 12:42 PM by nitram Star rating in castalla. 175 posts Send private message

Go and see your Community President.Ask him for copys of previous meetings. Where is your main residance ? Spain or another Country, by law community letters only have to be sent to your Spanish Address., is there a community rule stating that Correspondence can be done via e-mail or not if  not you have not got a leg to stand on o´m afraid

It is the norm for a 10% charge  and no more to be added to your community fees if you don´t pay . so not abusive

Also if you don´t pay the fees the  community may could take you to court for outstanding fees and ask for a embargo put  on your property.

Nitram

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 1:21 PM by johnfrith Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Thanks for you post nitram.

I do live in the UK, and I wasn't aware that the obligation was only to send to Spain, or that 10% is standard. :(

10% still sounds excessive, but sometimes you have to pick and choose your battles. Thanks again.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2012 1:26 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

If your Community has agreed the fines my a majority at a properly conviened meeting then you have to pay.

It is your responsibility to find out about the Community rules.

That may sound harsh but that's the way it is.

If you don't pay and you are taken to court, you will loose. The Courts in Spain take non payment of Community fees and fines very seriosly.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Changing car documents - 9 posts
Changing name of car documents - 2 posts
Iwant to swap my 3 bed semi in Bridgend S Wales for an apartment near Estepona - 0 posts
Beware when selling your car in Spain. - 0 posts
Bobbie - 1 posts
Movifresh - 1 posts
Yet another thread hijacked by the "hard done by" generation!!! - 6 posts
What does Europe need to sort out this mess? - 27 posts
Credit card PINs - 19 posts
Everything I should know, when buying a car in Spain. - 6 posts
air source heat pumps and alternative energy sources - 1 posts
Health advise - do you need health advise - 0 posts
LOOKING FOR 5 MONTHS RENTAL IN MOJACAR PLAYA - 0 posts
SLINGBOX TV CONTROLLER. - 1 posts
I'm looking for spanish car left hand drive - 8 posts
LOOKING FOR A 2-WEEK RENTAL from 22nd September - 0 posts
fort collins property management companies - 0 posts
6 TO 10% VAT HOUSE PURCHASE HIKE IN NEW YEAR. - 2 posts
Another Nail in the Spanish Property Coffin - 63 posts
momac61 - 6 posts
Beware of defaulting on a mortgage - 4 posts
I am so confused - 1 posts
Nueva Ribera Beach Club - 2 posts
Brittany Ferry Spanish Voyage Club - 1 posts
Brittany Ferries Spain Voyage Club - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x