Buying a camper van; Spain v UK?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Aug 2012 10:52 AM by annabellc Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

My husband and I have a small apartment in Estepona and a home in the UK. We would like to travel between the two, and get to know Spain better, in a camper van. As most of our driving will be on the continent we would like a left-hand drive. Also, one that is not too big and is in quite good condition. Our maximum budget is £15,000. Could anyone please advise us on the following:-

Are campers cheaper to buy in Spain than the UK?

Does anyone know someone who has a second-hand, left hand drive camper for sale?

Thank you.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2012 12:55 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1114 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Hers a few to be going on with...

http://www.milanuncios.com/autocaravanas-de-segunda-mano-en-malaga/

One small point to bear in mind concerns your licence...  on a car licence you can drive up to 7500Kgms if that licence was issued before Jan 1st 1997; if it was issued after that date you are limited to 3500Kgms.

This 3500 Kg limitation automatically rules out most if not all of the big Yank Tank motorhomes and in any event there is little or no mechanical or tech support for these vehicles in Spain. (I know this from bitter experience!)

Be aware also that roadside assistance insurance cover in the event of a breakdown can be difficult to obtain and is limited by the age and size of the vehicle in question.

As for purchasing here or in the UK, if you buy a UK reg you will be subject to all of the problems associated with driving / owning a UK reg vehicle in Spain, requiring valid uk road tax and a uk MOT at all times. A Spanish reg vehicle is by far the easier option even if it costs a little more initially...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
06 Aug 2012 1:12 PM by Julianx Star rating in Spain. 61 posts Send private message

I bought a second hand, entry level, motor home in the USA,  cost £50,000 plus.  Used it for five months  and could not wait to sell it before returning to Spain.

For £15,00o,   I would not even look.  

Consider B and B

Like 0      
06 Aug 2012 2:20 PM by annabellc Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thank you Foxbate for your reply. Both our licences were issued prior to 1997. However, we would certainly not consider a large Yank mobile home as, not having driven a camper before, would not want one too big. A smaller two person, double berth with a small shower/WC room is what we are looking for. A small left hand drive is not easy to find in the UK, and are certainly more expensive here. Hence me wondering if they would be cheaper in Spain.

Thank you again. Anne C

Like 0      
06 Aug 2012 4:46 PM by Abyss_Rover Star rating in Mallorca. 72 posts Send private message

Maybe worth looking for a French registered van. As your travels will be mostly in France, this could make things easier. Just an idea!

www.finditfme.com The new, advanced way to find what you are looking for.

Like 0      
26 Jul 2017 9:54 AM by Shaina123 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hello,

I live nearby and have a camper van for sale which is all legal on Spanish plates and maintained by a local garage. It has everything. Sleeps 3. Air con.  Heating.  Kitchen. Shower.  Toilet. Solla panels. 2 batteries. Extra securitu locks. plus lots more. It is a VW van custom built by a local engineer.

We have traveled thro France to UK and back and it's in very good condition.

Would you like to look at it? 

Like 0      
26 Jul 2017 6:09 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Shaina did you realise the last post on this thread was made in 2012

Like 0      
27 Jul 2017 12:03 AM by Shaina123 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Woops I didn't. Sorry my mistake 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

moving to ciudad quesada - 3 posts
Buy a new car in Spain [NOT SECONDHAND] - 0 posts
Clubs to join in the Manilva district. - 2 posts
BE HONEST...Would you stay in Spain if it wasn't for the weather? - 244 posts
Very Proud - 22 posts
Endesa - Are they overcharging everyone in Spain? - 19 posts
Prescription charges reclaim - 9 posts
New arrival in Gibraltar - 4 posts
inviting a non-European to Spain - 25 posts
AENA backs down and considers removing air bridges - 0 posts
Telephone and Internet installation - 6 posts
Trees/bushes - 2 posts
Single Bespoke Pine Bed for Sale - 0 posts
Airport Run to Calpe - 2 posts
Just moved to Los Boliches - 0 posts
Electricity costs. - 6 posts
So there is a non driver and 4 young kids....what do we do? - 2 posts
NuevaGalicia Bank in Tenerife - 0 posts
Does "rent a car la zenia" still exist? - 2 posts
Electrical Meters, Electrical Meter Boxes and Endesa. - 31 posts
Permanent residency - 4 posts
Money in Bank - 11 posts
Crime Victims Online Crime Reporting Service - 0 posts
Online Crime Reporting Service - 0 posts
Javea Long Term Let Required - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x