Driving license

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Jul 2012 20:24 by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message


Anyone know anything about having to change UK license for a Spanish one if your a resident ?? Heard lots of storys, to to be honest thought that the UK one also covers EU ???


Like 0      
24 Jul 2012 08:47 by mobailey Star rating in San Cayetano. 461 posts Send private message

mobailey´s avatar

  The British Embassy in Madrid give the following guidance on UK
Driving Licences in Spain:

UK driving licences issued from 1990 and the photo card licence issued
from 1997 are accepted in Spain. Licences issued before 1990 are only
accepted if accompanied by an official translation into Spanish
(available from the Spanish Embassy in London and the Real Automóvil
Club de España if the licence holder is already in Spain). UK
Provisional Licences are not valid for use in Spain.

It is not obligatory to register your British driving licence with the
Spanish authorities but it is recommended, since if it is lost or
stolen it is quicker to get a replacement Spanish licence

Once the UK licence runs out or if it is lost or stolen, the new
licence must be Spanish if you are resident in Spain
If members need more details or information they can refer to:


Mo&Bryan www.bryansblinds.com &  www.discovercostacalida.info Why not see if can we help  

Like 0      
24 Jul 2012 14:58 by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

Thanks for the info, the papers blow it all up, several people have told me it had to be changed to Spanish if you became a Spanish resident

Like 0      
24 Jul 2012 21:37 by Abyss_Rover Star rating in Mallorca. 72 posts Send private message

I think that you will find, you have two choices.

1, Change your UK license to Spanish (you will also need a drivers medical).

2, Register your UK license with the local "Trafico" and your NIE is eched into it. To be legal, you still have to have the drivers medical.





www.finditfme.com The new, advanced way to find what you are looking for.

Like 0      
25 Jul 2012 13:51 by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

If you are a resident of Spain and have been so for 2 years you must exchange you UK licence for a Spanish one also if you are over 45 you must have a medical test

This is the law according to Traffico at Alicante and is confirmed by EUrules



Overseas Property Company


Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
26 Jul 2012 15:40 by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

 What's the average cost of a medical & is it sent directly to the governing body with a copy to yourself?

Do unto others as you would want them to do to you. I am always willing to talk and converse to ladies or gents in a sensible way.

Like 0      
26 Jul 2012 19:05 by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi - it may have changed but I got one done about three years ago in Torrevieja and it was 27€ and they just handed me a certificate.  As Alicante Trafico then said I didn´t need to change my UK licence, I now need to go and get a new medical done and then apply for my Spanish licence within 3 months. 


Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

a uk debt - 14 posts
We save people 40% - 60% on the cost of fuel guaranteed - 0 posts
Removal Van For Sale - 0 posts
Advice required on mobile homes - please - 0 posts
Kerry's Kafe, Calahonda, Costa Del Sol - 0 posts
Putting Irish children into school in Spain. - 2 posts
Driving back to calais - 7 posts
EU Citizen (UK) & none EU Citizen wife (Thai) coming permanently to Spain. - 10 posts
Sonora ELE Language Awareness: a new way lo learn Spanish online - 0 posts
poodles - 3 posts
Refridgerated vans - 3 posts
Using a UK Registered van for business in Spain - 15 posts
Healthcare Reform for ex pats - 10 posts
England to Spain with 3 cats and a dog - 0 posts
overun with ants - 14 posts
Purchasing adjacent property to extend house in Almeria area - 1 posts
furniture for sale in Murcia - 10 posts
My Technomate 5402HD satellite receiver needs repaired - 0 posts
A win for people power - 0 posts
Changing Name on NIE Number paper and Spanish Driving Licence - 1 posts
ITV & Tyres - 14 posts
embargo on my account - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x