Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Jul 2012 12:20 AM by HERBY Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

EVENING ALL

DOES ANYONE THINK IF THE LATEST AUSTERITY MEASURES JUST

ANNOUNCED WILL HIT THE EXPATS COMMUNITY BADLY.THE MAIL TODAY

JUST PAINTED A VERY BLEAK PICTURE FOR SPAIN FOR BOTH TOURISM

AND RESIDENTS AS REGARDS TO INCREASED COST OF LIVING WITH VAT

RISING SHARPLY SOON ALONG WITH OTHER RISES CREEPING IN.

THE ONLY CONSOLATION CURRENTLY IS THAT THE POUND IS AT AN

ALL TIME HIGH SINCE 2008  AND STANDS AT E1.26 TO £1.

HAVE A NICE EVENING  THANKS FOR YOUR FEEDBACK.

HERBY

Like 0      
13 Jul 2012 2:00 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Swings and roundabouts really... for those of us on UK pensions either State or Private or both, the 'improvement' in the exchange rate means a real increase in income. The increase in  IVA  is highly unlikely to gobble up all of the increased income; what might just do it though is the near 5% increase in electricity charges... also for those of us that smoke and/or drive he increase is likely to be noticeable because as with the UK IVA is added to a product that is already taxed.

As an example compared with January my pensions have increased by 180€ per month, in part due to annual pension increases and in part by the improved exchange rate. 

However just to keep the whole thing in context, when I first started keeping records back in 2007, I was not receiving the UK state pension but the exchange rate at the time (£1=1.6€) meant that I was actually getting the same amount as today including the full State pension... so taking it to it's logical conclusion, I am actually around 900€ worse of now than in 2007...!

Funny old world isn't it though... back in 2007 the exchange rate of £1=1.6€ didn't ring alarm bells with anyone... then it slowly deteriorated to roughly parity and now its picking up again but at  £1=1.26€ suddenly its the end of the world, the end of the Euro....

Give me strength....!

This message was last edited by foxbat on 13/07/2012.

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
15 Jul 2012 12:24 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

I just spent 4 days in the UK in the London area. We spent a fortune on trains, food and drink. Some things are cheaper, but it would take a lot to drive me back to the UK.

True, things are going to cost more but I still think we live cheaper AND better here than we would have in the UK. Had we stayed in England but moved to the back of beyond, then possibly we could have lived to the same levels, but we lived in London and everything is dearer there!

We are prepared to bite the bullet and put up with these measures without complaint because we just love living here!

Irene & Alan

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

civil residency -> gift tax -> and tax :) - 0 posts
What will I spend it on - 1 posts
Any bicycle hire shops near Algorfa? - 1 posts
Bank witholding information - advice please - 4 posts
New airport bus service from Playa Flamenca to Alicante - 2 posts
Help needed - 1 posts
Shutter repairs in Torrevieja - 2 posts
Small Chest Freezer for Sale - 0 posts
A little late but, it looks like Spain is finally getting the message - 2 posts
What happens if landlady issues a denuncia for unpaid final rent?? - 11 posts
IVA Hike - 12 posts
Overland Pet transport reviews - 0 posts
Torresat and Teleast - 3 posts
Hello - 0 posts
Vodafone rip Off - 4 posts
Spain medicine charges. - 6 posts
Anyone else had this PM - 5 posts
- 0 posts
taxi needed-1 way only for 3 passengers + luggage 17th July 2012 10:40 alicante airport-dolores zip code 03150 - 2 posts
taxi needed for 3 passengers + luggage one way only from alicante airport to dolores zip code 03150 - 9 posts
costs of monthly medicines - 1 posts
Trendy Barbers - 0 posts
Villa Rental - 1 posts
Healthy in Spain - 2 posts
Selling my property to my UK business partner - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x