Newbie from USA

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Dec 2011 12:00 AM by Blueiris Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

HELLO EVERYONE

Ive been reading the forums and at last decided perhaps having an American perspective here could be beneficial to all of us. More to the point, I'm technically American however, mum and her side all from Galicia, I've lived in Spain on and off: San Sebastian & Barcelona , so I am pulled towards both cultures as well as Caribbean since dad was Cuban and I grew up largely in Miami. Phew! Very long sentence. Recently, since my mum passed, I've been entertaining the option of getting my Spanish residency and moving there.

These forums are helpful but also disturbing since we ALL have a tendency to have a myopic vision of the world. When I read that OZ, NZ, UAE are not having issues it concerns me. The vision of individual countries will not facilitate solutions. UAE may have resources today, however , if they do not have countries to sell to, that society will be affected as well.

I knew coming into this forum as an American that I'll be likely to take some hard knocks. That's ok. Let me share with you that I'm part of the 99%, I've particapated with the strikes that are going on here in the US. I am interested in Global dialog particularly European-US.

Like 0      
04 Dec 2011 8:50 PM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

OH DEAR LOOKS LIKE WE ARE ALL ABOUT TO BE CATAGORISED AND EN MAS AT THAT.

Like 0      
05 Dec 2011 2:07 AM by Blueiris Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

How's that?  That's the last thing I want to do.  Au contraire.

Like 0      
05 Dec 2011 9:58 AM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

we ALL have a tendency to have a myopic vision of the world

with that statement you judge everyone whom I assume you have never met and is probably not true anyway if it were surely the world could never move forward

Like 0      
06 Dec 2011 11:55 PM by Blueiris Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Please reread my post....."  since we  [ALL]  have a tendency to have a myopic vision of the world".   Defensiveness, and duality ARE  the problems, we won't find solutions there.

My initial assumtption is that WE ARE ALL  fine human beings with good intentions.  I expect the best from everyone and only if and when I'm given reason to, do I change my view,

I decided to log on because I feel I had an interesting perspective to contribute considering I have experienced living in both America and Spain.  If I'm unable to express my opinions about global issues, then this i not the place for me.  

I was under the inpression that this forum was  a place to share, learn and inspire.

You decide.

Like 0      
07 Dec 2011 7:25 AM by wend691 Star rating in Lincoln & Rojales (C.... 179 posts Send private message

Hi Blueiris

EOS is a place to 'share, learn and inspire' and my view is that you will have an interesting perspective to bring to the forum.

With the economic downturn in Spain (and more importantly all the countries in the EU), its a risky time to be moving to Spain .... but I wish everyone who takes the plunge the best of luck.

I look forward to your contributions to the forums on EOS Blueiris ...

Like 0      
07 Dec 2011 7:28 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Welcome in. Blueiris. I spent some time in the us ( Washington DC) and adore your country in many aspects. Other ones are difficult to digest ( social security system for health coverage for instance). That´s why I am completely posisitive a Us- Europe or US-Spain dialogue will be benefitial for both.

I have got some american friends looking into start an american school in my area

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
07 Dec 2011 10:23 AM by D_B_S Star rating. 178 posts Send private message

Blueiris,

welcome to EoS and good luck in your move to Spain.

On the forum you'll meet all sorts, most are positive forward looking people who have followed a dream.

Most are Brits, a few such as myself are non-European - Australian -, a few Spanish and many others. Your perspective will be a usful addition.

David

Like 0      
07 Dec 2011 10:55 AM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

blue iris i did NOT  say you cannot express your opinions but please dont include me in your erroneous ones

it is so not nice. myopia in any sense of the word is not something i suffer from.

perhaps if you have opinions on global issues perhaps you should try the sky news site, although it is far too depressing for me, iam only on this world to enjoy myself

however i wish you the best of good luck with your endeavours

Like 0      
07 Dec 2011 12:07 PM by meggie Star rating in England. 114 posts Send private message

Hi Blue Iris and welcome...

The first question I'm asking is 'Why are you entertaining the idea of moving to Spain?'.  I'm curious to know how you think it will be of benefit to you rather than staying in the USA.  Are you just interested in getting to know more of the land your Mother's family are from...or are you keen to escape the USA at the moment?  As I said...I am just curious!  Another perspective is always welcome to us curious folks...

Mag

Like 0      
08 Dec 2011 3:30 AM by Blueiris Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi Meggie, I'm considering Spain becuause I sadly lost my mother in July of this year and I've felt emotionally pulled towards La Madre Patria. I have family there still and have never visited my mothers home town "Galicia".   In terms of leaving the US, well, it has it's challenges as many countries do at the moment.  Medical care is a big, BIG business here and that is very sad.  Capitalism & Democracy  is what this country was based on and yet Capitalism is what continues to drive our society here while democracy takes a back seat.  Dont' want to get on a political soap-box and risk re-offending those who don't care to look at politics so I'll leave it at that.  

Meggie, this is very interesting and may have not made it too Europe:

A 103 year old woman who was going to be evicted by the banks from her Alabama home of 50+ years. The sherrif upon arriving found this lady and her daughter (83 years old or so) and made the MORAL decision to NOT evict her.  It was such a rare intervention that it made the news. 

Anyway, I understand that Spain has it's challenges as well, what if any changes are effecting you the most at present?  I read that lights on coastal roads are not being run in the evening, sounds like Cuba, yes?

Have a lovely Spanish day,

Like 0      
08 Dec 2011 9:08 AM by marielove Star rating in China . 2 posts Send private message

**Edited - Spam **

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

car hire full/full fuel policy - 30 posts
Shop opening Times - 4 posts
I want to sell new 2012 Kymco People GT 300i First Ride - 1 posts
Europa Network - 2 posts
TAX INFO Please - 3 posts
Recovery of deposit money from El Balcon De Alcausin . - 8 posts
Where would be best for me and my son?? - 5 posts
LORAINE45 - 1 posts
Deep sea fishing out of Duquesa - 1 posts
Entitlement to Healthcare - 20 posts
wifi spain - 2 posts
Private medical insurance cancellation - 9 posts
Spare a thought for Michael O'Leary, Chief Executive of 'Ryanair' - 71 posts
Cajasol BIC - 5 posts
BARGAIN!!!!!! TOYOTA RAV4 2005.... NEED TO SELL!!!! - 2 posts
Greater flexibility in the processing of foreigners in Spain - 0 posts
Roda Golf - Furniture for Sale - 2 posts
I'm worried for Spain - 84 posts
Don Lochnagar - 3 posts
AND YET ANOTHER MAGNIFICENT VICTORY FOR COSTALUZ !!!! - 3 posts
Apple i Phone4 32GB model a1332-San Roque 300euros ono - 0 posts
My Partner has a foreclosure notice on a property in Spain. She lives in the UK - 25 posts
Wanted unfurnished long term rental - 0 posts
Iceland near San Javier - 4 posts
Heating allowance for OAPs in Spain - 22 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x