Whippy Ice Cream

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jun 2007 12:00 AM by mike grigg Star rating in Birmingham. 5 posts Send private message

Hi everyone.  I for one will be coming out to live in Spain early next year,  I also seen the MacDonald programme on Friday and like many others in the UK we don't give a hoot, it's gotta be better living in Spain than rip off Britain.

Anyway a couple of weeks ago on my first introduction web I asked for help on either purchasing in the UK or possibly in Spain a Ice Cream Van.  I had some fantastic responses even the web address of Senor Whippy who apparently has the monopoly of Ice Cream Vans in southern Spain.  Unfortunately, I have sent several emails but they have never responded. 

So it's back to you people.  If I was to drive a van over to Spain, what are the rules and regulations for selling Whippy Ice Cream?  What permits do I require, can I purchase the Whippy ingredients locally (Alicante).  The investment required is many thousands pounds, so doing the right homework is a must.

I have already contacted the British Consolate in Alicante, but alas they have never returned my emails.  I'm sure there is somebody who is a member of EOS has all the information I require.

Mike

Like 0      
04 Jun 2007 8:57 PM by harley Star rating in West Midlands/ Costa.... 67 posts Send private message

harley´s avatar
Hi Mike,
Hubby and I returned last night from the Costa Blanca, and as I said
on my last post...3 30pm on the dot the said Ice cream van arrived on our urb.
Husband and wife team, no name on the van just soft ice cream writen all over it. It was  quite an old van looks like it has been through a few wars, but still did the job, right hand drive spanish plates.
Saturday morning at Playa  Flamenca market the best ice  cream van ever and great ice creams 2 people selling both Italian , they looked the part in there white coats, and hats ,long Queues at 1.50e each.

Harley

Like 0      
05 May 2008 9:52 AM by natasha1 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi Mike,

I was reading your posts regarding the ice cream van business and wondered how you got on in the end?  I'm looking into something similar but in Southern Spain instead.  

Hopefully, you are in Spain now and living the dream!

Natasha

Like 0      
05 May 2008 12:32 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi all

For other thread see Mr Wippy Ice Cream (Click blue link)

Like 0      
06 May 2008 7:30 AM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

Hi Natasha

Good for you to have actually decided on a business idea rather than arriving here first and then finding there is no way to earn any money.

I note that Mike's idea was to drive a van over from UK.  If you do go ahead this is probably not the best or most economical way to do it as you would be obliged to re-register it here which can be very expensive (there are quite a lot of posts about this in the Moving to/living in Spain sections of this site.)  As it would be a business vehicle you have to be particularly careful to abide by all the rules as they confiscate business vehicles which are not properly registered and/or impose large fines. I can't imagine that buying a left hand drive vehicle  here should not be any more expensive and would be worry-free.

This message was last edited by jane b on 5/6/2008.

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
06 May 2008 9:56 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Jane, love new avatar of Kippy.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2009 5:34 PM by hjdagger0805 Star rating in Pilar De La Horadada.... 12 posts Send private message

hjdagger0805´s avatar

Hi All,

I am shocked to still read of people thinking they can bring over a UK ice cream van (or any commercial vehicle) and re register it in Spain. The fact is no matter what any person says you cant. Most people on this blog are giving what they believe to be genuine advice but have obviously never tried to register any foriegn commercial vehicle.

Also as I have said previously that despite the fact that some people are selling ice cream on the street it is illegal to do so.

The police are now catching up with people who decided to ignore Spainsh law and use illegal vehicles or trade illegally. Several people have now been forced to remove their vehicles from the country or have them crushed.

The only way you can trade legally in Spain is on legal Spanish Markets. You need a licence for each market and the amount of paper work required can be daunting.

As for people recommending Senior Whippy and them having the franchise for ice cream traders on the Costa Blanca this is absolute rubbish. People should read the posts relating to this company.

I would suggest that any person thinking of starting an ice cream business checks all the threads on this site relating to this topic.

This message was last edited by hjdagger0805 on 3/22/2009.

Like 0      
22 Apr 2009 9:15 PM by rachelmoving Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

hi all new to the site & like many before me i am planning to move to Spain Playa Flamenca to be presise like Spain Ireland (where im from) loves paperwork & permits not to mention application fees levies & admin fees!! we Irish Italians & Spanish love paperwork & hassel!!! we are looking to either open an ice cream parlor or ice cream van iv rad your posts & think your right about paperwork but im looking for a simple business with low overheads & im prepared to put the leg work in before hand. other than the infamous senor whippy is there anywhere else i can get a van???

cheers

Rachel

Like 0      
23 Apr 2009 8:51 AM by johnrio Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

After walking around "St Georges" festival at Play Flamenca yesterday, I did notice there were about 4 ice cream vans. I would maybe suggest you look into this area for your proposed business as you may have a lot of competition. Not to mention the climate around this area which is not good!

Regards.

John

Like 0      
23 Apr 2009 9:01 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi John - I was at the market yesterday and sampled one of the Whippy cones - cost 2€ but was great!  Not sure what you meant about the climate though as it was about 25 degrees when I was there.

Rachel - welcome to the forum!  Playa Flamenca is a lovely area but, as you say you will need to love paperwork to start a business here.  It is really hard to find a good idea that you can make money with - with or without a lot of start up costs.  I am in a big development and I think in high summer there is an ice cream van comes around but am not sure.  We also have a Family Frost van which comes once a week with a full range of frozen food and although they are quite expensive I think they will do well with ice cream and ice lollies in the summer.

Good luck and I do hope you find something that will generate some income for you.

Like 0      
23 Apr 2009 9:18 AM by firsteuro Star rating in Hondon de las Nieves. 58 posts Send private message

firsteuro´s avatar

In response to HJDAGGER,

One of the chaps who lives near to me has a landscaping business and has a right hand drive transit style van.

He was told by the local police that it was illegal and he could not register it in the Alicante province and cited "lack of driver visability", however if he crossed the border into Murcia it was no problem. He consequently registered and ITV'd the vehicle in Murcia and now drives around with a fully legal RHD van.

This was 12 months ago and I know that rules and regulations can change over night , but it is an avenue worth exploring if you find yourself in this situation.

Like 0      
23 Apr 2009 4:28 PM by johnrio Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

claire t

I meant the economic climate!!!!!!!!!

PS: i hope your not blonde and from Essex like my wife!!!!! (oopppss)

John

Like 0      
23 Apr 2009 4:50 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi John - the heat must be getting to me!

I'm grey and from Glasgow but I don't think that's any excuse!

Like 0      
23 Apr 2009 4:53 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Grey haired women from Glasgow are all the rage at the moment, in case you haven't heard?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
23 Apr 2009 5:45 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Roberto!  You say the nicest things!!

Like 0      
29 Apr 2009 2:51 PM by rachelmoving Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Hi all THANKS SO MUCH TO Jon, Harry, & Claire for all your helpful posts much appreciated sorry i havent been in touch sooner but Iv had my area manager over from the UK for the last week!!! Boy did she ware me out I manage a Cath Kidston store but you would swear we were saving lives Im soooo looking forward to my new life in the sun & Hopefully my new less stress ice cream business!!!! Finers crossed we sell the house soon & get going asap!!

My partner is an Electrical engineer & also a qualified Electrician does anyone know if he would get much work around the area he is also really good at fixing computers & is qualified in CAD would he have a problem getting work???

again cheers all x

This message was last edited by rachelmoving on 4/29/2009.

Like 0      
29 Apr 2009 4:36 PM by firsteuro Star rating in Hondon de las Nieves. 58 posts Send private message

firsteuro´s avatar

Rachel,

If your husband needs work when you come out, please try to learn the language asap or you will be limited to working / competing with expats for whatever work is about, and that is not much at the moment!

By the way I saw an ice cream van on El Raso in Guardamar yesterday.

Steve

Like 0      
29 Apr 2009 5:57 PM by Donna M Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Hello Rachel,

Sorry to burst your bubble but you could be a Brain Surgeon out here but there is no work.  We have been here 5 years with my family living here too but work has dried up and people are returning to the UK daily.  My brother is an Electrical Engineer and has been fortunate to find work for the last few years (on and off) but since the end of last year there has been hardly any work.  Also, you need to be registered to be an Electrian out here with a European regulations qualification.

When you work legally out here (self employed) you have to pay your taxes every month whether you have work or not.  This is roughly 250 euros a month which is ok if you are working but it´s an extra burden if you have no work.

Whatever you decide good luck.

Like 0      
29 Apr 2009 9:51 PM by rachelmoving Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Thank a million for your honest posts. But Ireland has been much worse affected in this whole  recession than anywhere else & our government has slapped huge taxes on us €250 wouldnt get a couple a night out in Ireland let alone anything else its about 1 weeks tax for me (thats not including social insurance) & Im not in a high paid job just average. We both plan to do the ice cream van but he was just thinking about extra work to stave off possible boredom? we originally had our own Property business here we used to contract ourselves to Developers to pre-snag their units for them & we offered a snagging & interior design service. I also offered Project management services for large residential developments as I have a construction/estate agent background this went well with my hubbys Electrical engineering background & we did extreemly well for a long time & made a great name for ourselves but there is nothing now, even my job in the shop is looking doubtful!!! so hopefully ice cream will still sell in Spain??

thanks for the reality check its good to hear all angles & all information

cheers x

Like 0      
07 May 2009 1:11 PM by yarp Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

well rachelmoving if you really want to go to spain  by all means go,but in my opinion and its only my opinion, to do business in spain is the last thing i would advise ,the spanish are the laziest,unreliable.over regulated,decietful, corrupt,greediest people i have ever met,one rule for you might not apply to someone else in the same business,and thats saying something as i am also from ireland.i have a business in spain and i am going to ged rid of it as soon as possible.Please please try spain before moving as it is really not the the nirvana many people think it is.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

how to get non payers, to pay community charges - 14 posts
Community charges..... non-payers....direct action? - 190 posts
Is this a first? - 8 posts
Murcia inspection trip - 8 posts
Builders need advice. - 2 posts
Issuing a Denounce - Advice Please - 7 posts
Trevor McDonald's disgraceful TV programme - 84 posts
EasyJet info - 69 posts
Aifos developers - 16 posts
Marina Dor - Serving a DENOUCE - Help please - 1 posts
Buying off plan - 13 posts
eyeonground? - 2 posts
Are they deaf - 1 posts
Occupied Homes to be Demolished - 6 posts
Direct pension payment - 7 posts
Merry Xmas - 4 posts
Sylvia (The Forge) - 0 posts
Gill - 2 posts
Finally a Urban Plan is submited for aproval by Marbella Town Hall - 2 posts
New Legislationfrom the EU - 26 posts
Townhouse in Mijas near the racecourse - 2 posts
LAWYER COMPLAINTS - 6 posts
Advertise your Tamaragua Villa for free - 4 posts
Buying Furniture in Spain - 16 posts
Euro Select Estates - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 26

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x