New Legislationfrom the EU

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Jun 2007 12:00 AM by hilda Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

From 11 June onwards all passengers travelling from the UK and Switzerland to Spain are required to provide Additional Passenger Information.

This API comprises: Date of Birth, Nationality and Passport or National Identity Card number.

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 12:51 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

I'm perhaps being a bit dense here but what is the new information that we have to give?

Passports contain allthe information you mentioned.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 1:00 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar
Passports do but the information on date of birth etc you will have to give at the time of booking so that the airlines can give the info to the spanish authorities before the plane lands at spanish airports

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 1:05 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
I think the API stands for "Advance" Passenger Information - and the information is as on your passport, but is required in advance of your arriving in the country.  Apparently, if not given at the time of booking (or before arriving at the airport) you may be subjected to delays on any flights to Spain while they provide this information at check-in.

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 2:06 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

So why has the airline not been in touch for more information?

Laury

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 2:51 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
I've booked my tickets online with BA and they clearly state on the website that this will be required, and if not provided may cause delays at check-in.  You can provide the information online on their website when you have booked.

I'm not sure, but I don't think it's up to the airline to enforce at the time of booking - they can only suggest that you give this information in advance of check-in.  I don't know quite what they do when you do check-in and haven't given the API. 

I would think that the airline or agent should advise you of the requirement when you buy/book your tickets.  If you have booked your tickets before this requirement was announced, then I would think that it is up to you to follow it up.

Not sure, but best to check it out if in doubt.

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 3:28 PM by jamesellisllb Star rating in Newcastle upon Tyne. 35 posts Send private message

Hi There,

I booked back in March to go to Malaga in October.

Easyjet have just e-mailed me to ask me to log onto their website to provide the necessary info.

It is a request but the airlines obviously know it is in their own best interests to get this info before departure so I would imagine if I don't reply, as my departure date grows closer, they will become more insistent.

I also expect in future the info will become incorporated into the online booking form.

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 3:35 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
If I recall correctly, I had to provide these details for Emirates online when I booked our flights from here to the UK, because the UK also require API from certain countries, the UAE being one of them. 

Makes sense really to do so at the time of booking.

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 4:42 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

I have  heard nothing from Flybe.

Going on the 21st so I dunno what they will do.

Laury

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 4:55 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar
i would seriously check with them if I was you it is possible that the spanish authorities may decline permission for the plane to land as the airline has not given the required details or also posssible that on arrival they may have a special area for all Flybe flights and take details there which will cause a big delay

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 4:57 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar
I think that if the airline has not collected it from you when you booked then they will collect it at checkin and so checkin will take a great deal longer.

Regards

John

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 5:08 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Laury, this is what  I've cut and pasted from BA's site.  I agree that you are best to contact Flybe - at the least, if you haven't provided this info, it will cause you delays, if not at this end then for sure in Spain!

Advance Passenger Information

• The governments of various countries require British Airways to collect Advance Passenger Information for passengers prior to travel.
  • If your itinerary shows that you are travelling to one or more of these countries you will be asked to provide this information.
  • We will only provide each country’s Customs and Immigration Authorities with the relevant information required by them, however some governments require airlines to provide them with direct access to airline passenger bookings (PNRs) which may contain other passenger data.
  • In order to ensure that your check in at the airport is as smooth as possible and to avoid any additional queues, you are strongly advised to provide this information for all passengers (excluding infants) in each booking before going to the airport.
  • It is also important that the information is accurate so that you do not have any delay when you pass through Immigration on arrival in these countries.
Spain

Laws already in force in Spain require British Airways to collect the following information from all passengers travelling to Spain, prior to travel.

Passport information, including :

• passport number
  • given names (as they appear on the passport)
  • last name
  • nationality

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 5:12 PM by LAM1963 Star rating in Lincolnshire, Fortun.... 152 posts Send private message

LAM1963´s avatar
I take it this must be due to the new shared tax rules. EU rules for certain countries only? Old Gordon is tying everything up on our movements for taxing second ownership abroad.

I take it the Eastern Block countries can still pass with a bus ticket and can do anything with no rules

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 5:18 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Actually, I believe you may find it's to do with security.  I don't think the UK requiring API from Pakistan, South Africa (J'burg only), the UAE, etc., has anything to do with tax.  All EU countries will be implementing this soon, I think.

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 5:20 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Oh, good.  A real live conspiracy theory.  Haven't seen one of those on here for ages.

Actually it's to do with the Schengen treaty in which countries signed up to allow free movement between EU countries.  Britain didn't sign up to this so we now, along with the other countries which didn't sign (it should also apply to Ireland because they didn't sign either) have to provide the information required by the country where you are going.  Spain has applied this before the other signatories but Germany, France, Italy etc have agreed to ask for this information in the future.  I'm afraid we can't bitch on about letting every man jack into Britain and then complain when other countries tighten up their border controls.  If we sign up to this agreement, we can move freely into and out of EU countries but then, everyone could move in and out of Britain freely as well.  I know it seems like we do allow everyone to come and go but there are supposed to be some checks.  You may find yourself stopped at border crossing between France/Spain and Portugal/Spain in the future if you are driving a UK reg car.

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 5:34 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Sorry, seemed to post a blank reply then!!  This is really interesting now!

I recall a friend of mine having problems with visiting a few european countries from here.  She is Turkish.

There is a Schengen visa, which allows a non-EU/non-signatory country citizen to travel freely, but they obviously have to apply for that beforehand (if I've understood this correctly).  And, it would appear, it's not only EU countries that have signed to this agreement, there are also other countries outside the EU (just did a quick search!!).

I think, basically, UK passport holders won't have too much of a problem with border checks if travelling by car/sea, but all travellers by air have to provide API when travelling from the UK to Spain, whether UK passport holders or not.  Makes sense really.  Even if the UK was a signatory to the treaty, those in the UK who don't have an EU passport, (or are from a country which is not a signatory to the treaty) would have to have a relevant Schengen visa to travel within the region in any event.

Have I got this right?

This message was last edited by Pitby on 6/3/2007.

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 5:35 PM by LAM1963 Star rating in Lincolnshire, Fortun.... 152 posts Send private message

LAM1963´s avatar
Thats the trouble with England being a third world country ?

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 5:39 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

You're all trying to worry me now.

Perhaps they'll do it at check in? They use the passport to check in with anyway. All the information is on it.

Laury

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 5:49 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Laury, I think the point is that, yes, all the information is on your passport, but how long will it take to input that information into their system?  Along with two hundred other passengers on your flight who haven't provided the info up front!  And what happens at the other end, if the info hasn't been received prior to your landing, how long will it take them to input all the info into their system that end, if necessary!?

I really think it's best if you just contact your agent/Flybe and ask them the best way to provide this info to them.  You haven't got anything to lose!

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 6:57 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

It isn't that easy with budget airlines though Jan.

You book online and speak to no one.

I haven't seen a travel agent since the 80s

I'm assuming they will e-mail me soon. If I don't hear in a week or so I will  ring Exeter airport and ask them.

Cheers.

Laury

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Townhouse in Mijas near the racecourse - 2 posts
LAWYER COMPLAINTS - 6 posts
Advertise your Tamaragua Villa for free - 4 posts
Buying Furniture in Spain - 16 posts
Euro Select Estates - 0 posts
photos - 2 posts
renaults for sale - 2 posts
Need long term rental in Los Gazules or near International school.Help anyone! - 0 posts
Statutory charges - 3 posts
lookin for chris and denise dockerty - 4 posts
Kliney - 2 posts
Recaliming 5% property tax - 4 posts
new grills compulsory on new builds? - 2 posts
New member - 3 posts
To Old - 3 posts
Help - I need to sell asap & am prepared to pass on some of my deposit!!!! - 3 posts
Spanish Property Scandal Petition - 10 posts
Furniture Packages or buy individual items? - 5 posts
EOS Google Toolbar button - 15 posts
Deposit refunded - 2 posts
Hello - Any advice on International Rentals? - 3 posts
Taking 4 cats to Spain - 34 posts
Transporting cats overland - 1 posts
First Ocupation Licence Update - 4 posts
Bangin head against wall - 14 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x