Recaliming 5% property tax

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 May 2007 12:00 AM by spainops0702 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I sold my house in September 2005 - only had it 12 months and made a loss (family split up) - the 5% was withheld as I am non-resident. I applied through my Gestor for the refund in April 2006 and I am still waiting. My Gestor seems useless - everytime he comes back from Alicante he tells me ´no news´or ´the person wasn´t there´. Can anyone advise where the delay could be, how much longer I may have to wait. Is there anything else I can do.

I desperately need this money - any help appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

Like 0      
31 May 2007 1:13 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Spainops I would advise you to take your email address off for your own security.  I cannot help you on your problem but their will be people here that can.  Take care Pat

Like 0      
31 May 2007 1:37 PM by Glyn the Lawyer Star rating in Jávea / Xabia, Benij.... 19 posts Send private message

In theory the process by which a retention is reclaimed from the Hacienda is straightforword but in reality it can be somewhat frustrating as your case demonstrates. Following Completion the buyer / Notary / their legal representative will pay 3% (formerly 5%) to the tax authorities using modelo 211. A copy of this should then be forwarded to your legal representative / tax advisor so that they can then present modelo 212 quoting the appropriate reference for the payment lodged previously.

Once lodged the tax authorties should in theory review the application and either arrange for a refund of monies witheld (normally paid into a nominated account with appropraite authorities) or they may wish to substantively review the transaction. From experience the latter of the two applies in circumstances where all or a large part of the monies retained are claimed.

In practice this process can take some time and it is not unheard of for one to wait up to 12 months or more for a refund of monies retained. By way of an example I am presently awaiting a devolution of money from the tax office on behalf of a client for a purchase finalised in February last year.

From a practical perspective if you had the relevant reference number for the modelo 212 application you could contact the appropraite tax office and they can normally provide information on the progress of the matter. Whether this means that they will act any quicker is a matter of debate but I think it unlikely.

Regrettably they are exceedingly slow at refunding monies but as we are all aware if you fail to pay them within the stipulated time period you are at risk of attracting penalties.

Glyn Moran

Like 0      
31 May 2007 2:04 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar

I would reccomend you find another lawyer to check on this matter Simon.

A good friend of mine is a Spanish lawyer and once told me there are lots of Gestoria´s who claim UK non-residents retentions for themselves.  Often the UK client isn´t aware they can claim back this amount and are lead to believe it is not refundable.  Even some less honest Spanish lawyers do the same.  The client is usually long gone back to the UK by the time the unscrupulous individual has pocketed the money!

I would suggest you get someone else to check into this matter to at least assure you the refund was not repaid months ago.

Good luck Simon.

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
31 May 2007 5:00 PM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Hi Simon.  The tax office is or can at times be really slow on refunds, years ago we used a gestor to pay some tax due  but due to a big mistake ? on his part he messed up the amount to pay and we only noticed it a few months later ,  (and he worked for the Council )  he did a refund form but it took more than  6 months before it arrived,  so we never used one again as I think some have deep pockets,    you need this checked out just to be safe with the tax office.    Regds  Rosi n

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

new grills compulsory on new builds? - 2 posts
New member - 3 posts
To Old - 3 posts
Help - I need to sell asap & am prepared to pass on some of my deposit!!!! - 3 posts
Spanish Property Scandal Petition - 10 posts
Furniture Packages or buy individual items? - 5 posts
EOS Google Toolbar button - 15 posts
Deposit refunded - 2 posts
Hello - Any advice on International Rentals? - 3 posts
Taking 4 cats to Spain - 34 posts
Transporting cats overland - 1 posts
First Ocupation Licence Update - 4 posts
Bangin head against wall - 14 posts
Saga transfer funds too - 0 posts
Mortgage and Run !! - 5 posts
Furniture Packages - 6 posts
eralia sell shares in various developments including los lagos santa maria golf - 0 posts
live in CDS but work in Gibralter-is it possible - 1 posts
Single Bed bases - 0 posts
We need some help - 11 posts
FIAT BARCHETTA FOR SALE - 19 posts
Completion letters from Agents - 0 posts
Self Financing Mortgage? - 2 posts
Furnishing in La Marina/Guradamar area - 3 posts
JOB VACANCIES - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x