Statutory charges

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 May 2007 12:00 AM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

We are just about to go to Spain and complete on our property.  We bought off plan and have seen the place recently, so don't have any qualms about quality etc, but have just received our lawyers estimated bill.  When working out our likely costs we consulted EOS and based our estimate on "Buying Property in Spain - 10 Points to Consider" available on the EOS web site.  In this excellent article it states that Land registry taxes and notary fees are each about 0.3% of the price.  In our case our lawyer has now quoted 0.42 % for the land registry and 0.84% for the notary.  this may not sound a lot, but is actually double what we expected when added together and quite a substantial sum of money which we could have spent on something else (several return flights etc).

Are we being ripped off?  I would be very disappointed in our lawyer if this was the case as they have been reasonably helpful and verging on the efficient to date.  Has anyone got thoughts on this subject?

Mike

Like 0      
31 May 2007 9:32 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Hiya Mike,

Total purchase costs should come to around 12% of the actual purchase price.

Your Lawyer (If they are any good) will estimate higher than this, and then give the extra back to you after completion.

In my own experience my Lawyer got it wrong and I got it right!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
02 Jun 2007 1:46 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I agree with Techno, the notary usually "overcharges" i.e. you pay on account, then when you get your deeds a few weeks later and the exact charges are calculated for Land Registry etc, you should get a bit back, which I always feel is like a bonus! Maybe your lawyer is just doing the same.

12% seems a bit hefty to me, unless that includes mortgage fees?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
02 Jun 2007 3:08 PM by JPD Star rating in Hull, East Yorkshire.... 391 posts Send private message

JPD´s avatar

Hi all

Just to back up your thoughts we completed on a property in April and the total costs inc wills and everything was 12/13 % of purchase price

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

lookin for chris and denise dockerty - 4 posts
Kliney - 2 posts
Recaliming 5% property tax - 4 posts
new grills compulsory on new builds? - 2 posts
New member - 3 posts
To Old - 3 posts
Help - I need to sell asap & am prepared to pass on some of my deposit!!!! - 3 posts
Spanish Property Scandal Petition - 10 posts
Furniture Packages or buy individual items? - 5 posts
EOS Google Toolbar button - 15 posts
Deposit refunded - 2 posts
Hello - Any advice on International Rentals? - 3 posts
Taking 4 cats to Spain - 34 posts
Transporting cats overland - 1 posts
First Ocupation Licence Update - 4 posts
Bangin head against wall - 14 posts
Saga transfer funds too - 0 posts
Mortgage and Run !! - 5 posts
Furniture Packages - 6 posts
eralia sell shares in various developments including los lagos santa maria golf - 0 posts
live in CDS but work in Gibralter-is it possible - 1 posts
Single Bed bases - 0 posts
We need some help - 11 posts
FIAT BARCHETTA FOR SALE - 19 posts
Completion letters from Agents - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x