Taking 4 cats to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 May 2007 12:00 AM by Anders2 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi

I am moving from UK to Costa Blanca and taking 4 cats with me.  i checked out air travel and the price is now out of the question.  Cats can no longer be carried in the cabin and have to be sent as cargo.

I have been recommended a company called EASYPET that takes them overland in specially converted van.  They  travel via the Eurotunnel, through France with one overnight stop and then animals delivered to your door the following day.  The cost per cat is  £229.Anyone have any recommendations or comments??

Thanks

Like 0      
30 May 2007 4:06 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Look at this link. http://www.eyeonspain.com/Secure/ForumPosts.aspx?thread=1214&dev=FB22&name=Taking%20pets%20to%20Spain

Suzi says "I phoned GB Airlines Pet Line (affiliated to British Airways) 01293 579546 and spoke to a very helpful man called Pete.  He suggested that my cat could fly as 'excess baggage' on any BA flight and I would only have to pay £4.65 per kilo (wieght of cat plus carrying box) plus £20 handling fee.  So working on the basis that a carrier weighs about 5 kilos and my cat weighs 4 kilos = 9 x £4.65 = £41.85 + £20 handling fee = TOTAL of £61.85 (not forgetting the cost of an approved carrier".

I believe these carriers cost around £40 so just over £100 each cat. Suzi was wanting her cat to travel to Malaga from UK

Like 0      
30 May 2007 8:04 PM by Anders2 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi

When I spoke o British Airways, they told me that cats can no longer be carried in the cabin and have to be taken as cargo.  They have to be transported via a pet travel agent, I called airpets at heathrow airport.  Bearing in mind that my cats would be travelling as 'unaccompanied' ( I am driving down through France) the cost I was quoted was £1800 - £2000 to include all the carrying boxes.  The boxes have to be special and not just normal cat carriers.  I can think of a lot of other ways of spending £2000.

Cheers

Like 0      
30 May 2007 10:43 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Anders, I don't understand, if you are driving through France yourself, why on earth would you pay someone else so much money to transport your cats? Why can't they go with you? I'm sure they would far prefer to be with you than a stranger. I would never trust my moggie to anybody else anyway, but for what Easypet quoted you, I could drive from Malaga to your house and back again with your cats, have a few overnight stops and nice meals, pay all my fuel, tolls & channel tunnel etc.,  and still have change. 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
31 May 2007 5:16 PM by Anders2 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi Roberto, I know!! but these 4 cats hate travelling in the car and the thought of all that driving with them creating all the way is a nightmare. I know a lot of people drug their cats but I don't agree with it.  Cheers.

Like 0      
31 May 2007 5:26 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
When we had to transport our cat within the UK a few hundred miles the vet gave us something to give him to stop him from panicking. We worried about this so a week before we were due to move we gave him a tablet & he seemed really terrified at losing his control & hubby & I were in tears. The vet said to give him another tablet so he'd sleep but he didn't, he just got more upset. On the day we moved we ended up with him travelling in hubby's fishing box which he wet & pood in. In desperation we let him just sit on my knee in the front & to our sheer amazement he just went to sleep laid there.After that we just used to let him sit on my knee going to my parents an hour away & he was fine. Not the best option but the one that worked.

Like 0      
31 May 2007 7:27 PM by Anders2 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Thanks, a few 100 miles in the Uk is a little different to 48 hours through Europe.  It is illegal to have a pet loose in the car - imagine 4 cats jumping about  ?? I am going to try Easypet couriers and let you know what my experiences are with them.

Cheers

Like 0      
31 May 2007 9:12 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Yes, I certainly agree with what you say, Anders. It's a concern, isn't it ? I would never dope a pet of mine again & I know, as I'm sure all animal lovers feel the same, we all only want to do what's best for our pets. We shall be needing to transport a cat sometime to the CB & that's why I've been following these posts in the hope I learn what best to do ourselves.

Good luck,

Rosemary

Like 0      
01 Jun 2007 10:26 AM by Anders2 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi Rosemary.  Friends of mine have taken cats overland to CB.  1 takes 5 in a van which has a large pen inside, room for litter trays etc but she dopes them.  another friend recently transported 12 cats, again in pens in a van.  Luckily for her they don't howl.  Mine create like mad on a 15 minutet trip to the vet so hubby won't even consider taking them in the back of our VW golf.

Easypet seem to know what they are talking about, nobody has posted anything bad about them so I am going with them.  Check out their website.  They are based in maidstone Kent. We leave on the 23rd June.  Once I get laptop up and running I'll post a report.

Cheers

Like 0      
02 Jun 2007 1:55 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Anders, I hope I didn't offend you by my post. I know every cat is different, and every owner of course! It didn't occur to me that your cat doesn't like travelling by car. Our cat hates going to the vet in his carrying box, although it's literally only a couple of blocks walk away. He goes mental. So one day we tried taking him (still in his box) in the car. Loves it! It's nightmare trying to park, but of course we'll do anything just to keep him happy!

Best of luck with your move.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 12:35 AM by dixie Star rating. 49 posts Send private message

Roberto-I never knew you were such a softy!  Anyway, at some stage I shall have to transport my two pusscats to Spain so I shall be interested in everyone's ideas and experiences.  I could never contemplate putting them in cargo (have all airlines stopped carrying pets in the cabin?) so it will have to be overland.  One of my cats - the male moggy (of course) sadly becomes quietly terrified as soon as he enters the cat cage and he loses bladder control.  Not nice for him or his sister who shares the cage.  They do seem to be happier travelling in the same cage, so the latest idea, which worked quite well was - wait for it - a small rabbit hutch on the back seat!  The hutch, being bigger than a standard cat box or cage, can be split in two, so one half  holds a litter tray and the other half their blanket.  They can also have their biscuits in the hutch, and a friend has suggested training them to suck water from one of those water carrier thingys that you can fix to the front grill!  Nothing will be ideal, but I never drive with a cat loose in the car. They may be spooked by something and distract me, and I would be worried that they might somehow accidentally escape - how do you open a car door with a cat loose?  I also have to have the ordinary cat cgae with me as I won't leave them alone in the car, so if I'm travelling on my own and need to stop at motorway services, they come in with me!

Look forward to more ideas!

Cheers,

Dixie

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 9:47 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
I remember once when travelling by road in the States, stopping at some tourist attraction (think it was Badlands National Park?) and seeing a family in a huge RV (campervan) stopping and getting out with their Siamese on a lead, and taking it for a walk and "comfort" stop! Now that moggie had style!! I think that's the way to go. You could even write a book about it afterwards - after all, John Steinbeck had a big hit with "Travels With Charlie", all about his road trip around the US in a campervan with his dog.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 Jun 2007 3:04 PM by bigredkev Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

why not try contacting Monarch Airlines cargo on 01753 686852, its gonna be a lot cheaper than £ 1800 more like £ 500. Best of luck Bigredkev

Like 0      
13 Jun 2007 4:48 PM by Anders2 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Dixie,

as far as I know animals cannot be transported in the aircraft cabin from the Uk,  whether it is different throughout other countries in Europe I'm not sure.  All animals now have to travel as cargo in special pens. 

It is also illegal to carry any animal loose in your car and very dangerous.  You are right, what happens if they become spooked and get under your acceleralor?? Worse still, go barmy and attack you!

I have booked my 4 cats to be transported  by a company called Easypet - check out their website - based in Maidstone. They are transported overland through the tunnel, France with one overnight stop there.  Delivered to you the next day.  Cost is £229 per cat which is cheaper than the £500 hundred for air cargo.  I am moving to CB, leave on the 24th June.  Once i get settled I'll report on the experiences.

The removal company I am using is Premier Movers - anyone had any experiences with them.

Cheers

Anders

Like 0      
13 Jun 2007 5:18 PM by bigredkev Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

4 cats @ GBP 229 each works out to GBP 916. How can that be cheaper than GBP 500 aircargo for all 4 ?

Like 0      
18 Jun 2007 3:44 PM by Anders2 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi, the price to transport all 4 cats by Easypet overland has worked out at GBP842 as opposed to GBP500 for 1 cat air cargo = 4 cats GBP2000 

Like 0      
19 Jun 2007 11:23 AM by bigredkev Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I think you have misunderstood me, on Monarch airlines the cost is approx GBP 500.00 to transport all 4 cats, thats not £500 per cat, but £500 for all 4 of them together

Like 0      
20 Jun 2007 3:02 PM by Anders2 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

OK, I did misunderstand.  I did not know about Monarch airline price and already booked after  I enquired through Airpets (pet transporters) who use British Airways from Heathrow.  The price they were quoting included all cages etc, cats had to be delivered to Cargo and collected at the other end.  We are driving down so it was convenient to have the cats collected, driven and delivered to our door at the other end - I guess that is what I have paid the extra for.

Oh well, it's too late now but I will remember if anyone else needs to know.  Thanks

Like 0      
12 Jul 2007 5:31 PM by spanishbikini Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

HI

I have a numner to ring but thought i would ask here first.

Cats are all ready to go with passports. Rabies vaccination is valid untill 2009. However someone told me that Spain may require this vaccination to be updated every year in which case they would need to be re-done. does anyone know if this is correct or if the passport says valid untill 2009 then it should be valid whatever country they go to.

Anyone know?

Tina

Like 0      
12 Jul 2007 5:38 PM by bigredkev Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi there,

You wont have a problem going into Spain nor returning back to the UK as long as DEFRA have confirmed that it is an approved treatment. However if you are going to travel to another destination in Europe please check with their state vetinary services prior to leaving.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Transporting cats overland - 1 posts
First Ocupation Licence Update - 4 posts
Bangin head against wall - 14 posts
Saga transfer funds too - 0 posts
Mortgage and Run !! - 5 posts
Furniture Packages - 6 posts
eralia sell shares in various developments including los lagos santa maria golf - 0 posts
live in CDS but work in Gibralter-is it possible - 1 posts
Single Bed bases - 0 posts
We need some help - 11 posts
FIAT BARCHETTA FOR SALE - 19 posts
Completion letters from Agents - 0 posts
Self Financing Mortgage? - 2 posts
Furnishing in La Marina/Guradamar area - 3 posts
JOB VACANCIES - 7 posts
condado de alhama - 6 posts
Anyone fancy meeting up in Duquesa on 19th of July? - 67 posts
Eralia takeover? - 0 posts
La Herencia de Casares - 3 posts
Structural Problems - whose responsible? - 12 posts
Resale prices at Lar Sol - 0 posts
Mothercare equivalent in Costa del Sol? - 12 posts
All welcome me to wish good luck to Impey please - 10 posts
Self financing Mortgage - 0 posts
corvera golf - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 35

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x