Replacing a President wita Committee structure

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

Apologies if this has been covered before, but if a Community wishes to vote on removing its President and replacing him with a new one binding the new one to appoint and elect a committee which did not previously exist, how would this be possible without changing the Bye Laws which, we are told, would require 100% agreement?

Like 0      
09 Sep 2011 12:57 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Changing the president is simple.

Every year at the AGM there is a simple majority vote on who is to be the next president.

I don't know what the Horizontal Property Laws says about committees.  I  guess it would though depend on what responsibilities you wanted the committee to assume. If it was just to assist the president then I would have thought there would be no problem.   

However,  your administration should be able to advise you more specifcally.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Like 0      
09 Sep 2011 2:53 PM by hosilverlining Star rating in Property owner in Gr.... 173 posts Send private message

From my reading of the Horizontal Property Law it may be that to create a committee which can make binding decisions regarding running of the community you may need to change your community statutes which would require a unanimous vote (and possibly incur costs if the statutes have been registered)  The first step would be to check your community statutes which your administrator should provide on request if you don't already have these, to see whether this provides for e.g. each portal or block to be represented, which would give the go ahead for a committee (depending on what the committee is for)

I have obtained a copy of a book  by Felix Lopez which includes case law and has lots of useful explanation in there re voting for a president, and also which types of decision need a unanimous vote and which can be carried by a simple majority.  It's a useful read and was sent to our UK address within a few days.  I'm in Spain at the moment and can't find the link we used to purchase but you can see the book here.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Commonhold_Law_in_Spain_Horizontal_Prope.html?id=nCRYZYFeXhoC

I hope this is useful

Like 0      
09 Sep 2011 3:13 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Hugh,
                 Having read your question again, I am not sure what you want to do.

.QUOTE  ..  to vote on removing its President .......     replacing him with a new one ()A president ? )   binding the new one to appoint and elect a committee

As I said,   you can replace the president by a simple majority vote at an AGM or by calling an extraordinary one.

I do not see the point in making the new president  appoint a committee.  For what purpose ?         

This message was last edited by johnzx on 09/09/2011.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2011 9:27 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

I m sorry for not being clear.

We have a President relected at March 2011 AGM who has failed to deliver on a number of issues

We passed a motion to have a committee of up to 5 people inc Pres, VP and 3 others as it a large community and much work involved as well as trying to keep a tight reign on Pres

Pres accepted committee but maintained he would listen but not necessarily follow majority view, i.e. his decision was final, we had no alternative other than to agree

Administrator later advised we could not change bye laws to implement committee rule without 100% vote

VP is willing to stand against Pres at an EGM provided we get 25% of owners asking for a change of Pres

VP/new Pres states he wants a committee structure, but how can you put this forward at an EGM without changing the bye laws and how can you hold someone to this method as it would appear in our bye laws as with Horizontal Law, any President actually wields complete and unadulterated power and VP only has a say if Pres not available.

A few of us feel a committee would make sense for all concerned  and are prepared to be part of that process but it appears difficult to implement in Spain

Hope this is clearer

Like 0      
09 Sep 2011 9:39 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

hosilverlining

Thanks for the link I will plough my way through it, unfortunately it appears there are no sellers of this book at present, how did you find it?

Like 0      
10 Sep 2011 9:16 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Hugh.

What I cannot understand is that the president you have was elected at the AGM in March, so that would appear the majority of the community are content with him. 

That being so, you would either have to persuade the majority they are wrong or accept it the way it is.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2011 7:22 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

john

As I believe is normal in spain, it was a majority of those voting at an AGM not necessarily a majority of owners. However that changes little, the current VP was about to put himself up to oppose the President but after a time out, what sounded like an inspiring speech and an agreement to elect a committee, it was decided to continue to support the encumbent.

Since march, a number of things have gone wrong, he has refused to take notice of the elected committee, which I accept knew it had no power at the time.

Work has been undertaken, rashly and money has been wasted, so after 6 months of efective trial a number of us would like to replace him with a structure we should have pushed for at AGM

Back to original question, as Bye laws cannot easily be changed but we would like to ensure a committee runs the community rather than a dictator

Like 0      
11 Sep 2011 9:19 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Hugh,

If I were in the position you describe I would arrange for an Extraordinary AMG and elect a new President ( not waiting until March when who knows what oter propebklems may arise)   however, if you would then be relying on those present to decide in thesimple majority  vote,  you may loose out again.

I don't have enough knowledge of the Horizontal Property Law to be able to answer your question about committees (your administrator does) but as the law does provide a solution to the community to rid itself of a president who is failing in his/her duties, that would seem to be the obvious way to go.

PS  The vote at the AGM to elect a president by a simple majority of those present (but including proxy votes held by those present) is not just the 'normal way' but the way established by law.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

60% of property value - 0 posts
Fine on sale of apartment called "Liq De Transmisiones Gestion" - 0 posts
Capital Gains Excemption if reinvesting profits in a property out of Spain? - 3 posts
Real Estate Agent responsibilities and % commission? - 4 posts
Al Andalus Car Hire - 1 posts
Best Spanish PAYG SIM? - 1 posts
Recovery of Deposit - 46 posts
Long Term Rental Qanted from 18th October Algorfa - 1 posts
help needed Urgently please - 10 posts
Scruffy Dop needs a home - 0 posts
Non resident capital gains - 2 posts
Calanova Palm..........Bank Guarantee - 0 posts
Amazon coming to Spain next week - 39 posts
hotel or guest house - 2 posts
Short Term Residency in Spain - 6 posts
Self employed tax - 3 posts
Tax in Spain - 11 posts
Lawyers for Conveyancing - Different types? - 11 posts
Lawyers - different types - 0 posts
Satellite tv, white card, loss of channels Andalucia - 8 posts
Looking for 2B Apt Marbella San Pedro area, to move around 16/09/11 - 0 posts
conversacion español-ingles en Skype - 0 posts
Non-Resident Income Tax - A Guide - 20 posts
BBC iplayer - 28 posts
transport for a ski walker from Cheltenham to Alicante ? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x