Real Estate Agent responsibilities and % commission?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by mshipley Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi,

I have a property for sale in Spain and a realtor I know has an interested buyer.

If it sells, what should I expect my realtor to do for the commission he will charge me?

Also, what % commission would be realistic in this market?  I think he normally charges 3.5% but over the past few months I have dropped the asking price by 50,000 euros.  Should I expect him to reduce his amount too?

THANKS

Like 0      
08 Sep 2011 8:06 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Mshipley:

I would have hoped that you had a written agreement with the agent, stating teh commission and other conditions, as in, what the agent should do on your behalf in the transaction. It is still not too late to get your agreement with him in writing.

If the commission is 3,5% then it would be, IMO, 3,5% of the price at which you sell.

Patricia

Like 0      
08 Sep 2011 10:05 PM by mshipley Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi Patricia,

I have my apt for sale privately on a number of websites as well as with a few local real estate agents who were happy to put it on their systems too, therefore I haven't got an exclusive contract with anyone.

The agent has just contacted me to say that he has an interested client and to ask me to organise a viewing of the apt, hence I am starting to think about agent responsibilities/fair % commission, etc, just in case I am lucky!

Advice from anyone out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Like 0      
08 Sep 2011 10:38 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Well, MS, my advice would be to still have some kind of letter of agreement (even a short one) with the agents.  No matter if you have several agents.  It just helps to avoid dificulties when the time comes.  If there is nothing in writing the agents can say or do as they wish.

IMO it would be helpful if the initial pre.contract deposit paid by the purchaser could be placed, if not with you, then with the solicitor.

Erring on the side of caution is never a bad idea!

All the best

Patricia

Like 0      
08 Sep 2011 11:08 PM by mshipley Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thanks for your time and comments Patricia.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Al Andalus Car Hire - 1 posts
Best Spanish PAYG SIM? - 1 posts
Recovery of Deposit - 46 posts
Long Term Rental Qanted from 18th October Algorfa - 1 posts
help needed Urgently please - 10 posts
Scruffy Dop needs a home - 0 posts
Non resident capital gains - 2 posts
Calanova Palm..........Bank Guarantee - 0 posts
Amazon coming to Spain next week - 39 posts
hotel or guest house - 2 posts
Short Term Residency in Spain - 6 posts
Self employed tax - 3 posts
Tax in Spain - 11 posts
Lawyers for Conveyancing - Different types? - 11 posts
Lawyers - different types - 0 posts
Satellite tv, white card, loss of channels Andalucia - 8 posts
Looking for 2B Apt Marbella San Pedro area, to move around 16/09/11 - 0 posts
conversacion español-ingles en Skype - 0 posts
Non-Resident Income Tax - A Guide - 20 posts
BBC iplayer - 28 posts
transport for a ski walker from Cheltenham to Alicante ? - 0 posts
Is this about right - 9 posts
wi fi in hotels and airports - 5 posts
UK or Spanish Driving Licence - 11 posts
Any advice on the Nerja/Almunecar area - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x