Have you seen the UK news

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Aug 2011 12:00 AM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

If  you have aren't you glad you dont live there any more. Everyone seems so useless.

This message was last edited by janie2003 on 10/08/2011.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 11:45 AM by lucishand Star rating in benahavis. 12 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

yes, it certainly feels good knowing we are bringing up our kids out here and not back there!

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 12:34 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

I misread the Sky News headline,i thought it said "UK Rots"........i thought to myself ,no kidding!!

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 1:10 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

Is nato need in the uk

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 1:40 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

i wouldn't be suprised if we start seeing adverts on the telly soon for aid needed in the UK!!

Trading standards will be inundated with calls to remove the Great from Great Britain as it must be contravening the Property mis decriptions act by now?!

It's a good job the UK has such a great legal system to sort this mess out?

Wouldn't happen in Spain,there would be a pile of dead looters by now blocking the high streets................................

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 1:55 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Yes, Spain is great for kids.  45% unemployment is amongst the under 25s!

I expect riots to arrive in Spain sooner rather than later, once people realise that Spain will be stuck with high unemployment for the rest of this decade. 

There's already been some flash points in Barca and Madrid recently...

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 2:49 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

There is now an agreement to use water canons and/rubber bullets now, if necessary.

I just can't believe the sort of reasons that people are using for looting:

"I am trying to reclaim some of my taxes"

"This is to bring the cause (no jobs) to everyone's attention"

It's a pity that more of the rioters aren't charged with attempted murder - could have happened with all the flats over the shops set ablaze" - and the cell key thrown away!  Just an unbiased opinion!!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 2:53 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

How come in Syria it was an Uprising of the Opressed Masses  and in England it is Rioting by Feral Rats?

When you allow the ants to escape from their council estates the dustruction begins.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 3:26 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

10 Aug 2011 3:30 PM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

I think the best quality of life in the UK is on the Costa del Sol

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 3:37 PM by Jon07 Star rating in Sydney. 84 posts Send private message

With respect, whats your point ?

Jon

"How come in Syria it was an Uprising of the Opressed Masses  and in England it is Rioting by Feral Rats?

When you allow the ants to escape from their council estates the dustruction begins."

This message was last edited by Jon07 on 10/08/2011.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 3:41 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

i dont really have one.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 3:42 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

10 Aug 2011 3:45 PM by lucishand Star rating in benahavis. 12 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

I agree Jane, right now, my kids are 5 and 7 and they get to be KIDS here in Spain unlike UK (i.e. they are not being dragged up into adulthood too soon), they are bi-lingual and we earn a good wage which enables us live in Spain. They attend a very high quality state primary education. If we decided International education is better for them in secondary school times, we can provide this through our wage. We do not booze our lives and money away here in Spain like some ex-pats and are more focused on giving our kids and nice life, an active sporty outdoor social experience and quality time with their parents (something we did not get in the UK). My eldest child is 7 and has just been diagnosed with an arachnoid cyst on the brain....in UK they are fussing about whether to give a referral and did not spot the diagnosis of the temporal lobe epilepsy which is the effect symptom from the cyst in that part of the brain. Here in Spain they diagnosed, medicated and I got a referral to see a Neurosurgeon about the cyst just by going to see my Doctor (UK will try everything they can to avoid referring you even when it's needed, if it comes down to money).

Statistics about where the 'best quality of life' places are all well and good, but they mean virtually nothing and are often very biased. It proves nothing. Most people would jump at the chance to leave the UK.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 3:55 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

IMO Lucis there are good and not so good points about any country.  In fact at the moment there is a trend where many ex-pats are returning to the U.K.

I mean, look at all the people who complain about how dreadful it is in Spain, and I dare say you would get an equal number from the U.K. complaining about how dreadful it is there. 

I am sure much depends on where one lives in the U.K.  And I suppose there is a lot of truth in the saying "wherever you go there you are."

Patricia

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 4:17 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

10 Aug 2011 4:29 PM by Jon07 Star rating in Sydney. 84 posts Send private message

Lucis & Campana,

We have both made relevant points.

Incidentally, we live a pleasant comfortable life in Australia BUT fancy Spain for retirement !!

Cheers,

Jon

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 4:35 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Spain is great, Jon, and you will surely enjoy being here. 

Contrary to popular mythology there are no highwaymen at every crossroads, nor bandits in "them thar hills". 

Patricia

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 4:59 PM by Kenny Ackers Star rating. 42 posts Send private message

Kenny Ackers´s avatar

Luci,

"Statistics about where the 'best quality of life' places are all well and good, but they mean virtually nothing and are often very biased. It proves nothing. Most people would jump at the chance to leave the UK."

Sorry luci you are wrong there, we have a fantastic life in the UK.

the UK has given me and my family a very nice standard of living, in fact I was even able to buy a second home in Spain which I have regretted ever since!!

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 7:51 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

I can't think of anything that would persuade me to leave the UK!!  No where is perfect, but we have a good standard of living here.

We bought a house in Spain, and are of retirement age.  I don't think that there are enough facilities in place, at least in our area, to cater for us in our old age.

Our friends, in Spain, with school age children feel disheartened about their futures - in respect of jobs and high unemployment - even being bi-lingual doesn't seem to help as there are so many people chasing each decent job.

I enjoy coming to Spain; am involved in many clubs and have loads of friends there (and I can speak Spanish) but I am content to just holiday there.

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Afghan Heroes Dinner and Ball - 0 posts
Mercedes SLK 230 Car Swop or Sale - 2 posts
new business - 0 posts
Wind! - 6 posts
Hi, I'm Daniel. I need some help with fitting out our summer Villa in Torrevieja, - 6 posts
Is it obligatory in Spain to have house insurance for tenants??? - 4 posts
What's happened to Richie Allen from Talk Radio Europe - 6 posts
Airport ground staff strike action 18th & 26th August. - 16 posts
Can anyone help me please no deeds for 7 years. - 5 posts
Spaced Out! - 9 posts
English Speaking Spanish Lawyer - 1 posts
Whats the effects in Laymans terms for Holiday Home owners if it all goes Pete Tong? - 1 posts
Positive news for Santander customers in difficulty - 0 posts
DRIVING WITH 5 DOGS FROM UK TO SPAIN - 12 posts
The Phantom Properties for Long Term Rent - 4 posts
problem with apartment electric oven - 9 posts
Hi to all! - 9 posts
USA Downgraded from AAA to AA Debt Rating! - 2 posts
QUAD HOUSES - 27 posts
Tenant Rights - Landlord Withholding deposit - 6 posts
DKV Health Cover Plan? - 1 posts
General moving to Spain advice (Polaris??) - 9 posts
The Trouble With Banking. - 0 posts
Barbeques - 12 posts
van hire - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 37

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x