Airport ground staff strike action 18th & 26th August.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Aug 2011 12:00 AM by Orinoco Star rating in Castilla La Mancha. 141 posts Send private message

Orinoco´s avatar

Info for anyone coming or going on those dates:

http://www.4everspain.com/blog/two-days-strike-action-by-spanish-airport-ground-staff-announced/

All Spanish airports will be affected on August 18 and 26.

Ground staff from handling companies at Spanish airports have announced a strike on the day that the Pope should arrive in Madrid for the World Youth Day.

Unions USO, UGT and CCOO have said that they will carry out 24 hour stoppages on the 18th and 26th of August. They say that all handling companies will be affected, including the movement of suitcases, check in staff, disabled assistance, and those who operate the finger air-bridges to the planes, as well as cargo and postal services.

Union bosses are meeting tomorrow Tuesday with Aceata, the patronal of the handling sector, to try and reach an agreement on minimum services.

It’s estimated that the most affected airports will be Barajas, El Prat, Palma, Málaga, Las Palmas and Tenerife.

Unions claim that management has failed to meet previous agreements in the sector, and also complain about the Development Ministry issuing new handling licences and ERE early redundancy plans in the sector.

The call comes as German air traffic controllers have called new strike action for tomorrow, Tuesday.

Like 0      
08 Aug 2011 8:32 PM by manorpark Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

manorpark´s avatar

Grrrrrrr!  Just happen to be flying to Madrid on 26th for a wedding. Have been trying to get through to airline for an hour and a half now, still in the queue .

Like 0      
08 Aug 2011 8:36 PM by manorpark Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

manorpark´s avatar

Just got  through to BA and they said 'what strike' !  Hadn't a clue, what a waste of time hanging on the phone.

Don't know whether to spend a fortune changing flights to a day earlier or wait to see if the strike is called off.

Like 0      
08 Aug 2011 8:52 PM by Orinoco Star rating in Castilla La Mancha. 141 posts Send private message

Orinoco´s avatar

Indeed. My Dad is flying back Barajas to Bristol on the 18th. I´ve advised him to bring an extra pair of pants.

Actually my next door neighbour is a baggage handler for BA / Iberia at Barajas - I´ll ask him how disruptive it is likely to be.

Like 0      
08 Aug 2011 9:00 PM by manorpark Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

manorpark´s avatar

That would be helpful, thanks.

Like 0      
08 Aug 2011 9:18 PM by Orinoco Star rating in Castilla La Mancha. 141 posts Send private message

Orinoco´s avatar

My next door neighbour was blissfully unaware of any planned action. Makes you wonder how this sort of thing is organised, he hasn´t been ballotted. If he finds out something he´ll let us know.

Like 0      
09 Aug 2011 10:49 AM by manorpark Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

manorpark´s avatar

Thanks. I hope it is just a threat and doesn't go ahead.

Like 0      
09 Aug 2011 10:15 PM by manorpark Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

manorpark´s avatar

Has anyone heard anymore about the threatened strike ? I am poised to change my flights the minute I hear the strike is going ahead.

Like 0      
09 Aug 2011 10:54 PM by Orinoco Star rating in Castilla La Mancha. 141 posts Send private message

Orinoco´s avatar

Only what I have read in the Spanish press; 2 million travellers likely to be affected.

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2011/08/09/economia/1312888295.html

Like 0      
09 Aug 2011 11:04 PM by manorpark Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

manorpark´s avatar

Thanks for that Orinoco. It's not looking good.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 10:00 AM by gill556 Star rating in orihuela. 69 posts Send private message

Think you will find it has been called off, I tried to put a link on but it wouldn't allow me.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 10:48 AM by manorpark Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

manorpark´s avatar

Thanks. That will save a lot of expense and hassle changing flights.  There will also be one very relieved bride in Madrid at the moment as at least 40 guests are flying over on the 26th.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 10:54 AM by gill556 Star rating in orihuela. 69 posts Send private message

What a nightmare for you all, strikers are all about themselves and don't care how much stress and worry it causes other people. Sorry but we need to go back 50 years and if you work hard you get rewarded, if you don't like your job then look for another. Why should everyone get paid the same whether they work hard or not?.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 12:07 PM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

Strike called off news link

http://www.thinkspain.com/news-spain/19944/airport-workers-strike-called-off

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 2:01 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Gill556

I suppose you really believe that workers should take what they're given! Of course some actions are somewhat on the "greedy" side. Maybe they just want to be like the bankers! On the oher hand, not too many Spaniards want to return to the 1960s, Franco and all.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 2:41 PM by gill556 Star rating in orihuela. 69 posts Send private message

no but I do believe that you should get rewarded for the effort you put in whereas now, you cannot be paid more than anyone else doing the same job as yourself even if you do twice the work.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2011 2:47 PM by Herry Star rating in london. 2 posts Send private message

That would be very helpful. Thanks

embed

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Can anyone help me please no deeds for 7 years. - 5 posts
Spaced Out! - 9 posts
English Speaking Spanish Lawyer - 1 posts
Whats the effects in Laymans terms for Holiday Home owners if it all goes Pete Tong? - 1 posts
Positive news for Santander customers in difficulty - 0 posts
DRIVING WITH 5 DOGS FROM UK TO SPAIN - 12 posts
The Phantom Properties for Long Term Rent - 4 posts
problem with apartment electric oven - 9 posts
Hi to all! - 9 posts
USA Downgraded from AAA to AA Debt Rating! - 2 posts
QUAD HOUSES - 27 posts
Tenant Rights - Landlord Withholding deposit - 6 posts
DKV Health Cover Plan? - 1 posts
General moving to Spain advice (Polaris??) - 9 posts
The Trouble With Banking. - 0 posts
Barbeques - 12 posts
van hire - 1 posts
rally clups - 0 posts
Playstation 2 and games for sale, offers - 0 posts
taking my van to costa blanca murcia - 4 posts
Wanted: man with van, to help move 13m3, alhama to baza - 2 posts
second hand furneture - 2 posts
Acercarte in Duquesa Castle - 0 posts
Tenants not paying rent - 32 posts
Lorca: advice please on what to see and where to eat - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x