QUAD HOUSES

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Aug 2011 12:00 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Can those of you who live in Quad houses comment on the pro´s and con´s? We are moving and I´ve fallen in love with a quad, but friends say they can be noisy.

I´d appreciate your thoughts!

Irene

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 6:12 PM by steve647 Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Yes they are good sized and well laid out, but having lived in one for four years and luckily managing to sell it recently

As regard the noise levels!!!! This depends on your tolerence to possibly having three noisy families/rentals in the other three houses .

The stairwells are noisy, noises from ajoining  bathrooms  and access can be got to the roof level from ajoining properties!

Think very carefully before you decide.You may be lucky and have two quiet little old ladies IN ALL THREE ( MAYBE!!!), but remember this is Spain and the sound insulation is not what you get in UK. 

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 6:50 PM by Flybynight Star rating. 60 posts Send private message

Flybynight´s avatar

Don't do it! I've never heard anyone talk about living in a quad without them saying 'God, the NOISE!'  We've looked at gorgeous ones, very spacious & each time the seller's neighbours could be heard & it certainly put US off.

Think very carefully as the seller would, of course, not tell you how it really is to jeopardise the sale. They may say 'well, we do sometimes hear our neighbours but the other three owners are rarely there' which'll mean likely the properties are let out.

This message was last edited by Flybynight on 05/08/2011.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 8:16 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

We've had a quad for coming up to 4 years. Our three neighbours are from the UK. We've had no problems. We've lived in the place a lot over the last year and cannot think of an occasion where we have had a problem. However, I don't think I would like it if our neighbours were Spanish. They seem to always be shouting at each other whilst the TV is turned up loud and go to bed real late. I hear from others on our estate where the four owners are from different countries. Kevin

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 10:40 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I was told years ago, by an insider in the building industry, that noise levels are related to the quads'  foundations. The better quality quads sections (houses) are built on individual foundations. To keep costs down (or maximise profits) many quads share the one foundation, which assists noise going from one quarter to another.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 11:19 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

what exactly are quad houses?

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 11:41 AM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

a quad house is a house attached on 2 consecutive or perpendicular sides to 2 other houses, each one with private and direct entrance via their front or side garden. When facing any of the four sides of the group, they appear to be semi-detached houses.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 11:46 AM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

Look like large detached villas from a distance but are divided into two ground floor and two upper floor apartments.  The downstairs usually benefit from gardens and the upper will have roof terrace and or solariums.   We have had one for sometime and are very happy with our downstairs purchase.   Noise is not a problem, and we have Spanish neighbours as well.  We thought that they would offer more privacy than a standard apartment block and have seen no reason to change our opinion.   The noise level is high in summer because everyone is outside and windows are open.   Inside - it is fine, though I have to admit, if we had known how much we would love the area and how much time we would be spending there, we would have gone for a detached much bigger villa.  In our community one of the issues (not for me but a legitimate concern) is to do with dogs barking.  I guess in apartment blocks you have fewer animals so the quad community attract dog owners.   So, plus side - tend to be attractive, traditional architecture and they have their own outside space.  Downside, you are still living close quarters with other people and the two upstairs apartments actually share the steps up.  I am sure there are more positives and negatives, but those are the ones that spring to mind.  

Brian

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 11:46 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

then as regards noise would it be any different to say living in an apartment?

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 12:37 PM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

That is what I am now wondering.  I have always simply referred to our place as an apartment - and an apartment block would not have individual foundations either would they?  I think to be honest, I would say in general, if you want peace and quiet in Spain you have to go very rural and be on your own.  The Spanish are noisy - we love the noise - though the all night fiestas can get a bit wearing at times!!  Don't choose Spain if you want quiet people!!

Brian

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 12:42 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

What Brian is describing is not a Quad house. It sounds more like a maisonette or a ground floor and top floor apartment in a low rise block. A quad house is as described by lobin. Think of a pair of semi detached houses, then add another pair at the back. each has some garden and generally each has its own roof terrace or solarium. I would say it is like living in a terraced house at home. Hope this helps. Kevin

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 12:54 PM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

oh ok.  So a quad has 8 apartments in it?   Ours is more like a semi, but up and down apartments.   I thought this was a quad because there are four properties.  But the problems with noise will be the same, no?

Brian

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 12:57 PM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

Just re read and still four houses.  So it is like a terrace as kev says.   Ours is just four apartments.   But I think the issues are still the same - it is about living close to each other in a small area.     

Brian

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 1:01 PM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

This site gives a really good description of the different types of house in Spain and a little plan of a quad.   Well well well.  We have a semi detached apartment not a quad!!!    Still an apartment to me.

mirodaliproperties.co.uk/pages/EN/HouseType.asp

Brian

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 2:09 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Oh dear, what have I started?

A quad house is one of four joined together in the middle, so imagine a large square, cut it into four and each quarter is a house. You have two sides attached and two sides facing outwards.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 2:48 PM by Flybynight Star rating. 60 posts Send private message

Flybynight´s avatar

Taken from the link already given http://www.mirodaliproperties.co.uk/pages/EN/HouseType.asp

Distribution Example
Ground Level Floor

Distribution Example
Upper Floor

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 3:03 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I must say this is all very confusing and sounds more like a maths class or trying to solve a rubiks cube!

But then is a quad house any dffferent to say a terraced town house on an urbanisation - ie you are joined on both sides?

In any of these situations you always run the risk of having a neighbour from hell.

The only alternative is to buy a fully detached property and to be on the safe side in the campo with no neighbours or buildings in sight.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 3:45 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Brian I think you are right you have a semi detached apartment. In Spain I think they are sometimes called bungalows. 

I think a quad house would be quieter than an apartment as you do not have someone walking or moving furniture about on top of you or noise coming from below.

Faro: If we all had endless amounts of money we would all buy detached properties so that there is no chance for the neighbour from hell being attached. For the rest of us it is trying to find the best we can with the money we have for a place in the sun nad our attempt of living the dream! 

If anyone is thinking of buying one, try renting one out before and that will help you decide if it is what you want and if you would be happy living in one. That is what we did.

Kevin

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 6:25 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

The Spaniards are noisy especially the younger ones we had some next to us for a while and the baby cried all the time the parents just left it for hours on end Imglad theyve gone.

These quads seem ok perhaps not as good as a semi detached house, it all depends on the quality i suppose

Rod

This message was last edited by rod on 06/08/2011.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 9:55 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Sounds like everyone is in agreement the Spanish are a noisy bunch!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Tenant Rights - Landlord Withholding deposit - 6 posts
DKV Health Cover Plan? - 1 posts
General moving to Spain advice (Polaris??) - 9 posts
The Trouble With Banking. - 0 posts
Barbeques - 12 posts
van hire - 1 posts
rally clups - 0 posts
Playstation 2 and games for sale, offers - 0 posts
taking my van to costa blanca murcia - 4 posts
Wanted: man with van, to help move 13m3, alhama to baza - 2 posts
second hand furneture - 2 posts
Acercarte in Duquesa Castle - 0 posts
Tenants not paying rent - 32 posts
Lorca: advice please on what to see and where to eat - 0 posts
Looking for a sail - 0 posts
How much does it cost to courier a document from Spain to UK ? - 4 posts
furniture pack - 9 posts
Alloy fold up bikes FOR SALE - 3 posts
Alloy fold up bikes FOR SALE - 3 posts
driving in spain - 9 posts
Restaurant in the mountains of espuña - 8 posts
To Justin: Possible virus or a false positive? - 8 posts
Road Bike Wanted- La Marina Urb - 0 posts
BBVA Rip off - 8 posts
New look site- where's the buttons? - 25 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 28

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x