problem with apartment electric oven

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Aug 2011 12:00 AM by hjm Star rating. 38 posts Send private message

We recently completed and moved in to our phase 1 apartment.

Our apartment oven caused lights to trip when the oven temperature is increased during use?

Has anyone else had this problem and how can this problem be resolved?

Thanks

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 9:20 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

maybe a longshot

but try and only have the oven on

no lights in the house, no tv and not the aircon.

and then report back.

we had it sort of and it was something truly stupid like the house had a lower plan for electric and we could have upgraded.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 9:48 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi

This is a very common problem with brand new and unused built in ovens that have never been used or used only rarely, The problem is that a small amount of moisture builds up within the grommet that the element passes through to reach the oven causing a short to earth via the oven casing.

This a well known problem that can be cured 99% of the time without having to buy any replacement parts, there is a trick of the trade that solves this problem , the solution, I would not post here, It’s unsafe for unqualified non competent people to try themselves.

A qualified competent electrician should be able to solve this for you with a hour of his time, if you are in the Mijas – Marbella area I can recommend someone.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 9:50 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

sounds like you have not contracted enough KWH

Have a look at your bill and check the potencia. If it's showing 3.45kwh or 5.5kwh then you will have problems. I suggest you increase to 8.05kwh or 9.2kwh.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 10:15 PM by Orinoco Star rating in Castilla La Mancha. 141 posts Send private message

Orinoco´s avatar

Thanks for that Faro. We´ve had the same problem for the last 6 years and learned to live with it. I say "learned to live with it", what I mean is I´m accustomed to being plunged into darkness at least twice a week, usually when I´m in the shower, or half way through editting a Word doc. I just checked our electricity bill and indeed we have a contracted potencia of 3.45Kw.

I´m doubly grateful because for ages I´ve been toying with the idea of installing a water heater and a power shower in an effort to try and wean ourselves off our reliance on gasoil. I was put off by the fact that even more of my time would be spent blindly stumbling around the house with shampoo in my eyes looking for a torch or a candle.

I´m going to investigate but does anyone know if upping the potencia means your bill is automatically increased? Having a greater potencia doesn´t necessarily mean you are going to use more electricity does it?

I can´t believe I never thought of that before.

Actually my wife is now telling me that if we increase the potencia we could lose the fixed price we have for being familia numerosa. 

Bugger.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 10:35 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Faro

A built in oven is only takes about 1.6 - 2.0 kw its the hob that normally causes the problem, around 3kw if all rings are on.

Orinoco

You can apply apply for a greater potencia, as always a bullietin will be required as part of the application and if your infrastructure is not capable of supporting the greater potencia more work will be required normally larger cables to carry the load and a ICP that is rated accordingly., it will be expensive if the Endesa do the work.

We have 5.75 kw which with a juggle is ok for a family home without aircon.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 10:51 PM by Orinoco Star rating in Castilla La Mancha. 141 posts Send private message

Orinoco´s avatar

Right, I understand. I was being a bit naïve thinking I could ring Fenosa on Monday morning, they´d flick a switch in one of those mysterious sub-stations and by the afternoon I´d be able to have all the white goods in the house happily rumbling away simultaneously, whilst grilling a pizza and marvelling at my wife doing the ironing.

For now I´ll invest in a waterproof torch and don swimming goggles when I go for a shower.

Great information though, thanks alot.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 10:51 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

A normal house on single phase will be able to contract 8.05kwh or maybe 9.2kwh

9.2kwh actually equates to a 40amp breaker whereas 3.45kwh equates to a 15amp breaker.

It's usually not the oven by itself but some other item that is the straw that breaks the camels back - ie kettle, hairdryer, toaster , water heater etc

If it's only one fuse that trips then you could try balance out the load or expand number of fuses etc

But to contract a 3.45kwh or 15amp for a whole house is crazy unless you do only have one light buld and a kettle!

Like 0      
06 Aug 2011 11:47 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Going back to HJM's opening post

It would appear that this is a new development, and assuming it's not still on the builders supply it would also be fair to assume that that the potencia installed was 'fit for purpose' - maybe!

Ovens that are left unsued for long periods of time suffer from the the problems you describe, they need to be 'burnt off'

Like 0      
07 Aug 2011 12:18 AM by hjm Star rating. 38 posts Send private message

Thanks for all the advice.

I think the cause of the oven causing the light trip that you all suggested is best discovered by a visit from an electrician , which I have subsequently set up.

I am assured that the likely problem is related to the unused status of the oven. I think as Team GB states I can presume that the electrical supply is 'fit for purpose' and that the problem can be resolved by dealing with the unused status of the oven rather than the contract from the electrical company.

Thanks again.

I will let you know the outcome of the visit from the electrician.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hi to all! - 9 posts
USA Downgraded from AAA to AA Debt Rating! - 2 posts
QUAD HOUSES - 27 posts
Tenant Rights - Landlord Withholding deposit - 6 posts
DKV Health Cover Plan? - 1 posts
General moving to Spain advice (Polaris??) - 9 posts
The Trouble With Banking. - 0 posts
Barbeques - 12 posts
van hire - 1 posts
rally clups - 0 posts
Playstation 2 and games for sale, offers - 0 posts
taking my van to costa blanca murcia - 4 posts
Wanted: man with van, to help move 13m3, alhama to baza - 2 posts
second hand furneture - 2 posts
Acercarte in Duquesa Castle - 0 posts
Tenants not paying rent - 32 posts
Lorca: advice please on what to see and where to eat - 0 posts
Looking for a sail - 0 posts
How much does it cost to courier a document from Spain to UK ? - 4 posts
furniture pack - 9 posts
Alloy fold up bikes FOR SALE - 3 posts
Alloy fold up bikes FOR SALE - 3 posts
driving in spain - 9 posts
Restaurant in the mountains of espuña - 8 posts
To Justin: Possible virus or a false positive? - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x