Racism in school

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 May 2011 11:40 AM by bon2222 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Perhaps I should just clarify.  I am not looking to get this woman sacked.  All I want is assurance that this kind of language is not used again class and that her attitude does not effect the level of teaching she gives to mine and other non spanish kids.  I don´t think that is too much to ask for.

Like 0      
26 May 2011 12:27 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

"Give me the strength to change the things that I can change;

Give me the patience to accept the things that I cannot change;

And give me the wisdom to know the difference"

I guess it depends on your attitude.  If you go in all righteous indignation and all guns blazing, you will alienate the teaching staff and will guarantee that your boy will be identified as a troublemaker and be dealt with accordingly.  And do remember that if the teacher denies it and says she must have been misheard, the Head will support the teacher and you will have achieved nothing apart from getting the backs up of the teacher and the Head.  Added to which you could face a denuncia for slander/defamation.  The teacher will almost certainly be a union member and once she gets the union involved, the Head will roll over and you will be in a battle which will help your lad not at all.

You can turn it into a drama if you choose but, in reality, we all know that most Spaniards are racist.  Think yourself lucky you're not Moroccan and that your son is not black!  It's not actually the end of the world.  But if you're going to go in then stop chatting on here and get on and do it or the curso will have finished.  But, as others have asked, do keep us posted. We're selling the script to Corrie

Like 0      
26 May 2011 6:14 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

bon2222

a teacher like that is not  really fit to teach and should br severely repremanded and forced to make a full apology to you and your child at the very least. No excuses, it's just low down racist bullying and is not acceptable anywhere. You must be able to sort this without fear for your son, otherwise you are confirming that it's a bad racist school that wont accept a serious complaint and deal with it fast!.

Like 0      
26 May 2011 7:06 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Hmm this isn´t the first story of this kind that I have heard. I too would be furious but would hold back from going in there as like others have said, I don´t think much can be achieved. I feel really sad that I feel this way but I fear that we might be seeing more of this in the near future. Perhaps I am over sensitive but I am feeling a bit of "the good times are over, we are all skint but the Brits are still about, can they just go home now please?"

LIke I said, from knowing how things work here I don´t think that you will do your son any favours by complaining. I feel for the immigrant kids i.e the moroccan children etc as I have heard children say awful things about them and their opinions must come from parents, teachers etc.

I know that there is a Moroccan lady who works for the ayuntamiento dealing as an mediator for foreigners. I am not 100% clear on what her role is but she is involved in mulitcultural issues. I think her name is Rashida, she is based in the buildingin Sabinillas where the library, spanish lessons and everything are. It might be worth talking to her.

PM me if you want to talk more privately.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
26 May 2011 7:47 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Justin

I find that pretty shocking that you feel you wouldn't be able to defend your own child against bullying and racism in a shcool of all places??

Each to his/her own, but If I couldn't feel confident of getting an apology at the very least, I certainly wouldn't put my children back in that school. Education is so important and surely we owe it to our kids to give them at least as good an education as we had in the UK.  Are things really getting that bad in Spain now that you have to accept racism and bullying in schools?

Like 0      
26 May 2011 9:25 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

It appears to be endemic and international; dumbing down   ...  the whole of society seems to have lost its moral compass; wars, famine, theft (institutionalised), and gratuitous bad behaviour. The worst examples are in the board rooms and parliament. They hardly set good examples. Parents must find it so difficult to teach values. This in the Daily Mail today: 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1391032/Teacher-labels-pupils-face-like-baboons--pulls-girls-hair-AVOIDS-classroom-ban.html

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
26 May 2011 9:32 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

goodstitch it was Susan by the way.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
27 May 2011 8:20 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Justin/Susan

sorry about that .  

Mike

yes, a basic respect seems to be lost these days.  My kids will argue a point even when they know they are in the wrong, where as I used to feel i'd got away lightly if I escaped with an apology after a deserved ticking off!  I think though that some things have improved in UK schools and a move against racism is one of them.  Bullying is another, I believe a child in my kids school was recently expelled after a few warnings about serious bullying. As parents though, we have to feel our kids are being treated in an acceptable way by teachers otherwise what messages are we sending out?

Like 0      
27 May 2011 12:03 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

Goodstitch, no-one has mentioned bullying in this case apart from you.  So no-one's arguing with you.  And it's all right getting on your high horse about racism but (a) we are talking about a single incident.  We have not been told that there is systematic racism, (b) there is only the word of the children that it happened, (c) it may be objectionable but no real harm was done, (d) ranting and raving isn't going to solve the problem here and will only make life at the school more difficult and (e) changing schools is not a sensible solution.  It is a huge disruption to the kids' education and you're just as likely to face this sort of thing at the next Spanish school particularly in the present economic climate. 

If you've really got the boys' best interests at heart then move on and let them concentrate on getting an education.  This is more about the feelings of the parents and posters on here.  Bet the boys don't give a toss.  And the time for action was immediately upon learning of it.  Getting a bit stale now.

Like 0      
27 May 2011 12:20 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

jek

racism is bullying by nature and probably the lowest form of bullying?. I agree it needs to be nipped in the bud.  It's a serious matter, not to be taken lightly. If a parent is concerned that complaining about it will make matters worse, then that only confirms just how out of order that school is! .  If you are right when you say ''most Spaniards are racist anyway''  and that's known by most parents, then I guess you have to say  'you pays your money, and takes your choice.'   Each to their own, but I don't find it in any way acceptable as you do obviously.

Like 0      
27 May 2011 12:20 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

jek

racism is bullying by nature and probably the lowest form of bullying?. I agree it needs to be nipped in the bud.  It's a serious matter, not to be taken lightly. If a parent is concerned that complaining about it will make matters worse, then that only confirms just how out of order that school is! .  If you are right when you say ''most Spaniards are racist anyway''  and that's known by most parents, then I guess you have to say  'you pays your money, and takes your choice.'   Each to their own, but I don't find it in any way acceptable as you do obviously.

Like 0      
27 May 2011 2:46 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

goodstitch,

There's no need for personal insult.  Of course I don't find racism acceptable.  But I do live in the real world and I do not, in the land of Cervantes, waste my time and energy tilting at windmills.  Choose your battles.  In my view, nothing would be gained by steaming in in this case, particularly after such a long delay.  Far better for the boys to forget it (which they undoubtedly have - it's the adults that are agitated) and get on with getting an education - and learning to take the correct books to lessons!

Like 0      
27 May 2011 5:48 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

jek

yes I'm sorry if that was insulting, but it's not half as insulting as a racist attack from a teacher to a pupil. I just detest racism and find it in no way acceptable in any form, and  I don't think it should be ignored. If the teacher was not being racist, or made a mistake then hopefully they would be able to apologise for the misunderstanding and clear the air leaving no doubt that they also see racism as very wrong.  If a parent feels unable to approach the school on this subject, for fear of what might happen to the child, what is that saying about the school? 

Like 0      
27 May 2011 7:23 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Hello Bon:

As you are the person affected, do let  us know what you decided to do, if you were able to have a conversation with the school authority and the outcome.

Patricia

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Half Moon Holdings SLU - Holiday club re-sellers - 5 posts
Need work - Gandia - 3 posts
making a tax return 2010 - 3 posts
Sign Ruth's petition - 0 posts
Sign Ruths petition - 0 posts
Sign Ruth's petition - 0 posts
Flying to Gibraltar - 0 posts
Marbella feria - 2 posts
tow bar - 2 posts
Via Regia Project - 2 posts
Prepayment Master Card - 0 posts
Leeds Bradford airport introduces £2 drop off fee. - 6 posts
Lightweight wheelchair for sale almost new. - 1 posts
Schools in Almeria-Almerimar HELP! - 0 posts
Where is tax office in Almeria region? - 3 posts
Is this legal? - 7 posts
Mortgage company Suing us in England - 5 posts
Golden Retrievers - 6 posts
Golden Retrievers - 0 posts
902 numbers - 3 posts
office table - 0 posts
Is a Carpark space counted as a second property from la renta tax perspective? - 1 posts
SMART CURRENCY - 12 posts
PSOE OUCH! - 3 posts
British v Irish Consulates - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 34

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x