Is this legal?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 May 2011 12:00 AM by Honeywater Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

A friend of mine is trying to cancel her contract with Teleast in Costa Blanca South, but the company is refusing to carry out her request arguing that first she'll have to return the equipment. When she had the service set up she had to pay around 400 Euros. Surely this would have covered the cost of the dish and the digi box?

I've just moved to the area and was considering using this company, but am having second thoughts because of the above. I would appreciate any info regarding other companies that provide this service in the area.

Like 0      
24 May 2011 7:26 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

I know this may sound like stating the obvious, but have you or your friend read the contract?  Because that's where you will find the answer to your question.

Like 0      
24 May 2011 8:34 PM by bigyin Star rating in Mazarron. 18 posts Send private message

bigyin´s avatar

You can have a freesat system fitted for less than that price and with no monthly fees.

I haven't heard of any re-broadcasters being that stubborn.

Like 0      
24 May 2011 8:40 PM by bigyin Star rating in Mazarron. 18 posts Send private message

bigyin´s avatar

And i'm sure that part of the initial setup cost is a holding deposit which should be returned when equipment is handed back.

Like 0      
24 May 2011 8:45 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

If you read the contract it states that the quipment remains the property of the provider and tthey need to return it or have in collected in order to cancel the contract

Like 0      
24 May 2011 9:41 PM by jagudelo Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

Thank you all for posting your very helpful views.

I've just had a chance to read the contract and the situation seems more complex than I thought. My friend paid a company called TV PIlar S.L. 590 Euros for the installation of a MMDS T.V. system (I'm not sure what this is, but that's what says on the contract). According to one of the clauses, "The cost of installation includes supply, installation and cabling the MMDS T.V. aerial sysem with digital receiver and viewing card...etc.".

However, 4 years ago Another company called Torresat took over TV Pilar S.L and then. I believe two years later Teleast took over Torresat.  My firiend had to pay a reconnection fee to Teleast for the "privilege" of having the service extended with them. So the question remains as to whether the original TV pilar contract should be honoured by Teleast.

Sorry to land you with this legal riddle. Any lawyers out there?

Like 0      
25 May 2011 8:02 AM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

You have answered the question with your comment re-connection fee because they would have been given a NEW contract with new terms

Like 0      
25 May 2011 9:18 AM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

When Torresat took over Pilar, presumably as a going concern, they would have taken over Pilar's contracts.  No need for a new piece of paper.  Legally the contract remains in force.  When Teleast took over, the same applies.  The contract remains in force - until it is altered by mutual consent.  When Teleast came to your mate with a new contract, he had the choice of cancelling under the terms of the Pilar/Torresat contract or signing the new contract with Teleast.  He obviously chose the latter so it is that contract that is currently in force and the Pilar contract is now irrelevant.

So what does the Teleast contract say about cancellation?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mortgage company Suing us in England - 5 posts
Golden Retrievers - 6 posts
Golden Retrievers - 0 posts
902 numbers - 3 posts
office table - 0 posts
Is a Carpark space counted as a second property from la renta tax perspective? - 1 posts
SMART CURRENCY - 12 posts
PSOE OUCH! - 3 posts
British v Irish Consulates - 6 posts
Online Translations - 73 posts
British GP Doctor - 1 posts
Am I on this planet? - 1 posts
Report on the Welfare State in Spain - 3 posts
fan about to be hit - 0 posts
does anyone ever get a reply from do you spain? - 14 posts
NEW BUS SERVICE FROM ALICANTE TO TORREVIEJA - 10 posts
administrators and community accounts - 1 posts
New Alicante airport - 2 posts
advice needed - 4 posts
bus sevice - 0 posts
Talking of Internet Connections - 1 posts
Most Popular Radio Station? - 0 posts
Want an old non functioning small satellite dish CDS - 1 posts
Andalucia, dangerous dogs. - 2 posts
Conjugation practice - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x