THE PETITION THROW-BACK

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Feb 2011 11:07 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

belucky

I know what you mean, but I think that show covers many areas and not just Spain, and I'm not sure if we would be targeting many of the right people?. If the show was organised or/and promoted by the Spanish government to attract buyers to Spain only, then our efforts would  perhaps be more focused?. I think there is a danger that we might be looked at as protesting about anyone looking at buying anywhere abroad?.  Just a point to consider , what do others think?

Like 0      
22 Feb 2011 11:43 AM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

if there is enough of us - every opportunity should be taken.

Norman

Like 0      
22 Feb 2011 12:31 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

These are the very exhibitions that brought many to Spain to buy in the first place.

Yes - there will be other countries on show.

But the protest would be clearly against Spain and warning of the risks and educating people of what has happened in the past.

With enough in attendance it could do serious damage to these events.

If the Spanish housing Minister will set off telling everyone how good the legal system is in Spain and how they can buy in confidence should we not be doing the opposite?

But of course bad news always gets better press coverage and then the Spanish minister might take notice and decide to deal with the problem.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2011 7:48 PM by belucky358 Star rating in North Yorkshire. 197 posts Send private message

Hi Goodstich,

It has come to the point  now, where I believe that it is not enough to just talk on this or any other forum..... as someone has already pointed out that we are just preaching to the converted.

We need to spread the word and if it means upsetting or slightly delaying,(in the handing out of the leaflets),a few people, who are buying in one of the "other" countries, then so be it.

Since it became obvious that I had been continually lied to, by my English Agent, my Spanish Lawyer and my Spanish Developer, resulting in me being robbed of my life savings I don't care, if like you say.........." I think there is a danger that we might be looked at as protesting about anyone looking at buying anywhere abroad?".   So what ? ?

Do you think that  the ex pats in Spain take into consideration what the public might say or think when they are holding their marches and demonstrations in Spain...........I don't think  it is upper most in their mind,  they get what they want and that is  publicity, for their cause.

With regard to your most recent reply from your illustrious MEP  DUNN,  unfortunately it confirms what these people think of us, we are insignificant and not worthy of any help.    Anyway who is this man and  how can he say " AND THEREFORE NOBODY OUTSIDE OF SPAIN CAN ASSIST YOU"       ??????????????

Like 0      
23 Feb 2011 8:09 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Obviously the majority would prefer to throw money at the legal system rather than become a constant pain at every overseas property exhibition.

I say take it to the streets and try get some good press/tv support and be ready to put up some tragic cases to help sell UK newspapers and not stop until the Spanish housing minister agrees to sit down and discuss a solution not only to the future but also to the past.

At least one person in each city is needed to coordinate and organise. We need a good PR person to make sure the message is delivered correctly.

I am not a victim but I will lend my support becuase I have seen and heard such terrible cases of how peoples lives have been ruined.

Like 0      
24 Feb 2011 5:57 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Keith/Suzanne/Ruth,

Following on from Goodstich's thread "Our wonderful UK MEP's" , Is it worth pulling together a standard letter that can be copied by all your petitioners to their relevant MEP's (using the website http://www.writetothem.com/ ), stating that their MEP has an obligation to follow through these complaints about the non application of justice by an EU member state (Spain) and how this is specifically compromising EU citizens?

Just a thought......

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 12:49 PM by belucky358 Star rating in North Yorkshire. 197 posts Send private message

Hi,

Can I take it that any form of  "peaceful demonstration"  at the forthcoming Earls Court Road Shows are a non starter ?

When Suzie started this thread on the 13th, I found it hard to believe when she wrote..... Just before I took our petition to Downing Street I wrote to all petitioners (appx 800 at that time) asking if they would take part in a peaceful protest (possibly Spanish Embassy). Eight people answered to say they would consider this. Three (including myself) said definitely yes.

Surely the good people of the South could have mustered more than THREE  ?  

Suzie has approx 800 petitioners and Keith has approx 300, and I appreciate that we are scattered all over , plus there will be some overlap of the two petitions, but even so.............THREE

Am I right in assuming that the prospective  buyers of the Spanish property at these Roadshows could well be using exactly the same professional firms, who robbed us ?       It makes you think !

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 1:49 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

The games will be the same but names may have changed.

The estate agents that once dominated - Viva, Ocean Estates, Andalucian Dream Homes, MRI etc have all gone although some are still there under different names. All these estate agents had relationships with lawyers who would attend the exhibitions with then to sign up the punters. Some of these law firms have also re-branded and distanced themselves from that association.

But the game will still be the same to tell buyers how great life is in Spain and this is what everyone up and down the Uk deserves.

But I guess these days from a Spanish perspective there will be less emphasis on off plan and more on trying to shift what has been built and push re-sales etc.

But I see Taylor Wimpey are still starting and building off-plan although I note their guarantees still include expiry dates and contracts are still quite onerous.

I think this would be an ideal opportunity for a demonstration and if you could get a celeb to attend for a photoshoot that would guarantee media coverage.

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 2:23 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

belucky

I agree with what you are saying and good for you for trying to drum up interest in a protest. Perhaps a few of us could get to it on one day or the other? (I'm about two hours travelling time north, so wouldn't be easy?), but as the subject has been on here a few days now, don't you think we need a larger show of hands on here before it's a go'er?. 

On one hand  you could say any protest is better than nothing?, but a lack of numbers at a demo' could make our cause look comical, and that's the last thing we need! 

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 2:38 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

goodstich is right.

There is not point unless we have a decent gathering. I would think we need a guaranteed 30 to 40? any thoughts goodstich?

But if not ready for this one then for the next.

We've had the petitions so now it's time to protest at suitable events/venues.

But might be a good idea to find a celebtrity to back the cause and some of those also lost money on Spanish property deals.

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 3:11 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Faro

yes, 30 or 40 minimum is a crowd.  I think we need a couple of months to prepare at least, but first we need a show or exhibition that at least 30-40 could and would commit to?.  Surely out of all those signatures we can find  5% to take part?

What  message would people like to see on a T-Shirt, leaflet, banner?

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 3:13 PM by belucky358 Star rating in North Yorkshire. 197 posts Send private message

Hi,

What does it take to generate some interest, other than just sitting at home infront of the computer........the silence is deafening ! !

Could it be that only a small proportion of the petitioners, regularly read E.O.S., or are they resigned to accepting the loss of their hard earned life savings.

I wonder why the petitioners who are within, say, approx. one or two hours travelling of the venue, will not commit to attend on one of the three days, like Goodstich ?

It could be that this "peaceful demonstration" could prevent the next wave of " LAMBS TO THE SLAUGHTER", as when I look back to when I commenced my purchase, that is exactly how I would describe myself.

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 3:28 PM by Suzie Star rating in England. 121 posts Send private message

Belucky - the figures I quoted are absolutely true.  But the Spanish Property Scandal Petition now has over 1,000 petitioners.  I suspect at the time most thought they would just have to be patient & await the results of their cases, not being aware at the time of the Appeals to come & defiance of Judges' Rulings.

I remember trying to drum up people to join me at a 'Spanish Property Exhibition' at Olympia, London some time ago.  I printed up hundreds of leaflets and just one lady made the effort to join me.  It turned out that this Exhibition was exclusively MRI.  We managed to talk to quite a few people going in and coming out, and this was informative & helpful to them but it did nothing at all to draw effective attention to our own cases.  Any efforts now being made to protest must reach the Spanish government first & foremost.

There are plenty of 'celebrities' involved in the same mess as ourselves, but so far I've had no response from any I've writte to - not even a signature.  All these stories as well as many other non-'celebs' have had a lot of cover in the press & tv.

ads:  The British Government responded to our petition of (at that time) over 800 signatures & case histories with the only comment that 'It has been noted'.  I followed that up with an Open Letter to the PM, and heard nothing from the Foreign Office.  The majority of MEPs have the same attitude and do not feel any obligation to do more.  Our petition has even been raised in the House of Lords.  Still no action.  I've done everything I can possibly think of - and more than I've mentioned on forums. 

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 4:07 PM by David W Star rating. 199 posts Send private message

David W´s avatar

Re: Demo at Property Exhibition

Were 30 mins by train to London and although not directly affected would be happy to attend

Two more bodies only i know, but maybe more will follow suit. The big thing here is you don't have to be a victim to support

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 4:23 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Suzie

you sound so tired of talking to those who wont listen, wont take action, wont do what's right?.  I have always believed justice will prevail one day, but I'm losing that belief now.  Is there nothing the UK or the EU will do for us?   Do we have to rely on Spain for justice?. If that's the case then I think we are all stuffed??

Thanks again for everything you have tried. If we can get numbers for a demo, perhaps that's all we can do?

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 4:23 PM by belucky358 Star rating in North Yorkshire. 197 posts Send private message

Hi,

Dave,

Thank you, hopefully, the two of you, will be the first of many ? ?

Faro,

On Marias Legal Tip 461, she states that the Spanish Secretary of Developement is coming to London in April with his House Sale Road Show.

Does this fit in with your time schedule ?

Suzie,

Just a thought but how long ago did you contact the Celebrities ?     they may have had a change of heart now ?

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 4:38 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Given sufficient notice I would be happy to join in April (can't make March), even though we are based up North, so long as Keith and/or Suzie acted as spokepeople for the media....... we need a voice that is respected and knowledgeable, otherwise it could do harm to the cause. Is Keith willing to attend I wonder?

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 4:53 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I think maybe we need to have a couple of key meetings prior to the demonstration to agree strategy and message etc. The message needs to be delivered correctly.

I will attend anything in London.

People need to select their city/area etc.

and for those who can't attend but would like to support then maybe a donation for printing/publicity etc.

But we need leaders in each key city.

and we need to find a celebrity - that always seems to be a benefit. Look how Joanna Lumley supported the gurkha justice campaign and that got good publicity gathering wth a host of gurkhas for a photo opportunity outside the Royal Courts of Justice.

But definitely wherever the Spanish housing minister goes we go.

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 5:31 PM by belucky358 Star rating in North Yorkshire. 197 posts Send private message

Hi Faro,

The following may be of interest regarding arranging a demo, I Googled " How to Organise a Demonstration" and got this  www.thefword.org.uk   

The reason for their demo is totally unrelated to our circumstances but it may hold a few tips ?

With regard to your six suggestions I agree, unless anyone has any better suggestions.

This message was last edited by belucky358 on 25/02/2011.

Like 0      
26 Feb 2011 1:13 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

great from David but the rest is very worrying.

I have many times criticised the happies regarding their habit of boosting their "morale" by kicking the victims, they seem to use it as a form of spin to promote their own situation in people's minds, possibly only their own.

I am fearful of the fact that they have been abused and kicked so often that they may have given up, perhaps we may not achieve 30-40 even in London.

Personally on a general basis I can reach almost anywhere and am happy to put £100 on the table.

It may just be we are not reaching all affected perhaps members can up the stakes if they are on other forums, or perhaps if personalities are not interested enough, they might be roused if the Mail took it up, perhaps even some sponsorship could be forthcoming.

It looks rather like some considerable effort is going to be required.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Water connection - 5 posts
solicitud certificacion de no residencia - 1 posts
Taxis from Alicante airport - 9 posts
Question for La Torre and Mar Menor Owners - 2 posts
Bank Properties Polaris World - 0 posts
Fresh Idea for Michael O'Leary... - 6 posts
Buy on Polaris World La Torre? - 0 posts
car for sale - 3 posts
Jobs at Malaga Airport - 9 posts
FS - 1.9 Satellite dish and sky HD box with viewing card - 2 posts
clieve - 0 posts
Hi to everyone - not been on here b4 but do have some questions, for all you good people out there - 9 posts
Looking for guitar (flamenco)entertainment/restaurant in Alhaurin el grandee area - 1 posts
Bratley & Sharp Associates is a scam!! - 7 posts
Opel Corsa 1.3CDTI (Diesel) Ecoflex - 5 door - Black - New in September 2010 - 0 posts
Cheap spanish course in Madrid - 1 posts
Community Fees - 2 posts
nouran - 0 posts
Spanish driving licence. - 46 posts
Spanish Mortgage for UK house purchase - 1 posts
German TV - 1 posts
Advice please for Australian pensioner moving to Spain - 6 posts
Flights to Almeria - 0 posts
Unemployment in Spain to stay above 20% until 2013 - 0 posts
Internet in Spain - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 111

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x