Ryan Air Rip-Off

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Aug 2010 7:23 PM by roddy1 Star rating in Leeds/ Balsicas. 250 posts Send private message

roddy1´s avatar

Do you want one!----- Take a look!

http://www.scottevest.com/

Like 0      
21 Aug 2010 12:12 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

quote...why cant they operate a limited service during the winter months when many of us pensioners like to travel. unquote

Put simply...because this would entail giving the customers what they actually want, not what M.O'L decides they are going to get.

He is a Cowboy,  a Vaquero; Bournemouth has been pulled because Bournemouth will not subsidise Ryanair to the extent they want, in exactly the same way he pulled UK flights out of Murcia, Granada and many others. But by saying "I'll be Back" he is staking his claim on Bournemouth, thereby ensuring that other prospective operators are excluded. Operating his new service from Ciudad Real to London serves the same purpose...as a destination it has no relevance for UK tourism it but it stakes a claim to ensure that no other UK operator will go there and it is less than an hour by AVE from Madrid; other airlines have tried C.R. and pulled out...Air Nostrum (Iberia) and Air Berlin, neither found the route sufficiently profitable to continue. So far as Ryan is concerned C.R. will be to Madrid what Girona is to Barcelona, Skavsta is to Stockholm and Hahn is to Frankfurt... but without the profit.

fb

This message was last edited by foxbat on 21/08/2010.

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
23 Aug 2010 9:30 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

All we need is agreement on the size and weight of inflight cases and this should be EU enforced.

I am not talking about people who deliberately abuse inflight luggage restrictions but only those that arrive at the departure gate with one nicely packed bag and are vicously set upon by Ryanair staff.

Ryanair have deliberately knocked 5cms off their dimesions so that the inflight case you normally use when flying will breach their size rules.

Eg

Easyjet 56cm*45cm*25cm

Ryanair 55cm*40cm*20cm

This catches a lot of people out. Of course Ryanair have a solution and you can purchase their special/unique size inflight case.

I always feel sorry for women because as all men know many women on a daily basis carry handbags that exceed these size dimensions without even considering hand luggage.....

Ryanair staff are under instructions from Head Office to get more cash in and to adopt a hard sell policy and/or enforce all rules.

An inflight bag with the extra 5cms fits perfectly in their overhead lockers but it's not about that they want the extra GBP/EUR35

The only thing Ryanair have going for them is price but you do need to be very careful to avoid the extras that pump up the cheap advertised price.

Like 0      
23 Aug 2010 12:28 PM by roddy1 Star rating in Leeds/ Balsicas. 250 posts Send private message

roddy1´s avatar

Hi Faro

I agree with you the point being that all the airlines I have travelled with all allow 10kg weight. The size difference means people who purchased new luggage when flying with other airlines Jet2 & Easyjet etc. getting caught out through no real fault of their own.

Regarding storage space in overhead lockers on serveral occassions when being seated at the front or back of the aircraft. I have opened the locker to find flight crews equipment stored in the overhead lockers, surely this space be for passengers hand luggage only. On one particular occassion when I came across this situation being my luggage had go under the seat in front, I waited until the flight was in the air when the crew opened the rear lockers above, they removed a large stainless steel top which fits onto the top of the trolley used for their sales. (Cleary this was way above the size allocated allowence). Any way needless to say soon they had passed with the trolley the case came out from under into the locker above, you should have seen their faces trying to get this object back in prior to landing needless to it would not fit.  

Like 0      
23 Aug 2010 12:38 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

I think you are wrong regarding hand luggage weight. Thomson only allow 5Kg. Monarch only 5 Kg on Charter flights. Even makes Ryanair seem good! Kevin

This message was last edited by kev2006n on 23/08/2010.

Like 0      
23 Aug 2010 12:48 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Spotted at Alicante airport on Friday: one man desperately trying to push in the side of his bag in a desperate attempt to fit it into the Ryanair luggage slot (he failed and had to pay for it), a group of people going through their bags to find their heaviest shoes (they were wearing flip flops) and heaviest clothes.  Overheard at the same airport: one woman saying "OK -  my bag is now 10 kilos, so can I carry that through and then come back for my other things?"  Err no, Madam, I don't think you quite understand!  Sorry!

I knew my bag would fit in, as it was my husband's and last time we flew we had been told to put our bags into the slot and it had fitted into the space, but I admit to a sense of relief when I showed my boarding pass and was allowed past without having my bag checked or weighed!  I was also OK on the flight back from Stansted, where they didn't seem to be checking bags as thoroughly.

However, I was able to fly back in August for my daughter's 40th birthday party for 124€, which was by far the cheapest return flight available.  In the past we have flown out with one company and back with another but both sectors were cheapest with Ryanair.

Ryanair had sent me an email a few days beforehand with the heading Cabin Baggage Restrictions, spelling it out in words of one syllable, so all people had to do was read that email and they wouldn't have been caught out!

Sue 

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
23 Aug 2010 12:53 PM by roddy1 Star rating in Leeds/ Balsicas. 250 posts Send private message

roddy1´s avatar

Hi Kev

I might be wrong regarding Thompson I believe I have only used them once found worse than Ryanair. I feel that their should be universal size and weight for hand luggage, to avoid unnecessary delays confrontations at the departure gate.

Like 0      
23 Aug 2010 1:06 PM by Jann Star rating in Merseyside and Jardi.... 802 posts Send private message

Seen at San Javier Airport for a Ryanair flight:- Lady having to empty cabin size suitcase totally in order to pull out a long cardigan and huge vivid yellow towelling dressing gown she then put both on in order to board the 'plane- quite a look!! What we couldnt understand was the need to travel with such a huge dressing gown, even when folded it looked the size of a deflated dingy!

Jan

Like 0      
23 Aug 2010 1:28 PM by crostrad Star rating. 92 posts Send private message

C'mon guys--fess up--we all secretly love Ryanair-otherwise we wouldn't still be using them-and they wouldn't still be in business.

You want cheap fares?-they give you cheap fares (inspite of the extras)

You want airports convenient to your destination?-they give you airports  convenient  somewhere in the same country

Yes-we check every time that we book for carriers with a lower all up price on the Stanstead/Valencia routes-no contest. I guess if we had to haul large luggage with us I might have a different view, but even then there are ways 'round the problem if you are visiting your own property in Spain.

Take a look at some of the freight/courier companies special  offer rates, and consider sending your heavy gear so that it arrives at your property the day after you do.We've done this about a half dozen times over the past 5 years with computer and household type stuff and it works fine ( plus it beats hauling rupture inducing suitcases up steps). As ever ...DYOR

So,with Ryanair-accept them for what they are, read the terms and conditions/fees/luggage limits-and follow them. Be Happy-you have a nice little property in Spain (hopefully) that you can enjoy. Lots of people would love that chance.

Everybody have a good day.

Like 0      
23 Aug 2010 5:37 PM by wend691 Star rating in Lincoln & Rojales (C.... 179 posts Send private message

Well said, Crostrad.Even though I moan a bit about Ryanair, they are the cheapest airline and as you so rightly say, those of us who have properties in Spain should be chuffed !

My soul mate and I take hand luggage over to Spain and have started leaving quite a few clothes in our place in the sun. So much so, that my hubby doesnt need to take more than a couple of pairs of undies (!!), socks etc and the rest of his bag tends to hold clothes that I take over and invariably bring back to UK 'just in case I want to wear them here'  (I tend to assume that UK summer weather will be hot!). This means less stressful packing time, less stress getting on/off flights as we dont have to scramble for a large suitcase with everyone else and most importantly, cheaper flights.

Love 'em or hate 'em, Ryanair are the cheapest airline ... and we all have a choice about which airline to buy our tickets from!

Like 0      
23 Aug 2010 5:49 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Of course if you have heavy luggage, aren't in a hurry and don't mind paying extra - the best bet is to book Eurostar to Paris and then take the Trenhotel from Paris to Madrid or Barcelona.  If you travel Gran Clase you get a decent dinner with proper glasses and cutlery, plus wine and other drinks, included in your ticket. 

Jann - I wish I had been there!  I can just picture it!

Crostrad.  Very true.  We are flying to Sevilla with Ryanair on September 1st for a couple of days.  66€ for the two of us - obviously going hand luggage only.  My son is going by train from London to Totnes with his girlfriend next weekend.  £115 for the two of them, though obviously they don't have to worry about the size and weight of their luggage!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
23 Aug 2010 8:14 PM by Jann Star rating in Merseyside and Jardi.... 802 posts Send private message

Sue- it was very amusing.... for us. Though I doubt for the lady in question. Also at that time everyone was required to put anything in their hands into their suitcases- water, sandwiches, a book. Which is exactly what Ryanair require to the letter but I can just imagine the chaos on boarding when people want those things again before sitting down. On that flight lots of people had to empty bags and put on clothing from their luggage- which makes little sense as you ae then still carrying the excess weight onto the plane.

We choose Easyjet and Ryanair not because they are fantastic to fly with but because they are the best price for us- you can choose 'priority boarding' or speedy boarding' both of which have improved in the last 12 months. Even when they bring a bus they make sure those who have paid extra get the first bus and it leaves for the plane first. At least that's been our recent experiences and we never put a bag in the hold.

Ages ago at San Javier there was a near riot when they changed gates and then people in the newly formed queue wouldnt let people with 'speedy boarding' through- they seem to have got over that problem by having obvious queues lines now or calling speedy boarders through first.

Jan

Like 0      
24 Aug 2010 11:19 AM by carolandrichard Star rating in West Yorkshire and P.... 93 posts Send private message

At St Javiar / Murcia airport last week there was a notice on the door of the duty free shop, something along the lines of Ryanair passengers are allowed to take one piece of hand luggage PLUS a duty free bag onto the plane. I wasn't flying with Ryanair that day but certainly would not have risked that one!

Like 0      
24 Aug 2010 12:04 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

There are two reasons why Ryanair do not let passengers carry on duty free bags:-

In many airports they have on-going disputes with airport management over ground handling charges and it hit's back due to luggage restrictions when their passengers do not buy!

The other reason is they also similar products on board!

Could be at St Javier in Murcia Ryanair have some type of deal with the airport and are therefore allowing passengers to carry on-board an extra bag which of course goes to prove it's all about money!

Like 0      
24 Aug 2010 12:19 PM by carolandrichard Star rating in West Yorkshire and P.... 93 posts Send private message

That makes sense Faro. Particularly as I know that Ryanair have pulled out of Murcia airport from end of October (I think 7 out of 9 routes have gone) due to a dispute about charges etc.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

punta prima - 4 posts
cam bank charge pentioners 13,000euro intrest for morgage late payment - 3 posts
Are Lilos Illegal In Spain - 21 posts
looking to buy - 2 posts
FREE tour in Spain - 0 posts
Lost the use of remote on sky digi box - 2 posts
the cam bank - 6 posts
Thread Title not displayed - 2 posts
estae agent? - 6 posts
Need information and advise - 3 posts
A weeks holiday, but destination needed - 3 posts
4 Car Tyres including fitting from only €99 - 0 posts
Kayak or canoe wanted. - 0 posts
Quad bike wanted - 0 posts
Sky + Box or similar - 1 posts
WANTED, car or van, also m,cycle, any size - 0 posts
WANTED;fairprice paid will travel upto 300 miles to collect?lcd flatscreen, 32.37 or 40 inch, also sky digi box or similar - 0 posts
part removals uk to spain - 5 posts
Golf Buggy Wanted - 2 posts
Golf Buggy Wanted - 4 posts
ADDRESS for smd - 1 posts
"Taster" Music Lessons - 0 posts
CAMINO DE CASTILLA (WHITE WINE) - 0 posts
COCKROACHES-PLEASE, PLEASE HELP! - 21 posts
HELP!! - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 55

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x