new buyer

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Apr 2007 12:00 AM by nickid Star rating in west midlands brough.... 74 posts Send private message

please help we are thinking of buying a two bedroom property as holiday home/rental we originally thought almeria way but may cansider torrevieja

. can you attend inspection trips but still have time to look around yourself?

.is Spain the best place to buy?

. we looked at iberian international and are they ok

. do we buy off plan or private

i have tried to read up on what we should do but i must admit i am getting a bit overwelmed by the choices, we also considered portugal but have not even looked at this yet

Appriciate any advice 

Like 0      
23 Apr 2007 10:24 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Nickid,

Welcome to the forum as i have not seen you around before.

You will find most of the answers you are looking for in here and generally get honest opinion,by the way i am an agent  although i do not tout for work just offer opinion.

If you book an inspection trip with any of the large agents you will be cocooned for the duration of your trip and released into the wild as your plane heads down the runway for you return to the UK,if they dare let you look around then you may find a good deal and buy through a real estate agent.

If spain is the place you want to spend any time and enjoy the climate and social life then yes it is the best place to buy.

If you want a get rich quick scheme and heady capital gain and return very quickly then the answer would be no.

Iberian International are a very large agent in a group along with Atlas International and Costa Blanca Balearics,you will need to ask around the forum for members with previous experience of them.

Whether you buy off plan or privavately (i take it from this you mean resale) is dependent on your needs and what you want from the property.

In all honesty you could read things about buying in Spain untill you go blind and still be none the wiser,my advice would be come to Spain independently,feel it,  touch it, taste it, without the added pressure of feeling you have to buy,find yourself an agent you feel comfortable with and go from there.

Hope this has helped

Regards

Georgia 

Like 0      
23 Apr 2007 11:39 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/18/2007.

Like 0      
23 Apr 2007 12:48 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Janice,

Was at La Laguna on friday for a meeting with clients,it's one of my favourites(very posh)but good value.

The summer has arrived at last and the big black cloud we have had has buggered off at last.

Back in the uk on friday to see clients for the weekend(mountain and mohamed thing goin on).

Can you order some nice weather please.

All the best

Georgia

Like 0      
23 Apr 2007 3:32 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Get a cheap flight.  Book a cheap rental place and car for a week and look around the area.  Nip in to the show houses and see the actual builders.  If you come on an inspection trip, they will only show you the companies they deal with and then they get the money back off you in the commission they charge so the trips are not cheap in the long run.  if you don't buy on your inspection trip, you will still be looking at property on the morning of your flight back.

Flights to Alicante or Murcia are available at around £140 return for two at the moment (unless you pick July-September when it's too hot to look around anyway).

Lots of private flats for sale in the areas you mentioned, some for as little as £80 a week which is how much a car will cost to hire for a week.

So, £300 will give you a nice little holiday and the freedom to see what you want to see.  Then go home, look on the internet to see which agent does what and then book an inspection tour if you really want.

Regarding resales, remember you are the one that pays the agency fees.  Both MASA and ATLAS recently quoted me 12% commission on resales.  Independent estate agents currently looking at 5%.  Even so, extremely high compared to what we are used to in UK.  Look at the property section on this site (and others like it) and you may pick up something without such a high commission on top.  Just putting your requirements on here will generate several e-mails with offers.  For example, I have a two bed top duplex for sale at 123,000 euros.  Going through an agent will cost you 139,000 euros plus taxes etc on top.  So buying privately (not through an agent) price of €136,000 including all fees.  Through an agent €154,000.  Mine isn't actually for sale yet as I am awaiting some paperwork, but you get my drift.

Like 0      
23 Apr 2007 3:49 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi bobaol,

Not all us agents charge 5% "extremely high compared to what we are used to in UK".

For example if you listed your property at €123,000 it would go in our window at the same figure(so exactly the same as "what we are used to in the UK").

We offer a "happy medium" come out on your own pay for it on your own and spend as much time as you want with us or not as the case may be,if you want our advice we will give it if not  then not.

The moral of the story is you must feel comfortable.

Some people find it quite daunting looking on their own.

Other than that "wise words mate" to quote smashy and nicey.

(this is bordering on advertising so i will shut up now!!!!!!!!)

regards

Georgia

Like 0      
23 Apr 2007 7:58 PM by JHMurcia Star rating. 753 posts Send private message

'Imagine Spain' were very good, no hard sell. Dropped us off in Cartegena for the day and we stayed a few days longer anyway to have another look around. Buying on the new Condado development, they have two beds in various parts of the development. Think there's also new developments in the new Murcia airport  area as well

Jan & Mike

Like 0      
23 Apr 2007 11:04 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
You can read some reviews on Iberian International at the link below:

Iberian International Reviews

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
24 Apr 2007 1:22 PM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

We did have a inspection trip last year with Parador  we told them what we were looking for ( resale) only showed us one ( really rubbish) they were pushing hard the off plan they did show us around the areas and good hotel / food only a few people took the plunge and paid a deposit about 4 out of 25 but ofcourse they signed up to there legal team not a good move as we see it , one of the areas was near Zurgena but it was right out in the sticks no shops hardly a road no public transport just almond trees it seemed a funny place to build houses and the design seemed odd for the area we thought how did they get planning permission ? does anyone have any info on that area . We are still thinking of coming back into the property market but for us it must be sitting there already we remember the days in the mid 90s when there were so many unfinised blocks just sitting there waiting for buyers not many around at that time, you dont have many problems with resale if you do it the right way in my view the off plan is too risky theres so many ifs, buts that you have no control over even when you do it right. The area you are thinking of buying in you need to spend time there looking around even a week is not much time remember you are going to live there take a few trips if you can get the feel of the area thats not really possible in one week, remember the best rentals are near the beach .have a good trip . Regards to all Rosi n

Like 0      
24 Apr 2007 6:42 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"...right out in the sticks no shops hardly a road no public transport just almond trees it seemed a funny place to build houses..."

I have made this point before - personally, I cannot understand why anyone would want to buy a property in these kind of developments. Open your eyes and think about it. It just makes no sense. However, this does not have to mean that off-plan is not an option.

Where I live is one of the longest established resorts on any of the Costas. I was still in nappies when the last fishing nets were dragged off the beaches to make way for beach bars serving bangers & mash. (Smiley was already in short trousers and visiting his grandparents). There are several new apartment buildings going up at any one time right slap bang in the middle of the action, on sites where (sadly) old villas have been pulled down to make way for the relentless onslaught of "progress". I bought in a couple of these developments and had no problems. Infrastructure etc. is all in place of course, so no problems with things like utility connections, no worries about whether the land is urban or "green". Of course, the concrete jungle is not everyone's cup of tea, but I still believe it's a safer bet than a new urbanization in the sticks.

Most (not all) of the new projects in town are relatively small & are being built by relatively small developers as well. If they are represented by estate agents, it's usually only by small, local independent ones. Whilst this may make it harder to gather useful information about them, it seems to be the larger concerns that cause so many headaches for unsuspecting buyers anyway.

I'm not "pushing" off-plan here. Anyone who follows my other posts will be aware that I actually prefer re-sale and think it is probably the safer option all told. But there seems to be a lot of negativity lately and there's always two sides to the coin. Plus, I'm in a good mood today so thought I'd spread it around a bit!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Apr 2007 12:45 PM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Roberto you are right some of the new builds in the towns are pretty safe to buy with all the services in place its not much risk and the small builders and estate agents are mostly better to contact if you need any info, we are over sixty so off plan for us is a bit too long term we like to see the building at least nearly finished as some of the finished recent builds the quality is pretty bad and we dont like very much concrete around but thats our taste. have a good day    regards Rosi n 

Like 0      
26 Apr 2007 1:28 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Fortunately in our area there is a maximum 3 storey height on new builds, so the trees still have a chance amongst the concrete jungle, but I understand how you feel. Most of the new small apartment buildings seem to go from a hole in the ground to finished article in about 18 months (like I said, they're mostly quite small), so again, off-plan doesn't have to be too long term a project.

I checked out a show home in one of the local new builds recently, and was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of materials, fixtures and fittings, but I agree with you that this is most certainly not always the case.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 Feb 2012 12:38 AM by Algarve Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Have a look at this website: investment properties in algarve . com I downloaded the list and although a lot of the properties are out of my price range there are some serious savings to be had in relation to the prices that were advertised before Portugal took a bailout from the E.U.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Webcam 24hrs of the day animals, towns, seasides, places of interest - 0 posts
Part Time Work - 3 posts
83 LOOKY MEN ARRESTED IN MARBELLA - 2 posts
ESCAPED CROCODILE CAPTURED - 0 posts
El Estribo - Sabinillas , CDS - 32 posts
Anyone suggest good lawyer in Guardamar are? - 10 posts
Interest Only Mortgages - 2 posts
Disney Land in Murcia. - 13 posts
New Airport??? - 40 posts
occupation licence duquesa. - 14 posts
Advertising for short term rentals - 1 posts
'Bubble' fears hit Spanish property - 3 posts
Why?....Confused! - 2 posts
Stories from Spain - 0 posts
What to Eat (and drink ! ) in the "real" Spain - 5 posts
OPEL ZAFIRA 2.0 DTI FOR SALE - 4 posts
Dunelm's (in the UK) - 7 posts
Mortgage Advice - 56 posts
Parpapiro's - Duquesa - Costa del Sol - 4 posts
What do we do with unwanted furniture?? - 8 posts
news from my solicitor - 122 posts
Las Palmeras de Calhonda - 0 posts
5 - 1/2 years and thought we had got there - 3 posts
Deed Value compared to house price - 50 posts
New Horizon Villas - 22 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x