NIE by POA

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 May 2010 12:00 AM by BigAl Star rating. 86 posts Send private message

BigAl´s avatar

I sent the photocopy of every single page of the passport as requested by the solicitor so he could apply for the NIE using the Power of Attorney. He tells me that when he went to the Police station they refused the NIE stating that the passport had to be notorised. He claims the rules have changed.

Has anyone very recently obtained an NIE via the solicitor using a POA and if so did you have the same issue with the Police station?

Regards,

Allan

Like 0      
03 May 2010 8:09 PM by connas007 Star rating. 43 posts Send private message

i got nie's in jan/feb using poa. which had to be obtained at the notary.

Like 0      
03 May 2010 8:26 PM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Hi Allan,

It seems the rules have only just changed and I understand that the passports now have to be notarised in the applicants country of residence.  

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      
04 May 2010 10:24 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

When we got our NIE 3 years ago, our Spanish solicitor made us go to a UK notary for notarise the POA and our passports. We then had to send these off to the FCO for the Apostille (can't remember the full name) which then got sent to Spain. Our solicitor was only able to apply for a NIE on our behalf in Cartagena.

Mark

Like 0      
04 May 2010 10:53 AM by maylin Star rating in Andalucia and Hertfo.... 71 posts Send private message

Allan,

The rules have changed. Sometimes they are applied sometimes not.

Best thing to do is this.   Take your original passport(s) to a Public Notary together with a copy. You will find a Notary local to you on the Notaries Society website. He will 'Notarise' the copy - sign and stamp it -  (cost around £50). Then depending on the urgency you or he can then send or take the notarised copy to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office at Milton Keynes (See their website) for an Apostille (certificate to authenticate Notary) to be attached (cost about £30). Sending takes about 2/3 weeks. Personal visit is done on the day. Then send it to your abogado in Spain, or the person who has your POA. Job Done.

It seems complicated but really is simple. I have done similar on numerous occasions.

Hope that helps - Good Luck.

Like 0      
04 May 2010 11:09 AM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

The rules have not changed, you have always needed either to go to the police station in person or to have your passport notarised as a true copy and apostilled according to the "Convenio de La Haya", Hague Convention.

The only thing thats has changed is they now ask fore more pages than before as before it was only the page with your photo and your details.

The power of attorney if done in the UK also has to be apositlled.  The only time the documents do not need to be apostilled is when they have been signed in Spain or the Spanish embassy.

By the way, you do know that you can apply for your own NIE numbers at the Spanish embassy and that they take less time and are a lot chepaer than doing it with a lawyer in Spain??

Joan

Like 0      
04 May 2010 11:42 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

A few months ago they relaxed the rule that if applying on behalf of someone else it was necessary to also present a private contract and proof that the deposit had been paid.

But the copy passport if certified outside Spain always had to be done by a practising notary and then legalised by having the apostille certificate affixed.

I was not aware it was now necessary to copy all pages of the passport.

Joan do you know if the police station on malaga are insisting upon all pages being presented.

The main problem each police station and each person there have their own rules and a Spanish applicant is treated very differently to an English applicant - I am referring to when applying on someone's behalf.

Like 0      
04 May 2010 12:31 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

Faro,

Some people i met the other night applied for theirs in Marbella and they applied for one for their son that was not here and they had power of attorney and were told they had to have the page that states that it is a europen passport, normally the second page or so, as they did not have that page they were not able to do it.

Joan

Like 0      
04 May 2010 1:56 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Joan

Sounds like a police man just being awkward again and finding another reason to turn someone away!

The picture page gives all the necessary details unless this was a non eu passport which might be somehow different?

I would have popped back the next day go to different person and smile and try to habla a few words.

Malaga police is pretty straightforward and there's never any major queue and they don't operate the crap "meat counter" ticketing system and you can always park behind the police station. I'm always in and out in 20 mins.

Like 0      
04 May 2010 2:18 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

Faro,

If anything was straightforward in Spain life would be much easier.

For example: The Isle of Man is british but not part of the Europen Union and therefore they can not apply for an NIE in the normal way.

That particular page of the passport confirms if or not you actually have a passport from a E.U. country.

At least this is the information i have found on a few websites when i have been looking around and my solicitors in Marbella also confirmed this information to me this morning as we are still trying to sort out these peoples son NIE without having to go to the notary in the UK again.

Joan

Like 0      
04 May 2010 9:32 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Joan

Might I suggest getting that page scanned and emailed over and then attaching it to the apostilled document.

The apostille is only ever attached to the last page.

I would suggest a bit of green tape/ribbon to make it look all official.

I have my own impressed seal and wafers to make documents look official........

Like 0      
04 May 2010 10:30 PM by BigAl Star rating. 86 posts Send private message

BigAl´s avatar

Thanks everyone,

The thing that really annoys me is that I had the POA documentation notorised in the UK and went to Milton Keynes in person to get it appostlised, (only about 6 weeks ago), sent it by recorded delivery to our Solicitor in Spain. Now when they have tried to use the POA to get the NIE, they tell me things have cahnged and I have to repeat the process agian for the passport.

Regards,

Allan

Like 0      
05 May 2010 9:19 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Allan

Why not just send over the actual passport?

The POA will stand.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Schooling - 1 posts
renting a space in a hotel - 4 posts
Help! How do I remove mould/mildew from a sofa? - 7 posts
medina de banus - 0 posts
medina de banus - 0 posts
Guardamar - Playa Los Tusales - 0 posts
Just curious..... - 138 posts
Schools in/around Manilva - 0 posts
Bank charges - 4 posts
i need to swap my rhd for lhd. - 1 posts
Greece seals rescue deal with EU and IMF - 2 posts
Bus trips to Gibraltar - 14 posts
does any one know were i can buy a jet ski from - 3 posts
amber pools - 6 posts
Pets - 10 posts
Hola from Madrid - 9 posts
buyer or seller to pay yearly IBI? - 1 posts
Sofa shop/warehouse - 3 posts
selling without an agent or solicitor - 2 posts
Appliances - 5 posts
Looking for Dave in Dolores in the orange grove - 3 posts
Happy May Day, what do YOU remember about your childhood days - 0 posts
Good restuarants in Mazarron and Puerto de Mazarron - 1 posts
Rebooking on Monarch (after the volcano) - 4 posts
Sony SET TV on TDT gone. - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x