Koi in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Apr 2007 12:00 AM by smccartney Star rating in Jerez. 84 posts Send private message

I keep Koi here in the UK and whilst I won't be able to take them to Spain! I might like to have a Koi pond in Spain.
Has anyone experience of keeping Koi in Spain?

Stephen

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 9:09 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Amazing what you can turn up if you just Google! Found the following that may be able to help you:

http://www.koihacienda.com/en/

http://www.elkoi.com/

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 9:16 PM by smccartney Star rating in Jerez. 84 posts Send private message

Very good Reberto!

I guess I should of had the sense to try googling, so I can buy Koi in Spain. Still interested in the keeping of Koi in Spain and differences of a Koi pond in the UK.

Stephen

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 9:21 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Sorry, I know nothing about Koi (except that Freddie mercury kept them!), I was just intrigued by your post so did a little search. Probably the links I found will be worth contacting for more information. One thing that occured to me, is that there are probably far more feral cats roaming around in Spain than UK. Are they fond of Koi?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 10:54 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

A word of warning!

A neighbour of my Brother who lives in Aspe near Elche, CB, got a Spanish builder to construcdt a "special" Koi pool.

He exported his very expensive Koi from the UK, only to have them die one by one in Spain.

Not sure why, was it the pool? Was it the climate?

But this guy lost 1.000's of pounds worth of fish.

I have kept Koi in the past, for many a year.

I wouldn't recommend them in Spain.

The heat of the summer would kill them off, when ever have you seen a fish pond with even ordinary goldfish in Spain?

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 11:00 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Combination of things I imagine but Koi dont like it really hot - probably ok indoors somewhere 

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 11:23 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

There's an Arab restaurant opposite where I live, and they have a small pond in their patio, which USED to have Koi in it. Haven't checked recently if it still does. (They also used to have a Rotweiler, but haven't seen that for while come to think of it).

Koi are Japanese in origin, right? Surely it gets hot in Japan? They are also very popular in China, and I remember seeing plenty of them in gardens around Shanghai, which certainly gets hot. 

Certainly I can imagine a change of climate could affect them though, just as a change in water temparature can kill them. But Stephen said he won't be bringing them from the UK.

Common goldfish can actually be remarkably hardy. My sister in law won two in a bag at a fair over 25 years ago. They are still alive and healthy today, in the same bowl they have lived in since then, even having survived a tomato ketchup attack by burglars some years ago.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 11:28 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
We ad a goldfish won by my not so little one at the feria last year - we werent terribly kind to it and kept it cooped up in the small "tank" she was awarded (for 5€) with the fish she won - beyond all expectations it survived for about 7 months and finally on her birthday she was given a lovely goldfish bowl so that her fish could start to enjoy a better quality of life - day after the house move it pegged it and now we have a noce round bowl for pot pourri or a candle or something  

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 11:29 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Roberto!

You never cease to amaze me!

The Rotweiler must have eaten the Koi, then the Arab restaurant put it on the menu as surf and turd............

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 11:39 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Fibby, what have I said now? You know I only ever report hard facts.

I won a fish once when I was a kid. Called him Jaws (of course!) It survived a few weeks before going to the great goldfish bowl in the sky. I made a little wooden coffin for him and buried him in the garden. I cried for a week

Who'd have thought Stephens's thread could get so interesting?! I'm thinking of starting one about x-ray film to see how much interest it gets!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 11:53 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Roberto,

Your little goldfish will still be looking down on you mate, no worries.

We have a slug in our garden that has been there for years.

Every year, it brings all it's little babies out to see me, we feed it pellets, blue ones, and it loves them.

So sad when pets go to heavan eh?

But, if you have your goldfish and I have my slug, we will be fine sweetness!

(Only jesting for fun Roberto!)

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 11:58 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
God, I'm actually listening to Tell Me There's a Heaven, by Chris Rea, as I'm typing this. Now I'm getting all choked!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
16 Apr 2007 12:05 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar
Saw Chris Rea in concert in Wembley, choked me too..........no Koi on the stage though, or goldfish or dogs,,

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
21 Apr 2007 4:16 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Koi Hacienda (see link in previous post) are advertising in this week's Sur in English - maybe they saw this thread and realised there was more interest out there than they thought?! Who'd have thought?......

Mark Twain

Like 0      
21 Apr 2007 4:26 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/18/2007.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2007 6:11 PM by Koi Hacienda Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi Stephen,

Stll looking for info about keeping kois in Spain?

No problem at all. This fishes can have 35°C (watertemperature) as long you give them enough oxigen. I can help you with more infomation if you like.

Once bitten by the Koi fly you will never stop to love this animal.

Like 0      
07 Jun 2007 11:24 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Welcome to the forum, Koi Hacienda.

Did you see my previous post about my sister in law's goldfish? They are now 25 years old. A friend of mine who keeps tropical fish says this is impossible, but the evidence is there in a bowl in Liverpool for all to see! Is this a record, in your experience?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 Jun 2007 8:10 AM by Koi Hacienda Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi Roberto,

We don't have any experience with goldfish. Koi can live for 80 years so goldfish can certainly live long also. They are from the same familie.

Like 0      
10 Jun 2007 7:16 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Thanks Koi, I better tell my sister in law to make adequate provision for them in her will!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
14 Jun 2007 3:16 PM by smccartney Star rating in Jerez. 84 posts Send private message

Thanks Hacienda

I never have any trouble with 35 deg water in Ireland, just stopping it freezing over in winter :)

So a deep, shaded pond with a large air pump and no problems?

They probabily grow quicker aswell as feeding all year, can only feed here for 6 months on proper food (water above 10 deg) and wheatgerm food for 2 months (water above 4deg).

Cheers
Stephen

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

early repayment of mortgage - 16 posts
Self Cert Mortgages - 35 posts
Marbella Rugby Championship - proud mum posting! - 29 posts
anyone seen my kids? abducted and taken to porta banus - 5 posts
Parking - 2 posts
My driving license has hit a brick wall! - 28 posts
BEWARE!!! EXCESS BAGGAGE - 32 posts
candymar los pacos fuengirola - 0 posts
Completion Works On New Developments - 7 posts
purchased in 2001 and still not finished - 4 posts
Mast for Broadband and Landline phones. - 5 posts
Offset Mortgages - 3 posts
FRAUDULENT MORTGAGE BROKER NICKED AT NOTARY - 8 posts
Anyone buying on Royal Dreams Site in Albudeite? - 8 posts
understanding spanish written word - 5 posts
EMERGENCY GAS ENGINEERS - 11 posts
Joinery work in Spain - 6 posts
Sold Again!!! - 3 posts
Solo hablamos español por favor - 50 posts
Spanish ONLY in here PLEASE. - 35 posts
Computer problem!!! - 14 posts
Lanzarote Villa - damp problem - 0 posts
Buy/Register Car in Gib and run in Spain - 5 posts
arenal 2000 benalmadena golf - 10 posts
For you men out there - 94 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 21

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x