FRAUDULENT MORTGAGE BROKER NICKED AT NOTARY

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Apr 2007 12:00 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Rumour has it that a local mortgage broker was apprehended at the Notary last Monday for enticing a client to produce fraudulent documents in support of a mortgage application - thankfully someone at last appears to be taking action. I am told that the lender and the authorities allowed the application to go all the way to Notary to completion as it will be easier to make the case against stick. However the client was not allowed to complete on the purchase as the supporting documents were fake. The broker is going to get done (hopefully). The purchaser has lost any money paid so far and as he is also considered culpable, it is likely wont have a chance of getting a mortgage in Spain in the future - this is conjecture but from a reliable source so have no reason to believe untrue. There are also currently two cases being brought against major brokers UK based by lenders here for fraudulent mortgage applications - news just gets better and better for those of us who have chosen to do things the right way!

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
13 Apr 2007 5:35 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar

Sure looks like some people are so desperate for business that all their ethics go out of the window in an effort to earn a crust.  It´s just another sign of poor market conditions. 

I would change jobs rather than stoop that low and bring shame to my company and family.

I wonder what his real motivation was to do such a thing??

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
13 Apr 2007 8:42 PM by Marts Star rating in Marbella. 6 posts Send private message

This is really bad...Unfortunately you hear about it all the time.The banks tell you real shocking stories... I heard a very similar story to Smiley's ( from a lawyer this time) about 1 month ago. Apparently the bank knew it from the very beginning but said nothing. The area manager of  the bank turned up at the signing & you can imagine the rest... A Big mess! Banks are certainly more aware of these practices and are fighting agains them... so this is good news! I even heard about clients presenting fake passports. So imagine, the client wasn't even the client... 

Having said this, I saw a very interesting programme the other day on TV about an undercover journalist obtaining 20 fake passports in the EU! It was on Spanish TV but the programme was from the BBC.  It was shown on Panorama I think...The repporter travelled through Europe & was able to obtain 22 fake or stolen passports...!!! I mean what can you say about this... ? I recommend watching it. It was exellent. A very brave repporter too as she had to deal with all sorts of dodgy people...

marta@easy2loan.com

Like 0      
13 Apr 2007 10:01 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
About £350 in several London pubs - no doubt other places as well

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
13 Apr 2007 10:53 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Blimey - prices HAVE risen - thats downright robbery!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
13 Apr 2007 11:21 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

So what's different in Spain as opposed to the UK!

We all know that you can get employers in the UK to lie about your earnings in order to get a mortgage, some lenders know it happens and turn a blind eye!

I know of a couple, resident in Spain who lied through their back teeth and got fraudulent pay slips to prove non existant earniings in order to get a Spanish mortgage.

They had never been legally employed in Spain since moving there in 2003!

Always touting for work, airport runs, cleaning whatever...............

It happens everywhere!

Glad the mortgage lender got caught though, so many sharks let people take on more than they can re-pay comfortably.

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
13 Apr 2007 11:43 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Sorry Fibby you wrong - it was the lender that picked up on it because of due diligence (which is becoming more thorough in Spain thankfully) - filed a report to the authorities rather than just declining the application - was decided that there would be a stronger court case to make if they let it go all the way to completion at the Notary - lenders we find have generally tightened up - I am afraid that it is many people in my profession who have encouraged this type of activity from potential borrowers but they are gradually being wheedled out. All our personnel are trained and UK qualified - not that it means anything here as there is no regulation but we act in the same ethos as if we were working in a regulated environment.  When I arrived here a few years back I was going into a few estate agents and we were discussing things such as dodgy payslips etc and I was asked if we dealt with that type of client - I sat on my moral high ground (as opposed to my fat arse before anyone else says it) and proudly declared that it was something we would never do - the estate agent said that we wouldnt last six months - well I guess we must be doing something right and I have to say it has paid serious dividends with the lenders in terms of what we can and cant do in relation to their criteria - we regularly get them to be more open minded about things than they might otherwise be - they know we wont deal with the dodgy stuff!

Like 0      
14 Apr 2007 12:24 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

I stand corrected Smiley, but you got my drift didn't you?

In your case the lender was on the ball, normally, they don't give a damn, just as long as they get the "sale".

Most high Street Banks are putting thier staff under pressure to sell, sell, sell, they have targets to meet.

I am glad to hear your sales strategy is gentlemanly, that must be a first in this dog eat dog world. (or is it alligator eat alligator world)?

He he he!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
14 Apr 2007 8:59 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Oh Fibby Fibby Fibby - things are very different here to how you perceive - the lenders we use are extremely cautious when it comes to assessing income and they do the appropriate checks - we ensure that they have evry piece of information they could need to assess a client on risk - we have even taught them how to confirm documentation is genuine - there are without doubt still lenders that are less than careful (one specifically that I have in mind and we do not use them as their products suck) and worse still brokers that are willing to compound this problem but it is getting cleaner. Until about 18 months ago if a client went three months into arrears the lender had to deposit 20% of the outstanding mortgage debt with the Bank of Spain as provision against a bad debt - that has now changed and the ante has been increased to 100% of the debt - effectively dead money for the lender so not in their interest to be less than careful

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Anyone buying on Royal Dreams Site in Albudeite? - 8 posts
understanding spanish written word - 5 posts
EMERGENCY GAS ENGINEERS - 11 posts
Joinery work in Spain - 6 posts
Sold Again!!! - 3 posts
Solo hablamos español por favor - 50 posts
Spanish ONLY in here PLEASE. - 35 posts
Computer problem!!! - 14 posts
Lanzarote Villa - damp problem - 0 posts
Buy/Register Car in Gib and run in Spain - 5 posts
arenal 2000 benalmadena golf - 10 posts
For you men out there - 94 posts
A note of caution - 10 posts
Military/Service Pensions - 3 posts
Car Trailer For Sale - 2 posts
Alcaidesa - 3 posts
does anyone know.... - 15 posts
Homefirst Properties - 28 posts
Funniest Client Enquiries - 32 posts
My broken fridge freezer!! - 35 posts
Note of Caution - 26 posts
Aircon info needed, please. - 6 posts
Selling homes abroad Channel 4 - 22 posts
Deposit returned - 18 posts
Power of Attorney and Hague Apostille - 27 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x