Buy/Register Car in Gib and run in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Apr 2007 12:00 AM by gusdonnelly Star rating in Casares Del Sol PM2.... 60 posts Send private message

If I buy and register a car in Gibraltar - VAT free? - can I live in Spain and use the car without problems?

Like 0      
12 Apr 2007 3:09 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Im sure it comes under the same issues as not haveing a Spanish reg car. You would probably have to import it if you were going to use it permenantly.

The only people I know who do this either live in Gib and work in Spain or the other way around so the car is still legally used in its home country

Having said that no one seems to have much of a problem but if the Guardia stopped you then possibly you would need proof the car was mainly used and based in Gib.

Check with  a lawyer or search google.

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
12 Apr 2007 3:22 PM by johnone Star rating in La Reserva de Marbel.... 233 posts Send private message

johnone´s avatar

Im sure it is the case that cars regiseterd in Gibraltar are treated the same as any foreign car, and the rules about importation and registration apply.You can try the telephone number for customs in Gibraltar  00 350 78879, give them a call they should be able to give you all the info you need.

Hope this is of use

John

Dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres.

Like 0      
12 Apr 2007 3:28 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Gus, to register a car in Gibraltar you need a Gibraltar address.  If you have one then to be honest, it wouldn't really be a problem if you spent most of the time in Spain with it.....although it is a bit naughty I suppose!

Anyway, cars in Gib are nowhere near as cheap as they used to be, even though they are supposed to be tax free.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
12 Apr 2007 4:12 PM by gusdonnelly Star rating in Casares Del Sol PM2.... 60 posts Send private message

It seemed too good to be true!

Like 0      
04 Jun 2007 11:42 AM by malagaman2005 Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 1 posts Send private message

Going by an experience my friend had, he attracted a lot of unwanted attention from the Guardia/Police on the CDS whilst driving around in a Gib plated car, they don't like them and seem to go out of their way to make life difficult for the drivers.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

arenal 2000 benalmadena golf - 10 posts
For you men out there - 94 posts
A note of caution - 10 posts
Military/Service Pensions - 3 posts
Car Trailer For Sale - 2 posts
Alcaidesa - 3 posts
does anyone know.... - 15 posts
Homefirst Properties - 28 posts
Funniest Client Enquiries - 32 posts
My broken fridge freezer!! - 35 posts
Note of Caution - 26 posts
Aircon info needed, please. - 6 posts
Selling homes abroad Channel 4 - 22 posts
Deposit returned - 18 posts
Power of Attorney and Hague Apostille - 27 posts
40 questions! - 11 posts
Do you want items from over 80 UK high street shops ? - 0 posts
Hacienda Requlme Accomodation - 5 posts
Webcams all over Valencia region - 9 posts
Hacienda Requelme - 1 posts
Floor Safes - 15 posts
Car Needed, second hand, preferably Spanish Plates. - 1 posts
Free healthcare in Murcia - 2 posts
vehicle air conditioning - 2 posts
Regarding the Forum help board - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x